Lack of hitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I don't watch a lot of your games, and I know your team is playing great and all of that stuff. But...

What's up with the lack of hitting? I mean, whenever I'm looking at stats, you are outhit and I can't remember the last time you've outhit an opponent. Maybe at the beginning of the season, but I don't think it was in the last 30 - 40 games or so. How come? Is there a particular reason or just natural given the roster you have?

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
The problem seems to be that the Blackhawks control (possess) the puck SO much of the time that there's little game time left for hitting (see Detroit/Bowman 2007-2009, the architects of the still-current winning model).

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't watch a lot of your games, and I know your team is playing great and all of that stuff. But...

What's up with the lack of hitting? I mean, whenever I'm looking at stats, you are outhit and I can't remember the last time you've outhit an opponent. Maybe at the beginning of the season, but I don't think it was in the last 30 - 40 games or so. How come? Is there a particular reason or just natural given the roster you have?

If the Hawks outhit an opponent they probably lost.

Hawks possess the puck so much that it isn't going to happen.

The lack of hitting was a big complaint and point of debate but winning the Prez and the Cup has put that "concern" to rest.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we have the puck, they try to get it.

physical play is nothing to worry about, they have proven it last year against the Kings and Bruins.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
The focus on hitting in hockey is from the stone age. The game has moved on. Puck possession wins games.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The focus on hitting in hockey is from the stone age. The game has moved on. Puck possession wins games.

Perhaps so.... but finishing a check will always be an important part of the game. Way too frequently our team fails to do so, and the ops player is often back in the play quickly... too quickly. Oduya is our worst offender in the back end.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sure...puck possession team...if we could just finish better aagainst our own division,nobody would be bringing up this issue...but alas the epitome of hitting, has the upper hand so far this year against us
...so it looks like hitting defeats puck possession..and Colorado also has the number on us so far and so it looks like despite our vaunted puck possession,Varlamov playing out of his mind
and timely efficient conversion of scoring chances by Colorado seems to defeat our vaunted possession game...as STL has shown..Colorado will wilt if you pound them..but alas our style prevents that..so here we are.. To win with our style we gotta score on our opportunities...not miss the net on clear shots and not let goalies think they are brick walls..but so far against STL and COLORADO we have failed in the task to convert too many grade A scoring chances.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

Hard to rack up hits when you have the puck all the time.

Also, Hawks rely heavily on transition game. If you hit everything in sight on the forecheck, you aren't getting back into the neutral zone to force turnovers and head up ice on offense.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Sure...puck possession team...if we could just finish better aagainst our own division,nobody would be bringing up this issue...but alas the epitome of hitting, has the upper hand so far this year against us
...so it looks like hitting defeats puck possession..and Colorado also has the number on us so far and so it looks like despite our vaunted puck possession,Varlamov playing out of his mind
and timely efficient conversion of scoring chances by Colorado seems to defeat our vaunted possession game...as STL has shown..Colorado will wilt if you pound them..but alas our style prevents that..so here we are.. To win with our style we gotta score on our opportunities...not miss the net on clear shots and not let goalies think they are brick walls..but so far against STL and COLORADO we have failed in the task to convert too many grade A scoring chances.

Good post. I’d prefer that Hawks play a more physical game by finishing checks and playing effectively along the boards, and in front of the blue paint, when the need arises. I’m not referring to anything bone jarring, and in the past they have stepped up to the physicality of PO hockey quite well. Although Hawks have been resilient in the past PO’s and able to play different styles of games (especially in 2010), I’m not quite so convinced as others that a team like Blues or Kings, even Ducks, if we meet them in the early rounds of the PO’s, can’t dictate the play and kill our possession game with good old fashioned physicality and intimidation. And as HF has said, the puck possession game we employ has too often come up empty on the scoreboard. We will need to bury scoring chances when we get them. One thing HF50 didn’t mention is the Hawks’ PP. It needs to be feared by ops, otherwise they’ll be running us all night with no worry about taking the odd minor penalty to play their own game. Blues will be even tougher this year with the additions of Ott up front and Miller in goal. That is the team I want to avoid most.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hawks usually up their physicality in the playoffs as well. I might get on guys like Bickell, Bollig etc. for taking nights off in the regular season with their physical play (especially when a guy like Shaw is routinely outhitting them and Seabrook is still good for 100+ a season) I know they will ramp it up when the games really matter.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hawks usually up their physicality in the playoffs as well. I might get on guys like Bickell, Bollig etc. for taking nights off in the regular season with their physical play (especially when a guy like Shaw is routinely outhitting them and Seabrook is still good for 100+ a season) I know they will ramp it up when the games really matter.
Basically this.

The Hawks save it for the playoffs. Even then, they're not going to outhit the other playoff teams but its better than getting an injury during the regular season. The Hawks depend on their 3rd and 4th line players unlike some other teams who use their bottom six or 4th lines only for physical play with zero offense/defense contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad