Lack of money is killing this team

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We could have been in this spot last year too. When all of the injuries happened we did not make any moves and used callups, and they played out of their minds and we ended up in the playoffs.

This season we lost some of our veteran leadership in Alfie and Gonchar, and some of our depth from last year is gone as well (like Bishop). We just seem to have fewer options this year.

The part that will never stop bugging me is that when we made our run last year I figured our team was set for a run at the cup. We had depth, we were willing to make a move for Ryan that should have put us over the top, and we had cap space to burn at a time when teams were getting crushed under the cap. We should be poaching teams right now and using the 11 million in cap space to solidify our roster with great vet players who can be had for prospects and a song right now.

Instead, Melnyk is going broke and we hear about how we can only make dollar for dollar moves right now. While I do not blame Eugene for going broke (obviously no one would do this on purpose, and he is hurting by it more than I am), I feel like all of the hope I invested in this team is being flushed down the toilet. And it is a huge shame, because the team had Turris emerging as a start player, Ryan providing highlight reel goals, Karlsson leading D in scoring, and Lehner getting reading to make his move into the #1 spot. We should be getting set for a deep run, but instead we are forced to watch the team struggle every night with no help in sight.

That makes these loses feel so much worse.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
The guy couldn't shell out an extra $2mil this year to keep Alfie, a guy who's given everything for this franchise. If you don't want to spend to the cap to ice a competitive team, maybe you shouldn't own a hockey team in Canada.

Every time he opens his mouth to the media he embarrasses himself even more. Trying to villainize Alfie this summer as being greedy after he played for $1mil(!) last season was a ****ing joke.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Players perform as expected and we're not having this convo.

But this is our reality as of now and it is disappointing that our margin for error seems to have been so narrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad