Music: Lady Gaga's Super Bowl Performance

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I fundamentally don't care for Metal and the types of sensibilities that seem to surround it, but I don't see what's wrong with commenting on why you don't like something that isn't marketed towards you. To me, "if you don't like it, _____" is always a cop-out. It is about hollow spectacle and superficial appeal, but even though many people like that and it's a money-making move that clearly works, it's still reasonable to criticize the fact that it does work.

It shouldn't annoy/put off someone that someone makes that comment. If it does, the onous is on that person not to be so sensitive to it, IMO.

"I thought it sucked."
"I thought it didn't."

The conversation should really end there, rather than delve into...

"Yeah, well it's not for you!"
"****ing obnoxious metal-heads."

... territory.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I fundamentally don't care for Metal and the types of sensibilities that seem to surround it, but I don't see what's wrong with commenting on why you don't like something that isn't marketed towards you. To me, "if you don't like it, _____" is always a cop-out. It is about hollow spectacle and superficial appeal, but even though many people like that and it's a money-making move that clearly works, it's still reasonable to criticize the fact that it does work.

It shouldn't annoy/put off someone that someone makes that comment. If it does, the onous is on that person not to be so sensitive to it, IMO.

"I thought it sucked."
"I thought it didn't."

... territory.

Dude, they can hate the show all they want. What's ****ing stupid is saying "they should bring in XYZ metal band because it fits football more". Yeah, sure, they should alienate themselves 75% of the mainstream audience when they are trying to produce a mainstream phenomenon.

Liking or not liking something is not the end-all be all of every ****ing thing. You gotta understand context. When it comes to the SB show, complaining that they should bring something you like because you don't like what they produce is NOT UNDERSTANDING CONTEXT AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! I mean, ****, next year, they should definitely book Radiohead because, hey, SdJ likes freaking Radiohead. Would also calm me down for the second half (if the Patriots are in the game).

Sorry if I sound pissed off, but it does **** me off that people don't see or don't wanna see the big picture.

Merci.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Not understanding commercial appeal and why certain acts are never going to perform on certain stages doesn't seem to be related to "closed-mindedness" in any meaningful way though.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Not understanding commercial appeal and why certain acts are never going to perform on certain stages doesn't seem to be related to "closed-mindedness" in any meaningful way though.

True.

I was just being an ass with my first sentence. I thought the "joke" was obvious when I wrote "now that I lost your attention". Maybe it was just mean and bad attempt at condescendent humor.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

"I thought it sucked."
"I thought it didn't."

... territory.

tbh I'm only making fun of the people who are suggesting stupid acts that have no appeal and saying they would be better.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Dude, they can hate the show all they want. What's ****ing stupid is saying "they should bring in XYZ metal band because it fits football more". Yeah, sure, they should alienate themselves 75% of the mainstream audience when they are trying to produce a mainstream phenomenon.

Liking or not liking something is not the end-all be all of every ****ing thing. You gotta understand context. When it comes to the SB show, complaining that they should bring something you like because you don't like what they produce is NOT UNDERSTANDING CONTEXT AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! I mean, ****, next year, they should definitely book Radiohead because, hey, SdJ likes freaking Radiohead. Would also calm me down for the second half (if the Patriots are in the game).

Sorry if I sound pissed off, but it does **** me off that people don't see or don't wanna see the big picture.

Merci.
I don't see anything wrong with not CARING about the big picture enough to factor it into your comment, though. There's nothing wrong with thinking "This event would be so much better and more suitable for Football if ______ performed. They don't have mass appeal and it would never be done because it makes no practical business sense and flies in the face of what the demographic wants, but it would be a much better experience."

I think it's reasonable to mock them if Metalheads took it further and treated that like a universal fact that others fail to see, but if that's not the case, the sentiment itself is perfectly fair to express, IMO.
tbh I'm only making fun of the people who are suggesting stupid acts that have no appeal and saying they would be better.
I'm onboard with that. Like I said, I'm as much at a loss for these metal acts as I am for Lady Gaga.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I don't see anything wrong with not CARING about the big picture enough to factor it into your comment, though. There's nothing wrong with thinking "This event would be so much better and more suitable for Football if ______ performed. They don't have mass appeal and it would never be done because it makes no practical business sense and flies in the face of what the demographic wants, but it would be a much better experience."

I think it's reasonable to mock them if Metalheads took it further and treated that like a universal fact that others fail to see, but if that's not the case, the sentiment itself is perfectly fair to express, IMO.
I'm onboard with that. Like I said, I'm as much at a loss for these metal acts as I am for Lady Gaga.

I would bet anything that a GWAR show, wherein they disembody/decapitate well-known characters and shoot blood all over the audience, would cause more publicity (good or bad, take your pick) than anything else they could come up with, though :laugh:

Obviously the most popular types of music are the only ones going to be featured. It's ridiculous to demand anything different. Cater to the masses, what do you expect?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would bet anything that a GWAR show, wherein they disembody/decapitate well-known characters and shoot blood all over the audience, would cause more publicity (good or bad, take your pick) than anything else they could come up with, though :laugh:

Obviously the most popular types of music are the only ones going to be featured. It's ridiculous to demand anything different. Cater to the masses, what do you expect?
It's ridiculous to demand anything else. It's ridiculous to expect something else. But it's sensible to criticize it. And it's sensible to claim that something else would be a better alternative, IMO. I don't think anyone has grounds to have a problem with the latter two suggestions and make a big stink about it. Grounds to laugh about how much you disagree with them and how silly you think that opinion is (because you think the stuff they like stinks), sure, but nothing more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad