Laine’s off-season training (see warning in post 832)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Agreed. Laine's fattening off season last year could be why the Jets are monitoring it the way they are this time around, and not just in terms of calories.

Jets have been monitoring Laine like this since he was drafted. Dr. Slaunwhite has been in Finland in every summer and all test results get send down to Winnipeg.

Laine fattening last off season was something that Jets wanted.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets have been monitoring Laine like this since he was drafted. Dr. Slaunwhite has been in Finland in every summer and all test results get send down to Winnipeg.

Laine fattening last off season was something that Jets wanted.
I doubt they wanted him to gain so much. Morrissey and Ehlers also gained too much in previous off seasons and the Jets had to encourage them to modify their diet and training focus. I think the same is true of Laine, who got too heavy and now has realized he needs to watch his diet more carefully.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I doubt they wanted him to gain so much. Morrissey and Ehlers also gained too much in previous off seasons and the Jets had to encourage them to modify their diet and training focus. I think the same is true of Laine, who got too heavy and now has realized he needs to watch his diet more carefully.

This happens often enough to make me think that this is how they want young guys to progress. Bulk up and gain strength, then when that groundwork is complete, start working on speed and agility.

I find it very hard to believe that the Jets training staff wouldn't know every detail of a star player's off season traing/diet. There is too much at stake for them to just leave them for months to act on their own.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Last summer there was a clear goal for him to gain around 5kg more weight. After summer he said in an interview that he is happy that he reached the goal and it wasn't easy to gain so much weight.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
[mod] I never said that Laine couldn’t gain anything at all from some technical skating training at some point. But what I have said is what my eye test has shown me first of all and what Rautala and even Laine have said themselves: LAINE’S SKATING TECHNIQUE IS AT A GOOD LEVEL ALREADY. Doesn’t of course mean that it’s perfect for sure (no one has perfect skating technique, not even McDavid) and that he can’t get some benefit from polishing his skating in the same way like Barkov and Granlund did AFTER THEY HAD FINISHED WITH THE HARD PHYSICAL TRAINING. [mod]

I have been all the time pointing out that I perfectly trust in the prioritising with the training that Rautala and Laine do inside the season and also with longer time span goals that they have with his training. This is the main thing that I have been arguing with you, as you have been constantly bashing Rautala and showing great distrust at him and Laine not understanding in your opinion at all what is good for him with his training. Now you have also practically been at least hinting that they made great mistakes with Laine’s training last season, when they in reality were just following the earlier made plan and succeeded in what was sought out with the plan at that stage anyway.

That's from 2016 article when he was in Liiga and Rautala's comment.

You've said improving skating technique for Laine would be pointless and we shouldn't expect anything else than recovery skating from Laine in August, just admit that they disagree with you and let's move on.

Reactions: Tommigun

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That's from 2016 article when he was in Liiga and Rautala's comment.

You've said improving skating technique for Laine would be pointless and we shouldn't expect anything else than recovery skating from Laine in August, just admit that they disagree with you and let's move on.
I have said skating technique wouldn’t be the thing that will truly develop him anymore that much, especially during the time that he needs to do his hard physical training. So what that the article was from 2016? Are you claiming that his technique got worse after that? And so what that it was Rautala saying it? He is a 10 times better person to analyse Laine’s skating than any of the posters on this board. And do you even seriously think that his words have to do with only what he has thought of Laine’s skating? If you think that way too, then you must really think that he is a really horribly incompetent trainer.

You have a clear agenda that Laine has bad skating technique and that he needs so much skating because of that. But that is not true and that is why Laine needs to train June and July hard with concentrating only in the physical training. This is what I have been saying really. Nothing else. That he needs to fully prioritize in fixing his real problems, then after that he can still do some polishing with his skating technique.

But seriously dude, don’t expect him to change very much with his skating when he at some point does some figure skating exercises. I’m sure he will do that at some point, and I’m definitely for it, as long as Laine and the people responsible for his training and development see the time right for it. I have said nothing else here seriously, so can you please stop constantly making strawmen of things that I have posted before, by completely changing the context of how I really originally have posted about something, and by doing it selectively without mentioning what I have posted after all about the same subject otherwise.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This happens often enough to make me think that this is how they want young guys to progress. Bulk up and gain strength, then when that groundwork is complete, start working on speed and agility.

I find it very hard to believe that the Jets training staff wouldn't know every detail of a star player's off season traing/diet. There is too much at stake for them to just leave them for months to act on their own.
Gained weight last year.

Took sugar out of his diet and lost 6 kg this year.

I doubt that the long-term plan was to eat a lot of sugar and gain weight one year and then cut out sugar and lose a bunch of weight the next year.

Both Ehlers and Morrissey also gained too much weight in the off-season and had to modify their diet and training to slim down and get quicker.

I think that the Jets' trainers do try to guide the players and check in on them, but ultimately it's up to the players to follow regimens and some do so better than others.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Last summer there was a clear goal for him to gain around 5kg more weight. After summer he said in an interview that he is happy that he reached the goal and it wasn't easy to gain so much weight.
Then why did he need to cut sugar out of his diet and lose weight this year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Because Jets wanted that.

Last summer it was strenght and power -» more mass

This summer it is speed -» less mass
He gained too much weight, which is why he changed his diet and lost weight. The goal was to gain lean muscle mass. Obviously, much of the weight gain was superfluous, which he is remedying now. Clearly, he's not trying to lose muscle mass now, just excessive fat mass.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree that it's detrimental to the following year's ability during a bulking phase like this. I think when they say they cut out sugar, it doesn't really mean that he was eating spoonfuls of sugar. That could be any carbs and that would be part of a bulking phase.

Don't get me wrong, I have no inside information, I'm just providing a counter point. Mostly because I have a very hard time believing that the Jets leave anything to chance, and now that a few top end prospects have done exactly the same thing, it reinforces my theory (in my mind).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree that it's detrimental to the following year's ability during a bulking phase like this. I think when they say they cut out sugar, it doesn't really mean that he was eating spoonfuls of sugar. That could be any carbs and that would be part of a bulking phase.

Don't get me wrong, I have no inside information, I'm just providing a counter point. Mostly because I have a very hard time believing that the Jets leave anything to chance, and now that a few top end prospects have done exactly the same thing, it reinforces my theory (in my mind).
I am sure they have plans, but sometimes plans aren't followed. We have examples of four young Jets that bulked up too quickly, and then worked on becoming leaner and faster (Morrissey, Ehlers, Lemieux and Laine). The Jets head fitness guy consistently emphasizes lean muscle and quickness over "bulking up", but young players don't always follow plans diligently and try to put too gain too much weight too quickly.

Josh Morrissey says bulking up for last year’s Winnipeg Jets training camp was a mistake

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because Jets wanted that.

Last summer it was strenght and power -» more mass

This summer it is speed -» less mass

I doubt they wanted Laine to add lot of extra weight(fat) just to get rid of it a year later.

But I do believe they've wanted him to add muscle/strenght.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Why is this even a debate? Laine gained too much weight (non-muscle mass) last year, his diet was adjusted and he lost 6kg. It happens all the time as several people have mentioned here. It happens to younger guys who don’t yet know how their bodies will respond, they’ll figure it out and can act accordingly in the future. There was no grand design behind it either, of course the Jets didn’t ask him to add 6kg just to get rid of it, that’s frigging ridiculous. But it’s no big deal either, now Laine knows how to manage his weight (as any other young player will learn). It’s all good.

I’m really excited to see how quick he is after losing that mass and think it’s going to be a tremendous difference. Can’t wait to see him on the ice.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
I am sure they have plans, but sometimes plans aren't followed. We have examples of four young Jets that bulked up too quickly, and then worked on becoming leaner and faster (Morrissey, Ehlers, Lemieux and Laine). The Jets head fitness guy consistently emphasizes lean muscle and quickness over "bulking up", but young players don't always follow plans diligently and try to put too gain too much weight too quickly.

Since Morrissey wasn't on the team yet maybe there was a little more leeway.
Seems like the Jets are interested in their players fitness.
"In order to keep that young talent fresh and operating at their highest skill, the Jets have a fairly rigorous maintenance program that’s overseen by Dr. Craig Slaunwhite. As the Jets director of fitness, his focus is on helping veterans deal with the struggles of a long season and on helping the young players who are key to the Jets success get on the path toward good habits.
So either the Jets have a hand in Laine's training or he's ignoring advice.
And this photo with Slaunwhite and Rautala watching Laine train might suggest everyone is working together and there are no rogue players going off plan. Any Finnish fans able to throw in a few good quotes from the subscriber article?

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Since Morrissey wasn't on the team yet maybe there was a little more leeway.
Seems like the Jets are interested in their players fitness.
"In order to keep that young talent fresh and operating at their highest skill, the Jets have a fairly rigorous maintenance program that’s overseen by Dr. Craig Slaunwhite. As the Jets director of fitness, his focus is on helping veterans deal with the struggles of a long season and on helping the young players who are key to the Jets success get on the path toward good habits.
So either the Jets have a hand in Laine's training or he's ignoring advice.
And this photo with Slaunwhite and Rautala watching Laine train might suggest everyone is working together and there are no rogue players going off plan. Any Finnish fans able to throw in a few good quotes from the subscriber article?
That photo clarifies things for me! I thought Rautala's gym was run out of an old beat up garage. ;)

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That photo clarifies things for me! I thought Rautala's gym was run out of an old beat up garage. ;)

Yeah I pictured a bench press in a single car garage with door open and guys wearing wifebeaters smoking cigarettes and taking turns benching and doing biceps, sippin a colt 45 from a paper bag.

But seems it was wrong!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Obviously no. I was just saying it could have been muscle added with the weight and he wasn’t used to the extra weight yet. Only thing I was getting at.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here.

We should expect with his age/constant training have 1-2kg more muscle than last summer, on top of that he's said he's 6kg lighter than last summer, so we can safely say he was carrying lot of useless extra weight.
Which has now been said to have been Jets request here, which I doubt. Yes I believe they've said they'd like to see him stronger, but not that much fatter.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
But you see, in order to build muscle you need to add the mass that then is turned into that extra muscle. It wasn't a get fat plan. It was a get muscle plan. The side effect of that is obviously added mass, not just muscle mass. Now he is getting leaner, he has built the muscle needed. As the Jets guy said, he now has enough power, and now the focus is on quickness.

I don't know whats so difficult here.

It's the plan and they are on schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad