Rumor: LA to host 2017 All-Star Game and not Leafs

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wouldn't consider 75 significant either.

Look at people's ages. Lots and lots of people make it to 50. A lot of those make it to 75. Only a few make it to 100.

well that's my point. like if they "need" to celebrate, celebrate 75 if they so desire.
100 is a big one. quite frankly out of principle - Montreal had "everything" (that was available at the time). Like I pointed out - the WJC has nothing to do with the NHL (so you can't use that as a reason), and the World Cup of Hockey - where else would you play it and guarantee a lot of money? so that was a given.

we should given all the things and let the Leafs decide to share them out. Or not.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I just want the classic really.

And well get road to the winter classic series as well.

Babcock edition :)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Were there other teams celebrating a milestone when the Habs got "everything"?

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I know I shouldn't be annoyed by this, but I kind of am. A centennial season is a landmark thing, and you'd think the All-Star Game would be something you'd have involved.

I guess not though.

Hopefully we'll get the Winter Classic instead.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Leaf fans feeling a bit jilted? ASG is awful anyway. Even if TML are 100 years, so what? Considering that the last 50 years has been pretty bad from this fan's perspective. Who really gains if ASG was held TO? If it was only about money then all the "events" would take place in TO, no?

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Isn't the link in the OP the same guy who wrote that article a few months ago about LA getting the ASG? Honestly, I'll believe when one of the big guys reports it.

I don't really care about the ASG that much, but it's the principle. It's our 100th year, we should get everything. Who cares if LA has been around for 50?

100 years in Toronto vs 50 years in the hockey hot bed that is LA......

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Only if you consider 50 years significant. I don't.

What about 50th wedding anniversaries? They're pretty important.

Yes I would consider them important. Theyre also important in the sense of it being a significant step in the history of the league just as the start of the NHL and the Maple Leafs/Arenas histroy is. The end of the grip on the O6 owners being staunchly against expansion etc. A step in the right direction for the league and growing the game.

It may not be the Leafs nor the popular response, but the Pens, Flyers and Kings 50th anniversaries are pretty significant to the league and important. So is the Leafs. Would I like to see the Leafs have everything? Sure. But I can also understand that there are other significant things around the league. The league itself for one.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
NHL office and Bettman especially hate Canada and particularly the Toronto.

If they hated Canada, there's a good chance the Oilers, Flames, Senators and Canucks wouldn't be in Canada. The Canadian Assistance Program helped these franchises and Bettman broke the rules of ownership to keep the Oilers from leaving for Houston the year after Quebec and Winnipeg left.

Sorry, I hate this rhetoric. It's ridiculous.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Has anyone checked to see what's going on at the ACC in Jan / Feb of next year?

Maybe it's just not available?

Or

Maybe the league doesn't want to put the All STar game in the same market as the World Juniors or the World Cup of Hockey?

Only if you consider 50 years significant. I don't.

Was wondering when you were going to tell us. Thanks.

Respectfully, doesn't matter what the hell you consider significant. THose teams do.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Has anyone checked to see what's going on at the ACC in Jan / Feb of next year?

Maybe it's just not available?

Or

Maybe the league doesn't want to put the All STar game in the same market as the World Juniors or the World Cup of Hockey?

I would say this is a great point. Oversaturation. Toronto is also hosting the Grey Cup next year as well. I know most wont care, but that's another big event that's being held in Toronto. Add on a potential outdoor game (Winter Classic or not), that's a lot for a market, even Toronto, to take in.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gotta share the wealth. Pittsburgh, St Louis and Philadelphia are celebrating 50 years too. Toronto had the ASG and Draft in 2002 because it was 75 years as the "Maple Leafs"

No, LA actually hosted the ASG in 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad