Post-Game Talk: Laine hits 30! 5-4 Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Sorry, i just had to clarify that it was a set play and he intentionally shot/passed it off the boards. In post game interviews both Matthews and Nylander admitted that they had practiced that pass.

Yes, and that was the 1 assist where the play actually happened because of him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sorry, i just had to clarify that it was a set play and he intentionally shot/passed it off the boards. In post game interviews both Matthews and Nylander admitted that they had practiced that pass.

Didn't the rest of his teammates say they didn't believe Matthews was passing there?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Let's just hope we don't dress that d group again. Ever.

Melchiori, Chiarot and Stuart are at best 7/8 dmen, and that's being generous imo. If Stuart is back even in a press box role next year, TNSE really needs to rethink how they operate and what is needed to build a proper roster.

It has to be clear to them he has very little value. Maybe he has a role as the grizzled veteran pro with the Moose. Maybe.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
All three D pairs sucked last night because they ****ed up the pairings. Everyone makes mistakes hopefully they adjust for next game and go back to Buff and Chiarot. Buff couldn't carry mellow.....Morrissey couldn't carry Chiarot......Postma couldn't carry Stu. Each pair was trash and we got lucky to get a point. More specifically all three D pairs really struggled to get the puck out of our zone consistently.....which caused troubles for our neutral zone transition......which caused problems for zone entries. This is why Toronto outshot us so badly. On top of that Buff Julian and Morrissey Chiarot both had brutal chemistry because they weren't familiar with each other. Yes the sum of our parts was not great but we compounded the problem with a coaching blunder IMO.

Thank god Anderson had an off night and we have some skilled scorers.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
TML fan chiming in: Rielly is playing through the after-effects of his high ankle sprain, so his skating is still coming back. Andersen has been having a rough stretch, though I believe that the defensive coverage has been horrid ever since the bye week. This was also one of those games that Matthews and Nylander played with regularity together 5v5...usually they only have shifts together after the PK. Also, these are some of Leivo's first games this year for the Leafs. I can't believe Hyman has been playing longer than Leivo.

As for the Jets: that was an interesting first goal against Halleybuyck (sp?) though he was pretty shaky through the game. Noticeable game by Perreault, Scheifele and Wheeler was okay too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
TML fan chiming in: Rielly is playing through the after-effects of his high ankle sprain, so his skating is still coming back. Andersen has been having a rough stretch, though I believe that the defensive coverage has been horrid ever since the bye week. This was also one of those games that Matthews and Nylander played with regularity together 5v5...usually they only have shifts together after the PK. Also, these are some of Leivo's first games this year for the Leafs. I can't believe Hyman has been playing longer than Leivo.

As for the Jets: that was an interesting first goal against Halleybuyck (sp?) though he was pretty shaky through the game. Noticeable game by Perreault, Scheifele and Wheeler was okay too.

Is it really that boring on the Leafs' board? Why do we care about O'Reilly's (sp?) recent play on defense for the Leafs?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Why do we care about Leaf players exactly? We won't play them again until next year. I personally change the channel when the Leafs are on TV.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Was Laine not noticeable scoring 2 goals ? :laugh:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Was Laine not noticeable scoring 2 goals ? :laugh:

No, the narrative is that both Laine and Matthews has bad games. I think its because Matthews got two lucky assists and almost cost his team the game with the penalty, so people feel the need to downplay Laine too.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
No, the narrative is that both Laine and Matthews has bad games. I think its because Matthews got two lucky assists and almost cost his team the game with the penalty, so people feel the need to downplay Laine too.
You know , listening to those fools on the panel saying Laine probably has to score at least 5 to 10 more goals than Matthews to win the calder is such a joke . Laine is only 18 years old , 18 . He is living in a different country , playing on a smaller ice surface , and learning a new language . For him to be doing what he is doing is down right amazing . And on top of all that , he's come back from a serious concussion without missing a beat , Ya no Matthews is the calder winner easy . Give me a break . :shakehead

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Media outside of Winnipeg and Finland doesn't care about Laine. They write about him, sure, but it's usually to pump Matthews's tires. When you watch so so called analytics talk about him, it becomes apparent that they have probably never seen a full game by him.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
You know , listening to those fools on the panel saying Laine probably has to score at least 5 to 10 more goals than Matthews to win the calder is such a joke . Laine is only 18 years old , 18 . He is living in a different country , playing on a smaller ice surface , and learning a new language . For him to be doing what he is doing is down right amazing . And on top of all that , he's come back from a serious concussion without missing a beat , Ya no Matthews is the calder winner easy . Give me a break . :shakehead

ya, sounds totally fair :laugh:
So Laine would basically have to win the Rocket to have a shot at Calder.
the criteria keep changing all the time. At some point it was powerplay points being somehow lesser points, but that's not the case anymore for some reason...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Why do we care about Leaf players exactly? We won't play them again until next year. I personally change the channel when the Leafs are on TV.

This. There is a perfectly functioning thread on the main boards for those who discuss Matthews and Laine.

I kind of guessed this would happen, but there is no way I am going to complain about six points out of eight from the last four games.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We did actually. All six D share the majority of the blame. Not sure why Melchiori is excused

Not really, actually this is never the case.

For clarification, Stating that we lost because of a certain player, and sharing responsibility for a loss, are two different things.

At the end of the day, all players involved shared in the loss, but certain players had much much more to do with it than others. Melch did not have as much to do with that loss as others. He was on the ice for one goal, their PP goal from a lucky bank shot off the boards.

I re-watched the game last night, and its laughable to hear how some are saying he played. He made more solid plays than negative, and he actually had three very solid displays of getting the puck out under huge heat. He played major minutes, had one cough up in 22 mins. What the hell are some expecting from our 8th to 9th dman playing his first NHL game of the season?

[mod]

And to clearly state my intentions, as some like to try to paint me as proclaiming Melchiori is a top 6 dman for us. He is better than 3 players that are above him on our depth chart. I believe his game is better than Postma's, Stuart's and Chiarot. We are not setting a high bar there, but with our lack of D depth, IMO he should be our six to 7th man.

In a perfect world, we would have better options than we do, and if that was the case, Melch would be situated on the Moose permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I didn't say it wasn't factual or tangible, just that you keep using it as an excuse. I don't care why he was awful, just that he was awful, and that's a fact. I never once said I expected him to perform as a top 4, not a once. I only commented on his play, which was not good, by many measures.

Nice hyperbole on the last sentence, like anyone said or believes that. Additionally, it's factually incorrect.

Lol, so its legit circumstances that would effect a player's performance, but we should refrain from referencing it because why? Doesnt support your narrative?

Rewatched the game last night, he did not play awful, nothing close to that. So you are completely out of whack on what you beleive he played like last night. I will even take this further this weekend, by making shift by shift notes that I will post on here, of his performance on Tuesday. And I fully challenge you to do the same.

And my last sentence is what? You believe Postma has provide top 4 level d with us?

Ya, who lacks the facts there?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lol, so its legit circumstances that would effect a player's performance, but we should refrain from referencing it because why? Doesnt support your narrative?

Reference it all you like, it doesn't change the fact he sucked, which is all anyone really said. If you want to believe he'll magically get better, go ahead, I've seen that script before. I'll argue it's much more likely he gets worse once the shark tank that is the NHL realizes who he is and starts taking advantage of it.

Rewatched the game last night, he did not play awful, nothing close to that. So you are completely out of whack on what you beleive he played like last night. I will even take this further this weekend, by making shift by shift notes that I will post on here, of his performance on Tuesday. And I fully challenge you to do the same.

You and I don't watch the same things so that would be pointless. Make as many notes as you want but you continually miss the point of what myself and others try to point out as the glaring weaknesses are in his game. The guy is a worse Chiarot, that's not good.

And my last sentence is what? You believe Postma has provide top 4 level d with us?
Your last sentence was this
"your puck handling phenom Postma has never provided that level,barely top 7"

The barely top 7 part is a load of rubbish.

Ya, who lacks the facts there?

What facts? You are literally the only guy on a message board, full of knowledgeable hockey fans, willing to die on your sword arguing that Melchiori somehow played a good game.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
ya, sounds totally fair :laugh:
So Laine would basically have to win the Rocket to have a shot at Calder.
the criteria keep changing all the time. At some point it was powerplay points being somehow lesser points, but that's not the case anymore for some reason...

Does the rocket include playoffs (probably)? Because Pate actually has a shot at it otherwise.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

For clarification, Stating that we lost because of a certain player, and sharing responsibility for a loss, are two different things.

Find me where anyone said this. Not one person has blamed Melchiori for single handedly losing the game against the Leafs, stop making **** up. What has been said ad nauseum is that there was very little chance the Jets were going to win that game with him, Chiarot and Stu playing the minutes they did. There would be very little chance of the Jets winning many games if that remained the same.

While the entire defense did not play all that well, some of that had to do with who Mo decided would be the pairings. Morrissey's and Buff's play was definitely impacted by their partners, no different than Trouba's was all last year with Stu. It's not hard.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Anyone who thinks Matthews didn't have his name engraved on the Calder the day he was drafted #1 overall by the Lords of Hockey, I have some magic beans to sell you :nod:.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Reference it all you like, it doesn't change the fact he sucked, which is all anyone really said. If you want to believe he'll magically get better, go ahead, I've seen that script before. I'll argue it's much more likely he gets worse once the shark tank that is the NHL realizes who he is and starts taking advantage of it.

You and I don't watch the same things so that would be pointless. Make as many notes as you want but you continually miss the point of what myself and others try to point out as the glaring weaknesses are in his game. The guy is a worse Chiarot, that's not good.

Your last sentence was this
"your puck handling phenom Postma has never provided that level,barely top 7"

The barely top 7 part is a load of rubbish.

What facts? You are literally the only guy on a message board, full of knowledgeable hockey fans, willing to die on your sword arguing that Melchiori somehow played a good game.

Until you deal with factual information, like rewatching the actual game and making actual obeservations of actual play, we have nothing to discuss.

If you believe Melch had a bad game, prove it by going over the actual film, making notes, and please tell me where this bad game occured.

You wont do this of course because it will conflict with your ignorant analyses of his actual game.

But I did, and I will have factual notes based off of actual events, not a preconceived notion based off of nothing relevant, other than you declaring he sucked.

Such a simplistic and baseless analyses, tell me exactly when and how he sucked or we have absolutely nothing to talk about. The best part of this is you beleiving Postma is a better option, when we have actual factual evidence over a prolonged time frame that tells us you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce