Post-Game Talk: Laine hits 30! 5-4 Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Anyone who thinks Matthews didn't have his name engraved on the Calder the day he was drafted #1 overall by the Lords of Hockey, I have some magic beans to sell you :nod:.
Can you imagine how they would be saying if Matthews had more goals and points and came back from a serious concussion like Laine , wow . :shakehead

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Anyone who thinks Matthews didn't have his name engraved on the Calder the day he was drafted #1 overall by the Lords of Hockey, I have some magic beans to sell you :nod:.

Laine will have to beat him by a mile. Its quite clear.

However if Laine holds it against them and maintains his career 2.5 goals against Leafs.....Leaf fans will rue the day :sarcasm:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Until you deal with factual information, like rewatching the actual game and making actual obeservations of actual play, we have nothing to discuss.

If you believe Melch had a bad game, prove it by going over the actual film, making notes, and please tell me where this bad game occured.

You wont do this of course because it will conflict with your ignorant analyses of his actual game.

But I did, and I will have factual notes based off of actual events, not a preconceived notion based off of nothing relevant, other than you declaring he sucked.

Such a simplistic and baseless analyses, tell me exactly when and how he sucked or we have absolutely nothing to talk about. The best part of this is you beleiving Postma is a better option, when we have actual factual evidence over a prolonged time frame that tells us you are wrong.
Can't we all just get along . :laugh: Go Jets Go

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Can't we all just get along . :laugh: Go Jets Go

Sure, deal with facts and spare us with factless condemming statements about a player that simply are not true.

I am canvassing all coworkers and friends that are hockey nuts, how they felt about Melch's play on Tuesday. 5 people, all thought he played a solid game, not a one saying he was god awful and sucked.

I rewatched the game last night, I am 100 % confident in what I saw, and what I saw was a solid defenisive game.

So when I see something twice, when I talk to those not influenced by preconceived notions, or what they read on a forum, we all have shared the same analysis, how is that so?

I have no problem saying a player sucked, if that player sucked. Hate when I read nonsense aabout a player, that they sucked, based off of your beliefs of what that player is.

And unitl a certain poster proves his claim, with analyses of the game, time points of when this unequivical sucking play occured, its nonsense that cannot be backed up. I feel confident of this, because I rewatched the game closely, and this us completely unsupported.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff had a good game i have no idea what you guys are on about. Perrault is the most useless player on this team. I would rather see Connor back here right now and trade Perrault for a bag of pucks

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Buff had a good game i have no idea what you guys are on about. Perrault is the most useless player on this team. I would rather see Connor back here right now and trade Perrault for a bag of pucks

Wow, he had a hell of a game Tuesday, and has been one of our best players over the past 5 games.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not really, actually this is never the case.

For clarification, Stating that we lost because of a certain player, and sharing responsibility for a loss, are two different things.

At the end of the day, all players involved shared in the loss, but certain players had much much more to do with it than others. Melch did not have as much to do with that loss as others. He was on the ice for one goal, their PP goal from a lucky bank shot off the boards.

I re-watched the game last night, and its laughable to hear how some are saying he played. He made more solid plays than negative, and he actually had three very solid displays of getting the puck out under huge heat. He played major minutes, had one cough up in 22 mins. What the hell are some expecting from our 8th to 9th dman playing his first NHL game of the season?

[mod]

And to clearly state my intentions, as some like to try to paint me as proclaiming Melchiori is a top 6 dman for us. He is better than 3 players that are above him on our depth chart. I believe his game is better than Postma's, Stuart's and Chiarot. We are not setting a high bar there, but with our lack of D depth, IMO he should be our six to 7th man.

In a perfect world, we would have better options than we do, and if that was the case, Melch would be situated on the Moose permanently.

I have notchanged anything. I have consistantly said:

Melchiori did not play well and
None of the Jets D played well.

All the thousands of words you've typed have not changed my mind. The Jets lost primarily due to being hemmed in their own zone and being outcorsi'd 2-1. IMO that is primarily because our D were awful including Melchiori. I never said we lost because of Melchiori but I bet if Trouba played instead the Jets would have won the game.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I have notchanged anything. I have consistantly said:

Melchiori did not play well and
None of the Jets D played well.

All the thousands of words you've typed have not changed my mind. The Jets lost primarily due to being hemmed in their own zone and being outcorsi'd 2-1. IMO that is primarily because our D were awful including Melchiori. I never said we lost because of Melchiori but I bet if Trouba played instead the Jets would have won the game.

Maybe you should read the thousands of apparent words and understand them, before calling me out on them.

I said the loss was not because of Melch, you replied to that saying we did lose because of him and others, all shouldering the share the blame.

And if you do not reading past a sentence or two, then dont.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maybe you should read the thousands of apparent words and understand them, before calling me out on them.

I said the loss was not because of Melch, you replied to that saying we did lose because of him and others, all shouldering the share the blame.

And if you do not reading past a sentence or two, then dont.

I suggest you take your own advice.

BTW how do you know I didn't read your post? (For the record I did read it) Not agreeing with you is different than not reading what you wrote.

Why is this so important to you anyway? You won't be changing anyone's opinion of Melchiori around here. What are you trying to accomplish?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Sure, deal with facts and spare us with factless condemming statements about a player that simply are not true.

I am canvassing all coworkers and friends that are hockey nuts, how they felt about Melch's play on Tuesday. 5 people, all thought he played a solid game, not a one saying he was god awful and sucked.

I rewatched the game last night, I am 100 % confident in what I saw, and what I saw was a solid defenisive game.

So when I see something twice, when I talk to those not influenced by preconceived notions, or what they read on a forum, we all have shared the same analysis, how is that so?

I have no problem saying a player sucked, if that player sucked. Hate when I read nonsense aabout a player, that they sucked, based off of your beliefs of what that player is.

And unitl a certain poster proves his claim, with analyses of the game, time points of when this unequivical sucking play occured, its nonsense that cannot be backed up. I feel confident of this, because I rewatched the game closely, and this us completely unsupported.

What kind of facts are we talking about here? Your opinion that Melchiori didn't play a bad game?

Opinions =/= facts.

If you're talking about evidence that Melchiori played poorly, that's been provided. Whether or not you choose to accept it as evidence is your prerogative.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
What kind of facts are we talking about here? Your opinion that Melchiori didn't play a bad game?

Opinions =/= facts.

If you're talking about evidence that Melchiori played poorly, that's been provided. Whether or not you choose to accept it as evidence is your prerogative.

What evidence? A single game corsi, that could be applied to our entire D ?

I am willing to provide times during the game where he made solid plays, and I am also willing to do that with bad plays. I will watch the game a third time and do so, and I challenge anyone to do the same. If I am wrong, it should be easy to point out.

Many times things are stated on this forum with conviction, and go unchallenged, that they become, for lack of a better term, alternative facts.

I have no problem with Melch being called a scrub if he played like one.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I am willing to provide times during the game where he made solid plays, and I am also willing to do that with bad plays. I will watch the game a third time and do so, and I challenge anyone to do the same. If I am wrong, it should be easy to point out.

Many times things are stated on this forum with conviction, and go unchallenged, that they become, for lack of a better term, alternative facts.

I honestly haven't seen a single person here use single game Corsi as evidence for Melchiori playing poorly. Probably because single game shot differentials for a lone player can be incredibly misleading.

The evidence has been provided in the form of Melchiori misplacing or outright missing on easy breakout passes, and being late on a large number of pucks chipped into his corner or cycled in his vicinity. The tying goal, while a nice play/lucky bounce of the backboards, was at least partially caused by Melchiori failing to notice Nylander sneaking in from the point. If he reads that, there's a good chance he gets a stick or shin pad in the shooting lane.

Alternative facts? Wow. :shakehead

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Melchiori is about as solid as we need our 6-7th D to be at this point. I rarely noticed him anyways but in every game I've seen him play he is pretty strong and is much more defensively responsible than Postma.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You guys fighting slays me...

Keep this thread going for another 4 days...

"Hey HF posters go over to the Jets PGT thread, a hockey game just broke out" Who needs a Jets game when you've got this ?

:laugh: :handclap: :yo:

vizzini-laughing-o-1.gif

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I honestly haven't seen a single person here use single game Corsi as evidence for Melchiori playing poorly. Probably because single game shot differentials for a lone player can be incredibly misleading.

The evidence has been provided in the form of Melchiori misplacing or outright missing on easy breakout passes, and being late on a large number of pucks chipped into his corner or cycled in his vicinity. The tying goal, while a nice play/lucky bounce of the backboards, was at least partially caused by Melchiori failing to notice Nylander sneaking in from the point. If he reads that, there's a good chance he gets a stick or shin pad in the shooting lane.

Alternative facts? Wow. :shakehead

Corsi was referenced a few pages back.

The power play goal. Nylander starts off from our blue line, holding the point position. He should be watched by Mathias:

Goal1%20-%20Copy.png

Melch is down low playing off Komarov, then Hyman. Mathews gets the puck, faces up for the shot, Mathias is watching the shooter, who was also being watched by Tanev. Melch has his man tagged in front, Mathias has no one. When Nylander creeps from the point he automatically becomes Mathiases responsibility, Hyman and Komorov are Melchs responsibility.

goal2.png

There is now way a down low dman is going to not watch the shot, turn around, ignore his net assignments and tag off on the creeping blue line player. Mathias was sleeping there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It's not a single game subset his career body of work screams non NHL player.

Career CF% of 41.8 and -9.1 cF% rel. Simply put the Jets do much worse when he's on the ice then when he's not on the ice.

For reference:

Postma has a career CF% of 50.9 and a -.3 CF% Rel. In essence the Jets pretty much come close to breaking even with him on the ice.

Chariot:

Career CF% of 48.9 and CF% rel of -3.3. He's not good but doesn't hurt us as much as Julien does.

Even Mark Stuart has better numbers than him.

I think it should be pretty obvious who sticks out like a sore thumb in this list. It's not Postma and it's not even Chariot (Who needs to be upgraded.)

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Corsi was referenced a few pages back.

The power play goal. Nylander starts off from our blue line, holding the point position. He should be watched by Mathias:

Goal1%20-%20Copy.png

Melch is down low playing off Komarov, then Hyman. Mathews gets the puck, faces up for the shot, Mathias is watching the shooter, who was also being watched by Tanev. Melch has his man tagged in front, Mathias has no one. When Nylander creeps from the point he automatically becomes Mathiases responsibility, Hyman and Komorov are Melchs responsibility.

goal2.png

There is now way a down low dman is going to not watch the shot, turn around, ignore his net assignments and tag off on the creeping blue line player. Mathias was sleeping there.

:handclap: Screenshots with graphic enhancement... gauntlet thrown down begging for a reply...

bill-hader-eating-popcorn-smiling-snl.gif

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
There's a critical two seconds missing there. Matthias has to take away the cross seam from Matthews.

Point man sneaking down low on a powerplay is really hard to contain, with the obvious trade-off being that it's a guaranteed odd man rush or breakaway if there's a clean turnover. In reality, neither Matthias nor Melchiori is going to get a check on Nylander, but Melchiori is in far better position to take away the shooting lane and maybe get Nylander hesitating on the shot, which gives Helle time to get across.

It was a smart/lucky play by the Leafs and Melchiori ultimately deserves little blame for the goal, but it is an example of how slowly he reacts. Toby, as much as everyone seems to crap on him here, is exactly the guy you'd want on that play. He's great at anticipating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad