Speculation: LA/Washington

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't rule out Kovalchuk.

He and Burakovsky are similar types of forwards in different phases of their career. Bura needs a change of scenery, and Kovy wants to win now.

If LA retained something like 30-40% of his contract, and the Caps added a pick or two, it could make a lot of sense.
Kovalchuk has 2 more years remaining and has scored more than 40% of his points on the powerplay. Don't like it at all.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
LA should not be moving Luff He has looked good when givin playing time.

Well the question is how good did he look.
Honestly i don't see a single player who really gives the impression of "hey give me the puck i will decide this game"
There is no urge at all in the whole team. This is why i think a complete rebuild is due.
Having a 1st line center like Hughes to build around is way easier than plucking 6 holes in the top 6 with just trading and trying.

With that said, we will have the 90's rerun ahead of us. Barely out of playoff but far away from the good picks

Reactions: kingsofLA

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Burakovsky is far from a perfect player, but he has a high skill level, shows it in flashes, and his hustle level has been up lately. There's a threshold bar to scale.

They're going to look at upgrades, but it has to actually be an upgrade to follow through, and a lot of the proposals making the rounds don't do that among forwards.

I'm more interested personally in the idea of trading him for a dependable veteran defenseman. As much as the Caps are loaded with talented young defense, the team could satisfy an immediate need at the position for a veteran. That's typically not worth a good young NHL player, though. That's worth a pick in Round 2-4 for a pending UFA.

I guess Martinez is your guy then.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Caps have been heavily scouting the Kings over the past week, which could be related to their upcoming game. However, they had a scout at the Ontario game which is a little out of the ordinary.

GMBM has stated on multiple occasions now that he is open to a “hockey trade” and Burakovsky’s name has been constantly speculated. He has also said he’d be open to moving a D prospect for a forward prospect. What is LA looking to move that possibly could be in the AHL?

With LA and ANA on East Coast trips, I'm going to suggest that it's possible the Cap's scout was just catching a game in Southern California. Ontario has very little besides Budaj that would interest Washington, and he'd cost nothing. LA is in no position to trade young players with value and there's not much value playing in Ontario.

Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
With LA and ANA on East Coast trips, I'm going to suggest that it's possible the Cap's scout was just catching a game in Southern California. Ontario has very little besides Budaj that would interest Washington, and he'd cost nothing. LA is in no position to trade young players with value and there's not much value playing in Ontario.
Grundstrom, but I think he is pretty untouchable at this point.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Settle down dude!!!

If the kings think he has 25 goal potential they could swap him 1-1. Who knows? Martinez is 31 going on 32 so to get a 24 year-old with potential would be a pretty good deal for the Kings. Of course, it will take the Kings a decade to reconstruct what would be the worst D in the league but I know that doesn't matter.
Burakovsky;
31 goals in 169 games played with the caps, means 15 goals with LA in 169 GP.

I would not trade Martinez straight up for him.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Strand has no NHL time and Falkovsky was traded earlier in the season.

Odds are it's nothing. Kings and Lightning were scouting the crap out of each other earlier in the year and nothing happened. Same with last season, Rangers were scouting the hell out of the Kings and nothing happened.
my appologies i could have sworn he got a game and i must have missed Falkovsky trade ( for who if u remember please)

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
No he doesn’t but it seems like he is the spare part that’s expendable and knowingly being shopped. It’s a gamble in my opinion. Especially on what the cost might be. Guy hasn’t earned a top spot and seems like he wants it to be given to him.

He’s not taking Ovi’s spot and Vrana beat him out for the job while he was injured. Vrana also a guy who has been healthy scratched this season.

He has extreme upside. Like coast to coast skate through an entire team carrying the puck and laser like shot though he misses the net high way too often. I’m not a fan of trading the guy unless it’s a similar guy in a similar situation. If a top six guy goes down for the Caps you’re not finding a decent replacement better than Burakovsky for less than a late first. Regardless of his value at this time that’s the going rate. Why would caps trade him for anything less?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
He’s not taking Ovi’s spot and Vrana beat him out for the job while he was injured. Vrana also a guy who has been healthy scratched this season.

He has extreme upside. Like coast to coast skate through an entire team carrying the puck and laser like shot though he misses the net high way too often. I’m not a fan of trading the guy unless it’s a similar guy in a similar situation. If a top six guy goes down for the Caps you’re not finding a decent replacement better than Burakovsky for less than a late first. Regardless of his value at this time that’s the going rate. Why would caps trade him for anything less?
Do you think he’ll ever be more than a 17 goal scorer? Will a change propel him into a 25-30 goal scorer? Cause that is what LA needs. I mean, he’s a bit like Kempe who hasn’t put it all together yet and is a couple years younger. If Kempe is the same in two years I’d want him gone too. Just saying it’s a gamble to trade for his potential. I wouldn’t move a top prospect or pick for him but I’m not Blake. All speculation that LA even has interest.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Do you think he’ll ever be more than a 17 goal scorer? Will a change propel him into a 25-30 goal scorer? Cause that is what LA needs. I mean, he’s a bit like Kempe who hasn’t put it all together yet and is a couple years younger. If Kempe is the same in two years I’d want him gone too. Just saying it’s a gamble to trade for his potential. I wouldn’t move a top prospect or pick for him but I’m not Blake. All speculation that LA even has interest.

I do think he easily hits 20 goals on a team where he gets quality top six minutes and some time on the PP. A team like Carolina and a guy like Aho would get him that. Reuniting him with McDavid I bet gets him there too.

Burakovsky we all mostly agree around these parts is a second line player stuck on the third line on a deep team. You don’t trade guys like this till you have to. Chicago wasn’t flipping guys like Ladd and buff during their cup run until it became too expensive

You wouldn’t move Kempe either is any type of similar circumstances

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Well the question is how good did he look.
Honestly i don't see a single player who really gives the impression of "hey give me the puck i will decide this game"
There is no urge at all in the whole team. This is why i think a complete rebuild is due.
Having a 1st line center like Hughes to build around is way easier than plucking 6 holes in the top 6 with just trading and trying.

With that said, we will have the 90's rerun ahead of us. Barely out of playoff but far away from the good picks

Ok but how does this tie into anything about moving Luff.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yea if Chris Patrick is there, then there is likely a trade about to occur. He seems to scout games and the next day or so a trade happens. Shattenkirk, kempny etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad