incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
2699-sunset-time-lapse-.gif

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Well that was exciting for a minute.

Little disappointed Carpenter didn't come back up, too.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Fwiw Doug Wilson was on Hockey Central and said they expect to see Meier called up at some point.

Sucks that he's sick again.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Fwiw Doug Wilson was on Hockey Central and said they expect to see Meier called up at some point.

Sucks that he's sick again.

"Expect" to see Meier at "some point" is a classic Doug Wilson roundabout way of saying nothing meaningful. Of course he'll be here 'at some point'. Whether that point is tomorrow or two years from now is unspecified. :laugh:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
"Expect" to see Meier at "some point" is a classic Doug Wilson roundabout way of saying nothing meaningful. Of course he'll be here 'at some point'. Whether that point is tomorrow or two years from now is unspecified. :laugh:

Media Training 101. How to make noise without actually saying anything.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Doug should communicate the truth through Slappy to the media, then temper everything that Slappy says with empty media clichés. Win-win.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I would not be surprised if the organization is being overly cautious with Meier given what happened with rushing Mueller. Different players, positions, etc. but that has to be on their mind.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I would not be surprised if the organization is being overly cautious with Meier given what happened with rushing Mueller. Different players, positions, etc. but that has to be on their mind.

That is my feeling also. Same with goldobin.

Top 6 forward gets injured, brings up bottom 6 forwards.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

I think that would be the wrong way to look at it. Like you said different players/positions which I think is crucial here. Mueller had never shown any indication, at any level of hockey, that he was NHL-ready at the time he was gifted a roster spot (and hasn't shown any indications since, for that matter). Meier, as much as I think he's overrated as a prospect, did put up gaudy numbers in the Q and has torn it up in the AHL so far. He's also a 20-year-old forward and since forwards tend to peak at 23-24, he's far closer to the stage where you want to make sure he's in the NHL and contributing than Mueller was as a 19-year-old defenseman.

I would hope the main lesson the organization learns from the Mueller debacle is not to draft defensive defensemen who don't score in junior in the first round (or at all, preferably).

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

There's a humongous difference. Mueller was an average WHLer. Meier is an excellent AHLer. It's much easier for a young forward to excel in the NHL than a young defenseman.

You may be right, but if you are I think it's a dumb way to go about it. Meier shouldn't be punished for Mueller's ineptitude.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
There's a humongous difference. Mueller was an average WHLer. Meier is an excellent AHLer. It's much easier for a young forward to excel in the NHL than a young defenseman.

You may be right, but if you are I think it's a dumb way to go about it. Meier shouldn't be punished for Mueller's ineptitude.

I would argue it was Todd McLellan's ineptitude. He put a 19-year old rookie Mueller immediately into top-4 minutes paired with Burns who had just been reconverted back to defense (who was also struggling to readjust to that role).

But your overall point stands (as I would also like to see what Meier can do), I just do not want history to be rewritten.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would argue it was Todd McLellan's ineptitude. He put a 19-year old rookie Mueller immediately into top-4 minutes paired with Burns who had just been reconverted back to defense (who was also struggling to readjust to that role).

But your overall point stands (as I would also like to see what Meier can do), I just do not want history to be rewritten.

That's a good point actually. **** 2015 Todd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad