La Liga 2022-23

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So the player should not collect a salary because management does not play him? That's silly.
No but he should leave when the opportunity presents itself when he’s not wanted. Not really sure why this topic always comes up. If X player wants to leave why can’t he go? If a club wants X player to leave why can’t they sell him? Why do we pick and choose? Either a player is in his right and by extension a club does to or not…

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
No but he should leave when the opportunity presents itself when he’s not wanted. Not really sure why this topic always comes up. If X player wants to leave why can’t he go? If a club wants X player to leave why can’t they sell him? Why do we pick and choose? Either a player is in his right and by extension a club does to or not…
It is a business.

A club has the right to keep a player under contract if they want to just like the player has a right to stay when he is under contract. It is all about negotiations, imo.

That being said, as a player, you should want to be somewhere you will play, I agree. However, if leaving means a significantly cut in wage, why would you want to leave? Probably because you believe that by playing you would make more in the future and make up for your immediate losses. I guess, if it were me, my decision would be based on how long I have left on my contract and in my faith in my ability to regain a spot. The club's financial situation would not be on my mind.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Players aren’t slaves if people are allowed to quit their jobs so can players. If a player wants out they should be able to do so.

Braithwaite has offers for more wages elsewhere. He also has other offers clubs in la liga if he wants minutes. Like I said he will get no sympathy. He’s more than in his right to collect said pay cheque but don’t expect people to be happy about it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Players aren’t slaves if people are allowed to quit their jobs so can players. If a player wants out they should be able to do so.

Braithwaite has offers for more wages elsewhere. He also has other offers clubs in la liga if he wants minutes. Like I said he will get no sympathy. He’s more than in his right to collect said pay cheque but don’t expect people to be happy about it.
This is fair to an extend, but Barca didn’t have to extend him, and Braithwaite has the right to pick his next destination. He shouldn’t take a move to somewhere he doesn’t want to go just because they are offering more wages.

He shouldn’t expect the fans to be happy about it, but it’s not Braitwaite’s fault either. It’s a weird situation. But Barca is a dream club for players. Makes it harder to shift deadweight. Same thing happened at LFC. Makes you pay for bad signings. Teams either can’t afford their wages and the teams that can aren’t in the most desirable places.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is fair to an extend, but Barca didn’t have to extend him, and Braithwaite has the right to pick his next destination. He shouldn’t take a move to somewhere he doesn’t want to go just because they are offering more wages.

He shouldn’t expect the fans to be happy about it, but it’s not Braitwaite’s fault either. It’s a weird situation. But Barca is a dream club for players. Makes it harder to shift deadweight. Same thing happened at LFC. Makes you pay for bad signings. Teams either can’t afford their wages and the teams that can aren’t in the most desirable places.
I would definitely agree. He’s more than in his right to sit out and collect money. If someone paid me stupid amount of cash and I didn’t have to show up. Ya I’m doing that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would definitely agree. He’s more than in his right to sit out and collect money. If someone paid me stupid amount of cash and I didn’t have to show up. Ya I’m doing that.
But of course who is the one telling him not to show up? (Honestly don’t know) Seems like Barca just trying to squeeze him out by not taking him on tour and whatnot.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Oh, morally, 100%. Most clubs will also sell you if you want to leave because it would not be good business to keep a malcontent on the team. Cut your losses and move on. That being said, it would be good business to make sure you get your price before selling... if you can get it.

Same from the player perspective, why move if you do not have a "good" move to make?

At the end of the day, it is about leverage, like in any negociation.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It's trolling because it hurts the Barca fans here to be compared to the disgusting Barca fans in the video?
I don't expect you guys to act this terribly.

But yeah disgusting behavior, one that I already pointed out for Umtiti and others.

I didn't boo him nor would I have. I think a stadium suddenly going silent as no one is cheering/clapping speaks volumes more.

Like @Duchene2MacKinnon and I was thinking reading your trolling post yesterday, Messi getting booed in Paris.

Never seen a league or country so rattled Lmaoo. You have idiots like this random and Neville peddling made up facts. Pretty crazy.

Yeah, that's a really dumb tweet that unless he has something we don't know is completely false.

It is a business.

A club has the right to keep a player under contract if they want to just like the player has a right to stay when he is under contract. It is all about negotiations, imo.

That being said, as a player, you should want to be somewhere you will play, I agree. However, if leaving means a significantly cut in wage, why would you want to leave? Probably because you believe that by playing you would make more in the future and make up for your immediate losses. I guess, if it were me, my decision would be based on how long I have left on my contract and in my faith in my ability to regain a spot. The club's financial situation would not be on my mind.

The club's financial situation would be on my mind if it was a club I cared about. My dream is to play for Real Madrid and make the most possible while literally just sitting in the stands on match days. That way I get paid to work out.

As for Braithwaite and I would say just about any of these guys, they don't need the money. Braithwaite certainly doesn't as he's got investments that make him one of the wealthiest players out there from what I've read. And I would think that this being a professional sport you'd want to actually play as much as possible while you still can. That said I don't fault him from staying past that, but he should have not expectations of minutes then as he's apparently been told he's surplus to requirements.

But of course who is the one telling him not to show up? (Honestly don’t know) Seems like Barca just trying to squeeze him out by not taking him on tour and whatnot.

He was amongst a group of players who weren't part of the US tour and were essentially told they should find a new club. There are a lot of players who are first team eligible and some are surplus like Braithwaite. The club is obligated to pay him, not play him.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I didn't boo him nor would I have. I think a stadium suddenly going silent as no one is cheering/clapping speaks volumes more.

Like @Duchene2MacKinnon and I was thinking reading your trolling post yesterday, Messi getting booed in Paris.

Yeah, that's a really dumb tweet that unless he has something we don't know is completely false.

The club's financial situation would be on my mind if it was a club I cared about. My dream is to play for Real Madrid and make the most possible while literally just sitting in the stands on match days. That way I get paid to work out.

As for Braithwaite and I would say just about any of these guys, they don't need the money. Braithwaite certainly doesn't as he's got investments that make him one of the wealthiest players out there from what I've read. And I would think that this being a professional sport you'd want to actually play as much as possible while you still can. That said I don't fault him from staying past that, but he should have not expectations of minutes then as he's apparently been told he's surplus to requirements.

He was amongst a group of players who weren't part of the US tour and were essentially told they should find a new club. There are a lot of players who are first team eligible and some are surplus like Braithwaite. The club is obligated to pay him, not play him.
Ah for sure.

I would expect a Busquet or a Pique to take a paycut. Guys have been with Barca forever. I would not expect people who do not have that strong of an attachment to care.

When we asked players to take paycuts during COVID, I expected a guy like Ramos to do so (and he did), but not a guy like Bale.

I guess my point is that if I am being treated like a comodity, my thought process would be very selfish.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No Im not implying hes not showing up because he doesn't want to. He's not needed and thus wouldnt work(play)...

Reactions: Savant

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ah for sure.

I would expect a Busquet or a Pique to take a paycut. Guys have been with Barca forever. I would not expect people who do not have that strong of an attachment to care.

When we asked players to take paycuts during COVID, I expected a guy like Ramos to do so (and he did), but not a guy like Bale.

I guess my point is that if I am being treated like a comodity, my thought process would be very selfish.

I don't expect someone to do it in all circumstances, but I would think a professional athlete with pretty no chance of playing time would prioritize finding a new team to a higher paycheck. Sure Braithwaite might like it there, and I think one of his kids is in La Masia if memory serves me correctly, but "in the real world" people up and move for work all the time and kids are affected.

And to be fair, on the flip side, look at what came out about Riqui with the leaked audio. He apparently said something like "well I could go to Chelsea and make double what I'm making here, but why would I leave Barcelona?" I would say you would leave Barcelona because you might get the opportunity to play elsewhere, while also making more money, and you can always move back. And Riqui is one of my favorite players and I did agree with him staying on for a time, but IMO the time came this Summer and he made the move.

For me it just goes back to Braithwaite being a professional player who is very well compensated and who has a very short window of time to realize his "dream" assuming that's why he plays. If he plays for the paycheck, more power to him, but were I him I don't think I'd be doing the same. Anyway, the whole thing about his being booed is a mountain made out of a molehill.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You said at the time you understood Messing being booed and you didn't bring it up that time someone else did. Man indeed.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Weird to see Brathwaite's ambition and priorities being questioned when a player f***ing off to the Saudi league for a big pay increase is usually put down to just wanting to collect a paycheck or wanting to take it easy. He's on the roster of one of the most prestigious clubs in the world. Maybe he rates training with that caliber a player and fighting for a spot on the bench (or in Cups, or whatever) as more ambitious/beneficial to his career than playing in a third rate league.

Or maybe he just likes living in Spain, and who would blame him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Weird to see Brathwaite's ambition and priorities being questioned when a player f***ing off to the Saudi league for a big pay increase is usually put down to just wanting to collect a paycheck or wanting to take it easy. He's on the roster of one of the most prestigious clubs in the world. Maybe he rates training with that caliber a player and fighting for a spot on the bench (or in Cups, or whatever) as more ambitious/beneficial to his career than playing in a third rate league.

Or maybe he just likes living in Spain, and who would blame him.

Weird to see Braithwaite being considered ambitious because of the following:

—He doesn’t move to Saudi Arabia when no one here suggested it.
—He plays for a prestigious club where he must rate training with a certain caliber of player.
—He rates fighting for a spot where he’s at best third choice behind Lewandowski and Aubameyang after coming off a league season where he himself only played 230 some minutes when Lewandowski wasn’t even in the team.
—Not playing at all is more beneficial to his career than actually playing anywhere much less a top league when again no one mentioned a “third rate league”.
—He likes living in Spain.

Yeah, real ambitious that line of thinking.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The lengths people have gone is hilarious. Braithwaite has the right to sit on his ass sure but how can anyone blame fans for showing their displeasure in that? He has offers to stay in the league and offers to leave for more wages. Pick one lol if not don’t expect to be treated like a king. Hell back when Douglas was on the team I was jumping up and down advocating for his removal and Barca’s finances weren’t an issue. Same with bale in madrid not my team but what he did was shameful.

Reactions: luiginb

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
At least Braithwaite is acting like a professional. If it happened in Football Manager, the player would refuse to leave but also throw a fit because of a lack of playing time even after being told that they were surplus to requirement. Then, other players on the team would complain too because the manager is "mistreating" a veteran player creating issues in the squad.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haha pretty much.
Yes Braithwaite's behaviour and the way he joined add to the problem.
Some don't want to see it but everyone else can see how that is not tolerable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad