Speculation: LA/Washington

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
If I were to guess I'd say it's Burakovsky for Rempal/Scherbak/Amadio/Hagelin/Martinez/Lewis/Thompson.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Same age as Burakovsky, same position, currently out scoring Burakovsky, more physical than him as well.

I dunno; you do Leipsic with a small + and you have a pretty good hockey trade.
Burakovsky doesn’t get any time in the top 6 due to the players above him. His ice time is low as a result and thus his numbers. He has a higher upside still but needs to be on a team where he can get bigger minutes.

Leipsic has moved around quite a bit for a reason. I guarantee you MacLellan says hard pass on that.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Burakovsky doesn’t get any time in the top 6 due to the players above him. His ice time is low as a result and thus his numbers. He has a higher upside still but needs to be on a team where he can get bigger minutes.

Leipsic has moved around quite a bit for a reason. I guarantee you MacLellan says hard pass on that.
The Capitals are the 7th highest scoring team in the League and Burakovsky only has 15 points.

You trade him to a team like LA and he'd have 10. I think you're overrating the kid quite a bit.

If ice-time is his only issue then find a away to give him some more minutes.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
The Capitals are the 7th highest scoring team in the League and Burakovsky only has 15 points.

You trade him to a team like LA and he'd have 10. I think you're overrating the kid quite a bit.

If ice-time is his only issue then find a away to give him some more minutes.
We shall see. I just happen to believe he pulls more than a pending UFA like Thompson, or guys who have bounced around the league like Leipsic. Time will tell.

I’d prefer they just keep him than move him for junk.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Do the Kings have any young D in the pipeline? That is the Caps immediate strength prospect wise, especially our pipeline at LD.

Yes the kings have a lot of young unproven defense man . Right now on our roster we have Paul LaDue (right handed) and Sean Walker. Players in the ahl that have played some nhl Daniel Brickley Austin Strand and Kurtis MacDermid . We also have Alex Lintuniemi Stepan Falkovsky Jacob Moverare and Chaz Reddekopp all looking for a shot King will be looking at moving some As we have Kayle Clague and Phillips looking to move up to the ahl soon

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Do the Kings have any young D in the pipeline? That is the Caps immediate strength prospect wise, especially our pipeline at LD.

We are loaded/redundant at "big lumbering limited puck skills LHD," so as long as it's not that, it couldn't hurt. We're particularly hurting for RHD.

But I see a lot of proposals in here hunting younger Kings, like Luff, and I just can't see LA doing something like that while they still have Hagelins and Thompsons to move out.

I think Burakovsky is interesting but I'm not thinking Kings want to pay what it would take to move him out

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
You are dreaming. Good luck with that.
I doubt they do it but Leipsic has played really well. He’s a shifty water bug. He is one of the more creative forwards on the team. Many fans want him re-signed. I can see him being thrown into a deal.

I’m not sold that Burakovsky will be anything more than he is. Admittedly I don’t watch a lot of caps games.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
We are loaded/redundant at "big lumbering limited puck skills LHD," so as long as it's not that, it couldn't hurt. We're particularly hurting for RHD.

But I see a lot of proposals in here hunting younger Kings, like Luff, and I just can't see LA doing something like that while they still have Hagelins and Thompsons to move out.

I think Burakovsky is interesting but I'm not thinking Kings want to pay what it would take to move him out
Agreed.

I think if that is the return on Burakovsky than they are better off holding onto him.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

I don’t see a good fit between the teams.
I can see them adding Hags or Thompson but they’ll cost little more than a pick.

Burakovsky could be a change of scenery player but he seems like a bit of a head case. I would hope Blake and co would be buying at a minimum if he is what LA is looking at.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
If you watch Burakovsky he is a very frustrating player. You see his skills and speed and think that he could easily be Kuznetsov at times. Vrana has passed him on the depth chart and Wilson is just a better fit in the top six whether people want to claim he belongs there or not.

If the offer doesn’t improve the team you keep AB. Playoffs always bring injuries and having a guy of his talents around ready to step into a role he’s already produced in and contributed to winning a cup won’t hurt at all.

No offense to LA or any of the offers here. Caps just aren’t in a position where he must be dealt and the upside is still absolutely there.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Caps have basically no cap space. They couldn't even take Hagelin at 50% for a pick. If it was Toffoli for Burakovsky, the Kings would have to retain like 35% this year and next year, so the Caps would have to throw something else in, and then the deal starts to collapse because it gets too complicated.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Caps and Kings play tonight and again in a week. While there may be some proposed trade scouting going on as well, I'm not getting worked up about it yet.
While I’d like to agree with this sentiment, the fact that they have scouted each other often recently, combined with the appearance of Sutherby at a Reign game, makes me think there is actual smoke.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Retention. They're getting Kovy, think about how sick it would be.
Wait is that how that works? Salary retained doesn't count against the cap?
I hope LA ask for a good return on Kovy if they retain. No need to move him unless he is requesting a trade (likely if he really is chasing a cup) but nothing has been openly reported.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
If you watch Burakovsky he is a very frustrating player. You see his skills and speed and think that he could easily be Kuznetsov at times. Vrana has passed him on the depth chart and Wilson is just a better fit in the top six whether people want to claim he belongs there or not.

If the offer doesn’t improve the team you keep AB. Playoffs always bring injuries and having a guy of his talents around ready to step into a role he’s already produced in and contributed to winning a cup won’t hurt at all.

No offense to LA or any of the offers here. Caps just aren’t in a position where he must be dealt and the upside is still absolutely there.
No he doesn’t but it seems like he is the spare part that’s expendable and knowingly being shopped. It’s a gamble in my opinion. Especially on what the cost might be. Guy hasn’t earned a top spot and seems like he wants it to be given to him.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I wouldn't rule out Kovalchuk.

He and Burakovsky are similar types of forwards in different phases of their career. Bura needs a change of scenery, and Kovy wants to win now.

If LA retained something like 30-40% of his contract, and the Caps added a pick or two, it could make a lot of sense.

Reactions: CapsJunkie

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Yes the kings have a lot of young unproven defense man . Right now on our roster we have Paul LaDue (right handed) and Sean Walker. Players in the ahl that have played some nhl Daniel Brickley Austin Strand and Kurtis MacDermid . We also have Alex Lintuniemi Stepan Falkovsky Jacob Moverare and Chaz Reddekopp all looking for a shot King will be looking at moving some As we have Kayle Clague and Phillips looking to move up to the ahl soon
Strand has no NHL time and Falkovsky was traded earlier in the season.

Odds are it's nothing. Kings and Lightning were scouting the crap out of each other earlier in the year and nothing happened. Same with last season, Rangers were scouting the hell out of the Kings and nothing happened.

Reactions: LAKings88

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Retention. They're getting Kovy, think about how sick it would be.
Wait is that how that works? Salary retained doesn't count against the cap?

Kovalchuk could work if they retain enough salary to essentially swap salaries with burakovsky. That's an interesting idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad