Lafreniere Hat Trick / 5 Point Night, (9 points in last 5 games) heating up?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
No. When did this happen?
Thank you. You saved me the trouble.

I guess other fan bases are salty because we get the 10A so often. :sarcasm:

Good for him
bout time he shut up some foolish fools on here
What I really love is that he was getting SO MANY grade-A chances and just had bad luck, and couldn't cash in. It never phased him but he kept plugging away. He deserves this so much. I couldn't be happier for him.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Did someone say Laff hatty and a 5 point night?

w640xh480_GettyImages-1233283526.jpg
Noted hockey terrorist

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Is MacKinnon a bust?
MacKinnon's numbers in his first years in the NHL aren't too far off as far as goals from Laffy. MacKinnon is a center so he naturally got more assists, but the numbers are close. MacKinnon didn't break out goal-wise until his fifth season. I'm not saying Laffy will be another MacKinnon but as far as people claiming him a bust were very premature.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And NOT one of his points were on the PP. Once this kid starts getting some real PP time, he's gonna be amazing.
I know. He’s going to score like 55-60 points this year with only a handful of PP points. That’s very hard to do. He’s not yet at superstar numbers at even strength, but it’s very hard to be scoring more than he is with how little power play time he gets. He might be 1PPG now on teams where he was PP1.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know. He’s going to score like 55-60 points this year with only a handful of PP points. That’s very hard to do. He’s not yet at superstar numbers at even strength, but it’s very hard to be scoring more than he is with how little power play time he gets. He might be 1PPG now on teams where he was PP1.
LAF has 6 Power Play Points. That's INSANELY LOW.

Another 1OA, who shall remain nameless but plays near by, has 31 PPP.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
What the stat watchers miss (like always) is that Laf is driving the play on that line a lot and that's saying something when you've got Panarin out there. He's a 200 ft player and just keeps gettting better and better defensively and now the offense is coming through nicely.

You can have a soft always injured non-physical prancing pony of a player that racks up individual points and HF blows their load over and over or you can have a complete player that teams win with and have the same :eek::eek::eek::eek: covered morons moaning about MoAr pOINts THoUgH..

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Just "IMO" but this was a pretty quiet '60'. Cool stuff but nothing 'ground-breaking' here.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He will probably be ppg+ in his prime.

Remember when Reinhart was a bust at his age ? They are different but I see some similarities in their games. Neither were game breakers or speed demons, but both have IQ and enough skills to dominate every level pre nhl.

That type of player takes time to adjust in the nhl. Tavares to an extent was the same

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I really love what Alexis has done this year but the Rangers 5 man 1st power play unit is pretty set in stone and as long as it continues to be as lethal as it is I wouldn't change it. He is a main guy on the second unit which gets less time and has not produced a lot but OTOH playing with Panarin (who is having an outstanding year) and Trocheck doesn't hurt. That said Alexis made the switch to right wing and a lot better than Kreider ever did. I don't even think about him on the off wing anymore. The other thing is he's almost at 200 shots this year. No forward is going to ever break out if he doesn't get the puck on net and often.

Reactions: egelband

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I really love what Alexis has done this year but the Rangers 5 man 1st power play unit is pretty set in stone and as long as it continues to be as lethal as it is I wouldn't change it. He is a main guy on the second unit which gets less time and has not produced a lot but OTOH playing with Panarin (who is having an outstanding year) and Trocheck doesn't hurt. That said Alexis made the switch to right wing and a lot better than Kreider ever did. I don't even think about him on the off wing anymore. The other thing is he's almost at 200 shots this year. No forward is going to ever break out if he doesn't get the puck on net and often.
The PP has not been nearly so lethal the second half, they were no. 1 with a bullet most of the first half and have fallen off big time.

Laf needs to replace Zib on PP1 it is time.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is correct, he gets PP2 time but the Rangers hardly send that unit out there. It's common to see the unit of Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider, Trocheck, and Fox to get 1:30 or more on a PP, and they ALWAYS get sent out. The PP2 never starts the power play or anything.

Yep. Occasionally if the team is up a few and the game is out of reach that unit will start but that’s about the only time.

I actually wish they got more ice time just in case injuries happen and they need a bit more chemistry. But the first unit is just so damn good that I can’t blame the coaches.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
It’s not just that he’s putting up points, it’s the way he does it. He plays a straight line north/south game, gets open in the slot in the forecheck, and shoots off the rush.

He was much more passive before this year, but clearly figured out what he was doing wrong to now be a consistent performer.

Being on a line with Panarin during a career year probably helped too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad