Lack of money is killing this team

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Buffalo was a Ville Leino and a Christian Ehrhoff away from being good.

So because it didn't work for one team it can't work for this one?

By having a higher budget, it means you can make trades without having to force the other team to take back a crappy contract. It's hard to make improvements in our situation right now. Will it always work out? No, but it's better than the status quo.

melnyk budget*

fuhr is right.

i'm still amazed how much he's changed over the years. pretty much a brand new poster. the antagonizing borderline troll has become one of the best guys around this board.

The Fuhr*

fuhr is right.

i'm still amazed how much he's changed over the years. pretty much a brand new poster. the antagonizing borderline troll has become one of the best guys around this board.

I hated the way the team was handled after Muckler was fired... But for as bad as that was Murray did a great job rebuilding... Don't have any agenda now.

Knowing there was this hole in the summer and trading the 1st is ugly though, BM gambled and lost. Maybe job worthy if picks lottery

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
You can. Buy your tickets through capital tickets not stub hub

Screw that, I like my 20$ stubhub tickets, someone paid Capital tickets for them and I m spending money on parking, beer and occasionally pizza at the games. Also with the effort the teams been putting up I'm kinda regretting buying tickets to 7 games so far (mostly because of the Philly home game though).

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I hated the way the team was handled after Muckler was fired... But for as bad as that was Murray did a great job rebuilding... Don't have any agenda now.

Knowing there was this hole in the summer and trading the 1st is ugly though, BM gambled and lost. Maybe job worthy if picks lottery

Exactly where I stood/stand on the issue. I absolutely hated almost everything Murray did from the moment he took over as GM to the day he started the rebuild, which was masterful. Now I'm frustrated at the prospect if the Ryan trade turning into a disaster and Melnyk's internal cap. Such is life as a Sens fan.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I made this post in the GDT but the point got lost because, well, its the GDT, but I'll re-post it here. Sort of a response to those giving sympathy to Melnyk for his financial woes.

I don't think a few people here and there not committing to spending money on the sens with affect revenues all that much. The general public will likely spend the same amount no matter what, the only time you see hikes and decreases in revenue is when the team preforms or when the team stinks. Revenues will correlate with the product you're selling. Good products equal good revenues.

All I see is an owner who is breaking the first rule of business; you gotta spend money to make money.

It's not that he doesn't have money to spend, it's that he's unwilling to spend and if he doesn't have the money to spend, then he shouldn't own a sports team. Simple as that.

All in all, spend your hard earned dollars in any way you feel right, you shouldn't be obliged to fork out money just because the owner doesn't want to.

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
there's a limit to the statement saying you need to spend to make money

melnyk no doubt employs brilliant people and simple principles are not lost on them

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
there's a limit to the statement saying you need to spend to make money

melnyk no doubt employs brilliant people and simple principles are not lost on them

He needs to hire some brilliant hockey players so people want to go see them. Sure ticket revenues are up, but if they were selling out right now that would mean maximum revenues in ticket sales and not to mention the concession revenues will skyrocket as well with an extra 5-6K people a night. Then they could afford the extra spent money.

The deeper the team is, the more likelier that they make the playoffs as well. As it stands, this is not a playoff team. He's gonna regret not having that extra 2-3 solid NHL players to make that playoff push at the end of the season and we come up short. Playoffs are pure money for him. Deeper the team, deeper the team goes will just make for more money as well.

He has to be willing to have a competitive team. At this time, he is not.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Greed is killing my future, as well as others... the least of my worries is this hockey team or its economic woes.

They are my favourite team, but the reality is I could care less if Melnyk is going to be a cheap skate because he was an idiot with billions of dollars.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We don't have to think of a different team, nor do we have to go far back, to see when such a philosophy of spending turned into a disaster. The rebuild followed. Of course attracting talent and spending money is going to yield a better team and give a better chance in the playoffs, they know that, but they've put their own plan into place which'll achieve objectives that are unknown to us, but which we want for to be the cup.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
People always seem to forget UFAs have to want to come here too. Its not as simple as just offering them money. Everyone else is doing that too.

I can just imagine the uproar if we slightly overpaid to ensure we got the guy.... Like we did with Gonchar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad