Lack of hitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
This again?? I thought 2 Cups erased the notion that hits stats are essentially meaningless.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Good post. I’d prefer that Hawks play a more physical game by finishing checks and playing effectively along the boards, and in front of the blue paint, when the need arises. I’m not referring to anything bone jarring, and in the past they have stepped up to the physicality of PO hockey quite well. Although Hawks have been resilient in the past PO’s and able to play different styles of games (especially in 2010), I’m not quite so convinced as others that a team like Blues or Kings, even Ducks, if we meet them in the early rounds of the PO’s, can’t dictate the play and kill our possession game with good old fashioned physicality and intimidation. And as HF has said, the puck possession game we employ has too often come up empty on the scoreboard. We will need to bury scoring chances when we get them. One thing HF50 didn’t mention is the Hawks’ PP. It needs to be feared by ops, otherwise they’ll be running us all night with no worry about taking the odd minor penalty to play their own game. Blues will be even tougher this year with the additions of Ott up front and Miller in goal. That is the team I want to avoid most.

Just like last year when the PP was unstoppable and led the Hawks to the Cup :sarcasm:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yup, PP means jack squat really. I mean, yeah, you need to get a goal here or there on the PP to help win the odd game. But just because our PP has been off lately, doesn't mean we won't win the Cup. Lots of teams have won the Cup with a piss poor PP. Rather have the PK playing the way it is than the PP, but would definitely take both!

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
2 things - we're great at possession which means we will have less opportunity than our opponents to hit. second is that alot of our guys don't finish their checks. bollig and shaw are really good about it, and bickell hits when he feels like it, but largely you will see a lot of our forwards sooner skate away from a check rather than finish it- which i'll admit bothers me sometimes, but overall we seem to have found success without resorting to throwing a lot of hits.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Depending on roster makeup, hitting can become an entirely irrelevant aspect of the game. The Blackhawks are one such team and have been since 2008-09.

Judrix

Teuvo is Kane's son
Feb 24, 2010
Chicago
I was of the opinion that Kane's recent slump was due to his lack of hitting. I was too scared to share this opinion, but this thread gave me the courage to do so.

ReillyO

Feb 18, 2014
I was of the opinion that Kane's recent slump was due to his lack of hitting. I was too scared to share this opinion, but this thread gave me the courage to do so.

I especially like the ones where he bounces off and falls on his ass.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

50cent-bert_7390.gif

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I figured it would have to do with the puck possession game, but going so long without outhitting the opponent still boggles my mind. I'm going to make a count at the end of the season, but like I said, it must have been at least 30 - 40 games. I know they usually ramp up the intensity in the playoffs, so I wasn't sure whether Queneville is intentionally telling them to play softer in the regular season. I imagine that'd be hard to do with how much is at stake and in light of not being able to step off the gas pedal during this time, either.

edit: Unfortunately, I couldn't find any direct puck possession stats, either, but, for example, the Kings are also seen as a puck possession team, yet the hit a whole lot. So the lack of hitting maybe can't just as easily be explained by the type of game played.

How many Cups do the Hawks have to win until this stupid idea goes away?

This again?? I thought 2 Cups erased the notion that hits stats are essentially meaningless.
I hope this wasn't directed at me.

Last edited:

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
The hit counts have for that matter always been a little bit iffy, as with the other real-time stats, so drawing conclusions from them is always going to need to be taken with a bit if salt.

www.extraskater.com has all the fancy stats you need in one neat package.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I figured it would have to do with the puck possession game, but going so long without outhitting the opponent still boggles my mind. I'm going to make a count at the end of the season, but like I said, it must have been at least 30 - 40 games. I know they usually ramp up the intensity in the playoffs, so I wasn't sure whether Queneville is intentionally telling them to play softer in the regular season. I imagine that'd be hard to do with how much is at stake and in light of not being able to step off the gas pedal during this time, either.

edit: Unfortunately, I couldn't find any direct puck possession stats, either, but, for example, the Kings are also seen as a puck possession team, yet the hit a whole lot. So the lack of hitting maybe can't just as easily be explained by the type of game played.

I hope this wasn't directed at me.

My comment was directed at Hawks fans, not you

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
2 cups with everyone saying the same thing. When it comes to playoffs we know how to hang with the physical, finesse and trap teams. This overblown statistic is flawed in every home barn anyways.

These are the players we have get over it.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Seriously, though, does anyone here think you will outhit an opponent in the remaining games? I'll do a final tally once the regular season ends, but to me this is just mind boggling, no matter how important or not important the statistic is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad