Value of: Laine in the off-season

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
And I think it's pretty reasonable to want a highly skilled player back if we are trading one of our most highly skilled players.

If I put together a mish mash of picks and lesser players for Eichel.....how would you say you would feel about that?

It’s just a dumb, thoughtless counter that doesn’t help the conversation.

Reactions: CraniumCram

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
40+ goal scorers don’t grow on trees.

Doesnt mean you give away money just because

Hes not even gonna hit 40 goals the way hes been playing

Only an idiot who's careless about money would give away 10 million

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It's really simple. The Jets simply say you have not earned that 10 million. He is not better than Wheeler who makes 8.25 million and just bought all UFA years.

Long term in the 7-8 million...or 2 year bridge in the 5-6 range.

And when Nylanders 6.9 is brought up, you simply say "We don't overpay like they did. Look at Wheeler and Scheifele as our leaders"

Don't see that working very much. RFA deals are going to be changing and so will UFA deals. Matthews just got more than Tavares for less term as a RFA. Before him and Nylander, McDavid, Eichel and Drai paved the way with high cap hits for RFA's.

Then when guys like Point, Ratanen, Marner, etc all sign I am willing to bet it is in the upper single digits at minimum. There will not be this "You are worse than player x and they make y so you take x or leave it". He'll simply sit like Nylander did which is a massive distraction in the room and weakens the team.

Laine has an ego, that is well known. He won't take kindly to that kind of hardball. Seems like a good way to sour relations with the players, by setting unrealistic standards based on the market. Also can't count out an offer sheet threat from a team with cap space who could use a damn near generational goal scorer who just needs to put it together.

For example, imagine Carolina acquiring him to play beside Aho. Would be the Laine next to Statsny and basically ignite the offense and giving them a strong top 6, especially if they acquire another top 6 center via trade at some point.

Leaf fans were forced to open their eyes and no amount of laughing at the Leafs or saying Dubas sucks will change reality. Every fan base will have the same realizations over the next few years as RFA contracts explode.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Don't see that working very much. RFA deals are going to be changing and so will UFA deals. Matthews just got more than Tavares for less term as a RFA. Before him and Nylander, McDavid, Eichel and Drai paved the way with high cap hits for RFA's.

Then when guys like Point, Ratanen, Marner, etc all sign I am willing to bet it is in the upper single digits at minimum. There will not be this "You are worse than player x and they make y so you take x or leave it". He'll simply sit like Nylander did which is a massive distraction in the room and weakens the team.

Laine has an ego, that is well known. He won't take kindly to that kind of hardball. Seems like a good way to sour relations with the players, by setting unrealistic standards based on the market. Also can't count out an offer sheet threat from a team with cap space who could use a damn near generational goal scorer who just needs to put it together.

For example, imagine Carolina acquiring him to play beside Aho. Would be the Laine next to Statsny and basically ignite the offense and giving them a strong top 6, especially if they acquire another top 6 center via trade at some point.

Leaf fans were forced to open their eyes and no amount of laughing at the Leafs or saying Dubas sucks will change reality. Every fan base will have the same realizations over the next few years as RFA contracts explode.
Here is the difference though.

McDavid was best player in the league.
Matthews has been dubbed to be on that level BY LEAFS MGT.
Drai they paid their 2nd best player
Marner will get paid because the Leafs Mgt already showed their cards

The Jets can easily sit there and say AT BEST, Laine is the 3rd best forward. And he is having an awful year...something no one you listed had/are having. You think Marner gets 10 million if he is on pace for 50 points?

And that's the issue for Laine, he had a shit year in his contract year. Not one of the guys he will want his contract to be compared with, has had that. And the Jets are is a position to squeeze him for it. Take less on a long term deal in that 7-8 range, or bet on yourself on a 2 year deal.

Laine having a crap year this year will be great for the Jets and save them money. Just like how Marner having a great year is going to cost the Leafs more now than it did in the summer.

Reactions: DRW204

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Here is the difference though.

McDavid was best player in the league.
Matthews has been dubbed to be on that level BY LEAFS MGT.
Drai they paid their 2nd best player
Marner will get paid because the Leafs Mgt already showed their cards

The Jets can easily sit there and say AT BEST, Laine is the 3rd best forward. And he is having an awful year...something no one you listed had/are having. You think Marner gets 10 million if he is on pace for 50 points?

And that's the issue for Laine, he had a **** year in his contract year. Not one of the guys he will want his contract to be compared with, has had that. And the Jets are is a position to squeeze him for it. Take less on a long term deal in that 7-8 range, or bet on yourself on a 2 year deal.

Laine having a crap year this year will be great for the Jets and save them money. Just like how Marner having a great year is going to cost the Leafs more now than it did in the summer.

Disagree. It's been widely reported Matthews got that deal because goal scoring is a premium in the league and he is right at the top with Ovi and.. Laine in goals since he entered the league. Laine has 36, 44, and likely near mid 30's goals on his ELC. I bet you it's near impossible to find another comparable like that.

So when Marner, Rantanen, etc are all playmakers first and foremost and get 9M, how can you justify paying a goal scoring winger less than that? 1 year means nothing, he's shown flashes of the player he can be given the right usage and linemates. Not a single person would be shocked if Laine scored 40 goals a year for the next 8 years after this, and both WPG and Laine's camp know this.

He will get paid regardless. If he signs a bridge and then goes off and score 50 goals one or two of the years, he will be looking for 13-14M in a few seasons with the rising cap and the increase of RFA contracts. Chevy might see value in overpaying now to make it manageable long term.

Perhaps he is able to overpay in AAV but get Laine to take term. Something like 10/11M over 8 years. Would still be a ridiculously good contract for the Jets when you consider other deals and Laine gets compensated.

Only risk is if this is the new Laine that is a terrible deal.. but I think you and others are being Naive with this situation.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Disagree. It's been widely reported Matthews got that deal because goal scoring is a premium in the league and he is right at the top with Ovi and.. Laine in goals since he entered the league. Laine has 36, 44, and likely near mid 30's goals on his ELC. I bet you it's near impossible to find another comparable like that.

So when Marner, Rantanen, etc are all playmakers first and foremost and get 9M, how can you justify paying a goal scoring winger less than that? 1 year means nothing, he's shown flashes of the player he can be given the right usage and linemates. Not a single person would be shocked if Laine scored 40 goals a year for the next 8 years after this, and both WPG and Laine's camp know this.

He will get paid regardless. If he signs a bridge and then goes off and score 50 goals one or two of the years, he will be looking for 13-14M in a few seasons with the rising cap and the increase of RFA contracts. Chevy might see value in overpaying now to make it manageable long term.

Perhaps he is able to overpay in AAV but get Laine to take term. Something like 10/11M over 8 years. Would still be a ridiculously good contract for the Jets when you consider other deals and Laine gets compensated.

Only risk is if this is the new Laine that is a terrible deal.. but I think you and others are being Naive with this situation.
Keep this post and we can agree to disagree. Laine WON'T get 10 million. Just watch. Gentleman's bet. Hell, I will say he won't get 9 FROM THE JETS.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Keep this post and we can agree to disagree. Laine WON'T get 10 million. Just watch. Gentleman's bet. Hell, I will say he won't get 9.

Of course the caveat is term, he won't get that on a bridge deal. Anything over 5 years he gets 9 or more easily. I am willing to revisit this too. Should be fun to see who is right.

Reactions: Tripod

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
i think most Jets fans would quickly decline
Huh. I'm not a Jets fan, but i thought it looked like pretty fair value depending on whether you think Laine can return to form.

Perhaps it explains why I am continually rebuilding my dynasty team though. Trading off Star level assets for packages of potential.

Reactions: Reddwit

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He’s having a down season, but he’s going to be an RFA and want a lot of money. Is WPG ready to commit $10 mil/year to him? If not, is the scenario where he’s a trade chip?

Asking specifically for Buffalo. Obviously Eichel and Dahlin are off the table.
Obviously you don't want Laine. I really doubt you're going to find much interest from Jet fans when you want to offer 3, 4, 5 small pieces. Turn off the video game.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Huh. I'm not a Jets fan, but i thought it looked like pretty fair value depending on whether you think Laine can return to form.

Perhaps it explains why I am continually rebuilding my dynasty team though. Trading off Star level assets for packages of potential.
evidently you're not a Jets fan, that's why i said Jet's fans would decline

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

It's cute how Leaf fans try and justify Dubas contracts. But you are correct agents are all looking at Leaf contracts as their bar.

I hope the Jets sign their RFAs before Dubas screws up the pay scale any more with what he's going to sign Marner to.

Reactions: Snowman

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Of course the caveat is term, he won't get that on a bridge deal. Anything over 5 years he gets 9 or more easily. I am willing to revisit this too. Should be fun to see who is right.
How does Laine reply when Chevy says:

"Team Captain Wheeler, coming off a 91 point season and multiple 70+ seasons, signed for 8.25 million for 5 years. And he is on pace for 94 this year. You essentially have 2 70 point seasons, and are posting a 50 point season this year. How can you justify being paid more than Wheeler?"

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
It's cute how Leaf fans try and justify Dubas contracts. But you are correct agents are all looking at Leaf contracts as their bar.

I hope the Jets sign their RFAs before Dubas screws up the pay scale any more with what he's going to sign Marner to.

It's cute when fans act condescending while completely missing the point of my post. Let's be clear, I have not supported the Matthews contract since before it was signed.

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017

"Team Captain Wheeler, coming off a 91 point season and multiple 70+ seasons, signed for 8.25 million for 5 years. And he is on pace for 94 this year. You essentially have 2 70 point seasons, and are posting a 50 point season this year. How can you justify being paid more than Wheeler?"

He replies: Wheeler's contract will start next season and cover his 33 yo to 38 yo seasons and my next contract will cover my 21 yo to 27/28 yo seasons. Which of us do you think will be more valuable during those contracts?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

"Given the Market for RFA's and in particular goal scorers, this salary is below the current market rate. I scored over 40 goals as a 19 year old and have the most goals coming off my ELC since Ovi. It's clear that I have the ability to impact the game at a high level and my value will rise every year in the contract. If caphit is the concern, I am willing to take less term to bring my caphit inline with Wheeler's. Perhaps something based around 5 years for 9M which puts me in the ballpark of Matthew' deal (who is my closest comparable for goal scoring) while taking into consideration center vs winger. "

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
For all the nonsense talked about offer sheets, Laine seems like the prime candidate for one.

Jets will 100% try to lowball him due to his massive slump, but I don't think Laine will have it. I could easily see another team taking advantage of the Jets botching Laine's development and offer-sheeting him $10M+ and the Jets won't be able to match.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad