La Presse: Daigneault said PK will be on the PK

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
look at that... all it took was the owner to force the long term deal getting done for the coaches to wake up and use the guy properly.

"For this sort of task, it takes players who anticipate, who defends well and reads the play. PK has all that."

love it!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
That's funny because it will automatically improve his +/- stat from whatever goal we score shorthanded and thus people will believe he improved his defensive game.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
That's funny because it will automatically improve his +/- stat from whatever goal we score shorthanded and thus people will believe he improved his defensive game.

Pleks' penalty-kill breakaways will increase substantially.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He will have plenty of energy mostly because Bouillon will take his spot on the PP....:sarcasm:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Good.

The more minutes Subban logs, the more involved he is in the game and the bigger impact he has on the outcome. Playing PP, PK and sufficient time 5-on-5 will be good, not only for him but for the entire team.

Playing more minutes is not necessarily a good thing. The style of game he plays is high energy, burning him out the 1st half and having him gassed by playoff time makes no sense at all when you have guys like Weaver Markov Gilbert Emelin who can all do the job on PK. Use his energy and skills where he can generate more offense and transition(5 on 5 and PP).

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Stop bringing up Bouillon in every thread! :laugh:

You're right....I should have talked about Desharnais instead....:D

Pretty sure I didn't bring Bouillon's name in that many threads....

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Other interesting part of the article is to learn that Daigneault was in charge of the PK unit while Gallant was in charge of our underwhelming PP.

At the end of the day, losing Gallant might not be a big deal at all.

As for PK playing on the PK, he already did it and he was very good. I never quite understood why the coaching staff stopped playing him there.

I'm more worried about the left side of the penalty kill. Markov can't take all the minutes PK will play so he should play less on the penalty kill. It's the main reason why I hope Tinordi will make the team.

Last edited:

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Watch the coaching staff try to take credit later on for making PK a good defender and good on the PK while he was awesome there before any of them came on board...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Watch the coaching staff try to take credit later on for making PK a good defender and good on the PK while he was awesome there before any of them came on board...

PK played a lot more of a high risk game before Therrien and co arrived. Credit it to the coaches or development or whatever you want, but he's made huge strides in 2 years...not just on defense but all over the place.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
PK played a lot more of a high risk game before Therrien and co arrived. Credit it to the coaches or development or whatever you want, but he's made huge strides in 2 years...not just on defense but all over the place.

Sure he improved as an overall player, not saying otherwise. Just that they're talking as if they're doing something innovative by putting him on the PK, as if they're taking a chance with it but they believe in him, when the guy was a really good player there 3 years ago already and they just decided to take him away from it...

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Sure he improved as an overall player, not saying otherwise. Just that they're talking as if they're doing something innovative by putting him on the PK, as if they're taking a chance with it but they believe in him, when the guy was a really good player there 3 years ago already and they just decided to take him away from it...

No, they're not. It's in your head.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
He's our best PK defenceman so that's good, we'll need that with Gorges gone. He was probably our best PK defenceman even with Gorges here actually, back when he played alot there, he was like top 5 in the NHL in terms of shots/goals allowed.

I have said that in a couple of threads already but I would really really like to see the top PK unit built around Pacioretty, Eller and Subban.

Subban in terms of PK time (in PK time on ice per game):

2009-2010 playoffs: 1:52
2010-2011 season: 2:32
2010-2011 playoffs: 2:38 (team leader)
2011-2012 season: 2:36
2012-2013 season: 1:27
2012-2013 playoffs: 0:29
2013-2014 season: 0:40
2013-2014 playoffs: 0:46

Subban getting so little PK time is a Therrien thing. Defensive minded Martin used him there more than Therrien ever did as a rookie in the playoffs, so let's not call the coaching staff genuises when he does well there.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Bergevin answered a question during an interview. The only place it sounds "innovative" is on this board. I'm sure part of it is replacing Gorges' minutes.

I still don't see PK playing big minutes on PK as a good thing, not when he is the #1 offensive cog on the back end and the way he plays the game.

He's our best PK defenceman so that's good, we'll need that with Gorges gone. He was probably our best PK defenceman even with Gorges here actually, back when he played alot there, he was like top 5 in the NHL in terms of shots/goals allowed.

I have said that in a couple of threads already but I would really really like to see the top PK unit built around Pacioretty, Eller and Subban.

Subban in terms of PK time (in PK time on ice per game):

2009-2010 playoffs: 1:52
2010-2011 season: 2:32
2010-2011 playoffs: 2:38 (team leader)
2011-2012 season: 2:36
2012-2013 season: 1:27
2012-2013 playoffs: 0:29
2013-2014 season: 0:40
2013-2014 playoffs: 0:46

Subban getting so little PK time is a Therrien thing. Defensive minded Martin used him there more than Therrien ever did as a rookie in the playoffs, so let's not call the coaching staff genuises when he does well there.

He's pretty good on the PK, I don't think he's ever been our best PK defenseman. The team was 1 goal from being #2 overall last year with him only playing there minimally so I don't think they need to change much. Malhotra will help relieve some minutes from Plekanec if anything...Gilbert and Subban can take some of Gorges' minutes.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Playing more minutes is not necessarily a good thing. The style of game he plays is high energy, burning him out the 1st half and having him gassed by playoff time makes no sense at all when you have guys like Weaver Markov Gilbert Emelin who can all do the job on PK. Use his energy and skills where he can generate more offense and transition(5 on 5 and PP).

I agree. I think that having a 2nd wave PP pairing, and reducing his minutes at 5 on 5 now that we have a legit bottom pairing might help.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
its about time! he was always good when used.. i never understood MT's choice to not use him there. glad MT seems to finally be getting over the "break in the stallion" mind set..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Having Gilbert, and possibly Beaulieu, means we can have a pretty decent 2nd PP point unit. We won't have to make PK average 5min on the PP.

I don't really understand this ''PK playing more is bad'' theory. He's 25 and in amazing shape. Not sure why Doughty and Keith can do it but not PK.

Saintpatrick*

He was one of the go to PK players when the Habs had a top end PK unit in 11/12.

Yep and for some reason (Therrien) he never seen much PK time last year. PK is good enough to play in just about any situation.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Having Gilbert, and possibly Beaulieu, means we can have a pretty decent 2nd PP point unit. We won't have to make PK average 5min on the PP.

I don't really understand this ''PK playing more is bad'' theory. He's 25 and in amazing shape. Not sure why Doughty and Keith can do it but not PK.

To play devil's advocate... Dougthy and Keith have more economical styles. Less physical, more natural. Subban often seems to outwork and overpower his opposition. It is possible that we would be best served pacing him a bit for the playoffs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To play devil's advocate... Dougthy and Keith have more economical styles. Less physical, more natural. Subban often seems to outwork and overpower his opposition. It is possible that we would be best served pacing him a bit for the playoffs.
PK barely played on the PK last year and he's in amazing shape, so if you thought he looked tired, it's probably due to something else.
Maybe it's because PK's average shift was 6 seconds longer than those guys. Maybe it's because we played such a poorly structured system. PK was used pretty much as much three years ago but his shifts were down from 55sec to 49sec, he was regularly used on the PK, and he was actually trying to do even more on the ice individually. He didn't seem tired to me.

So I don't think it's about PK having a style that is more demanding.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
I remember the days when Pleky was playing point on the power play. Those were some tough times.

Odd thing was we had a not so bad pp before Martin decided to put him there and leave him there for so long like a stubborn brat with a square peg and a round hole. He killed whatever chance we had to fix the pp that year. He sealed his fate with that decision.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
With the league's new diving rules, the coaching staff has already adjusted our strategy and compensate for the lesser PP time with more PK time.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad