Recalled/Assigned: Labanc called up Meier sick again not called up

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
One thing about Mono for those that never had it, the illness piece can keep coming back until its completely out of your system which could take months. Its possible that he had a bit of a relapse. When I had it, my blood was tested monthly and it was finally gone from my system after 8 months. I still played high school sports after the illness piece went away but I had to be very careful about overuse of my body. Obviously, medicine is much better now than in 1980 in managing this but its telling if he is out more than a day or two...

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
One thing about Mono for those that never had it, the illness piece can keep coming back until its completely out of your system which could take months. Its possible that he had a bit of a relapse. When I had it, my blood was tested monthly and it was finally gone from my system after 8 months. I still played high school sports after the illness piece went away but I had to be very careful about overuse of my body. Obviously, medicine is much better now than in 1980 in managing this but its telling if he is out more than a day or two...

He's back at Barracuda practice today, so hopefully he's avoided any sort of relapse.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I thought that was the players and not wanting to listen to the game plan mclellan was trying to implement.

He was arrogant and moronic enough to think the players deviating from his "gameplan" and beating the Kings 6-3 and 7-2 was somehow a bad thing. Just an obstinate ****ing fool.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Having Brad Stuart as our #1LD for the last couple games plus atrocious goaltending had nothing to do with that, right?

Vlasic getting cheapshotted by Stoll (which is why Brad Stuart was playing in the top pair), as well as Stalock getting pushed into the goal by Williams cost us that series. I'm still upset about that being called a good goal.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Having Brad Stuart as our #1LD for the last couple games plus atrocious goaltending had nothing to do with that, right?

Obviously Niemi and the Vlasic injury were huge factors but McLellan playing Mike Brown and a one-legged Torres in every game over Havlat and Kennedy as well as using James Sheppard of all people as the 3rd line center and not bringing Matt Irwin in until after the Vlasic injury rather than playing him over Scott Hannan throughout the series were all inexcusable blunders. And let's not forget bringing Alex Stalock in cold for Game 6. And what we were discussing earlier with regards to McLellan trying to get the team to revert to a dump-and-chase style when they were absolutely torching the Kings with speed and transition. He was a total moron and I will relish his many playoff failures to come in Edmonton.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Obviously Niemi and the Vlasic injury were huge factors but McLellan playing Mike Brown and a one-legged Torres in every game over Havlat and Kennedy as well as using James Sheppard of all people as the 3rd line center and not bringing Matt Irwin in until after the Vlasic injury rather than playing him over Scott Hannan throughout the series were all inexcusable blunders. And let's not forget bringing Alex Stalock in cold for Game 6. And what we were discussing earlier with regards to McLellan trying to get the team to revert to a dump-and-chase style when they were absolutely torching the Kings with speed and transition. He was a total moron and I will relish his many playoff failures to come in Edmonton.

Minus the facts that havlat was injured early in that series. Irwin was worse then hannan. Torres was better then kennedy and he did good until his suspension.

And the players decided to stop playing the system mclellan implemented for the 1st couple games.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Minus the facts that havlat was injured early in that series. Irwin was worse then hannan. Torres was better then kennedy and he did good until his suspension.

And the players decided to stop playing the system mclellan implemented for the 1st couple games.

Havlat was healthy at the start of that postseason, for once. Irwin was significantly better than Scott Hannan and even scored one of the two goals we managed over the final 3 combined games of that series. Irwin and Boyle were a terrific pairing at even strength in the regular season that year while Hannan was completely and utterly done as a useful NHL player.

You have that backwards - McLellan was specifically quoted after the series saying they deviated from the gameplan for the first few games i.e., the ones they won by a combined 17-8 score.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Havlat was healthy at the start of that postseason, for once. Irwin was significantly better than Scott Hannan and even scored one of the two goals we managed over the final 3 combined games of that series. Irwin and Boyle were a terrific pairing at even strength in the regular season that year while Hannan was completely and utterly done as a useful NHL player.

That pair was always really underrated. I never understood why Irwin became the whipping boy. The only real issue I noticed with that pairing was that Boyle would try to do too much at time, and end up making a bad pinch or get caught deep, and then leave Irwin (as we know wasn't a good skater) trying to defend an odd-man rush.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
"Expect" to see Meier at "some point" is a classic Doug Wilson roundabout way of saying nothing meaningful. Of course he'll be here 'at some point'. Whether that point is tomorrow or two years from now is unspecified. :laugh:

DW definitely has his doctorate in BSing. He said that Meier would have made the team if not for him getting sick. Obviously we don't know if that's true either.

I figured that with Hertl out this was a good of a time as any.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I could've swore the vibe I got was the players went away from the first 3 games. I mean why would tmac reference the games they dominated as the ones where they got away from the game plan?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I could've swore the vibe I got was the players went away from the first 3 games. I mean why would tmac reference the games they dominated as the ones where they got away from the game plan?

Why would the players start to listen to the coach after blowing out the other team so badly in 2 of 3 games while playing however they wanted?

It makes 0 sense. And why would the players take responsibility for stopping to listen to the coach if there way was what won 3 games?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

Why would the players start to listen to the coach after blowing out the other team so badly in 2 of 3 games while playing however they wanted?

It makes 0 sense. And why would the players take responsibility for stopping to listen to the coach if there way was what won 3 games?

I'm trying to find the quote but it was McLellan saying something to the effect of "we thought we could win by outskating/outskilling the Kings like we did in the first two games instead of playing our game." Which is patently absurd - we were never gonna out-King the Kings but that was the fastest Sharks team ever that could/should have trampled them playing the way we did in games 1 and 2.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

What you're saying doesn't make sense. After the third game they stopped playing in transition. Which would mean they started listening to the coach if his game plan was dump and chase.

Either that or the game plan was counter in transition and they stopped doing that.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Pretty sure Couture flat-out said what the dynamic was in one of his exit interviews.

My issue is we don't know which game plan was tmacs. Hard to attribute anything to him if we don't know. So calling him an idiot etc is just baseless.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
My issue is we don't know which game plan was tmacs. Hard to attribute anything to him if we don't know. So calling him an idiot etc is just baseless.

We know the exact dumbass lineup decisions he made that helped cost us that series though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad