Rumor: LA to host 2017 All-Star Game and not Leafs

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not a big deal IMO

We get the draft and Winter Classic, right?

honestly who knows.

Truth be told if the choice was between
Leafs v anyone NOT Montreal, or Ottawa (heck, Buffalo).

versus

Pittsburgh v. Philadelphia - I'm voting for the second and that's what the Leafs are up against.

and honestly even though the ASG sucks bananas now, I think it's just the principle of the thing. Montreal had EVERYTHING when they turned 100. We turn 100 and it's well, maybe you'll get something.

the World Cup of Hockey being here makes sense, because this market will buy up all the tickets and it will be well supported

the WJC prelims make sense - because of the exact same thing (i will bet you dollars to doughnuts it will be more well funded/attended than the Montreal prelims last year)

One was a given, and the other has NOTHING to do w/the NHL.

and I read somewhere that potentially the Leafs don't want the draft soo. yuh. who knows.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Makes sense given the difficulty they've had attracting players.

I'd rather go to Cali than TO in the middle of winter as well.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Couldn't care less about the ASG tbh. I'm more concerned with the Leafs getting the Winter Classic.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't give a damn about the All-Star game, but it's a matter of principle.

And considering the discussion that we may not even get the Winter Classic...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't give a damn about the All-Star game, but it's a matter of principle.

And considering the discussion that we may not even get the Winter Classic...

right?

like ti would be one thing if the Leafs went "we have _____, we'll give up the ASG." fine it wouldn't matter. but not giving it to us AND we don't get the classic?

pft.

Oedi

Dec 18, 2005
Richmond Hill, ON
So you don't care because the ASG doesn't matter, but in the next sentence how dare they?

I don't follow if you're mad or not...

Hmm, I don't personally care about the ASG so I am not concerned. However the treatment the leafs get from the league is terrible compared to the treatment of historic teams in other leagues. So I am irritated by the NHL head office.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
right?

like ti would be one thing if the Leafs went "we have _____, we'll give up the ASG." fine it wouldn't matter. but not giving it to us AND we don't get the classic?

pft.

And let's be honest, the only outdoor game that matters is the Winter Classic. People typically watch that no matter who is playing. It's become a New Years Day tradition for me personally.

Stadium Series? **** right off. No one gives a **** about those.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
honestly who knows.

Truth be told if the choice was between
Leafs v anyone NOT Montreal, or Ottawa (heck, Buffalo).

versus

Pittsburgh v. Philadelphia - I'm voting for the second and that's what the Leafs are up against.

and honestly even though the ASG sucks bananas now, I think it's just the principle of the thing. Montreal had EVERYTHING when they turned 100. We turn 100 and it's well, maybe you'll get something.

the World Cup of Hockey being here makes sense, because this market will buy up all the tickets and it will be well supported

the WJC prelims make sense - because of the exact same thing (i will bet you dollars to doughnuts it will be more well funded/attended than the Montreal prelims last year)

One was a given, and the other has NOTHING to do w/the NHL.

and I read somewhere that potentially the Leafs don't want the draft soo. yuh. who knows.

Problem is you have Pittsburgh, Philly and LA all celebrating 50 years. Should they not get something too? Probably should.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs got the All-Star game and had three players on the team a few years ago. That's good enough for me.

The draft is better anyways

what? No they didn't...the Leafs haven't hosted an all-star game in almost 20 years. Guys.....the year 2000 isn't " a few years ago" I was barely a teenager in 2000, I'm now almost 30.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I know everyone is upset we didn't get the all-star game, but you also have to remember that along with the leafs centennial year, it is also the league's centennial year. also its the kings 50th anniversary in nhl as well next year. and its also the 25th anniversary of couple other teams. so its understandable that the league wants to share its centennial year with many teams as possible. plus there are also a ton of outdoor games next year, even one in Nov/Dec. I believe its going to Winnipeg.

its unfortunate that our centennial had to be shared with others but it is what it is. yes the habs got all the events for their centennial, but they were the only ones that year with something to celebrate. so its understandable.

plus if we get the WC and Draft, thats still pretty good too. and the All-star game is a ****ing snooze fest anyways, unless you're interested in going and meeting various players there (i.e. taking pictures and autographs).

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
World cup in 2016, winter classic in 2017, and draft in 17 or 18?

Taking into account how awful the ASG is shaping up to be this season, I think we can afford to let up the worst event go another city guys, don't you?

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Gotta share the wealth. Pittsburgh, St Louis and Philadelphia are celebrating 50 years too. Toronto had the ASG and Draft in 2002 because it was 75 years as the "Maple Leafs"

Next year maybe be our 100 years as a franchise but only marks 90 years as the Maple Leafs. The league has zero excuse not to give us all the event in 2027 (except maybe a lockout or something).

And you have just given away Bettman's real reason for the comming lockout in 2027...:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad