La liga 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

According to Tebas, Laporta chose the Superleague project over the CVC that La Liga proposed, which meant losing Messi.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

According to Tebas, Laporta chose the Superleague project over the CVC that La Liga proposed, which meant losing Messi.

That's oversimplifying the decision.

Laporta chose controlling the revenues versus not controlling them... which meant losing Messi. Accepting a shit deal just not to lose one guy (even if that guy is the greatest player to ever suit up for your club) would be a pretty bad decision. Tebas tried to strong arm Barca and failed. Messi was collateral damage.

The CVC deal was crap for the clubs. The Superleague is crap for football, for fans and for most clubs, but has the potentiel of being pretty freaking great financially for founding clubs. Heck, the entire reason why they want a Superleague is so they can control the revenue stream and cut the middle man (UEFA) out.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
That's oversimplifying the decision.

Laporta chose controlling the revenues versus not controlling them... which meant losing Messi. Accepting a shit deal just not to lose one guy (even if that guy is the greatest player to ever suit up for your club) would be a pretty bad decision. Tebas tried to strong arm Barca and failed. Messi was collateral damage.

The CVC deal was crap for the clubs. The Superleague is crap for football, for fans and for most clubs, but has the potentiel of being pretty freaking great financially for founding clubs. Heck, the entire reason why they want a Superleague is so they can control the revenue stream and cut the middle man (UEFA) out.

They're going to lose a huge amount of fans and therefore revenue if they go forward with the Superleague. No real fans will want to watch a glorified friendlies league.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
They're going to lose a huge amount of fans and therefore revenue if they go forward with the Superleague. No real fans will want to watch a glorified friendlies league.

People will end up watching. It would kill the CL , people will hate it in the beginning until they get used to it.

Pretty much what D2M said.

And, let's be honest, the Super League is more about the international money than it is about domestic money. Biggest backlash will happen domestically. The founding clubs are the biggest brands in club football with the largest international followings. Losing Messi might hurt Barca's brand internationally though. It is still a top 2 brand, though.

In the USA, mainstream sports writers mainly thought it was a good idea. India, USA, China, Middle East, etc. TV contracts. That's the name of the game. It is for the CL and it would be for the Super League. Biggest difference being that the clubs and not UEFA would control the revenue streams (TV contracts, sponsors, etc). That's essentially what they want. Cut the UEFA out and GUARANTEE revenue (no pro-rel for THEM - which is why clubs like Arsenal and Tottenham were interested. Heck, all the English clubs run the risk of missing the CL in any given year. Chelsea has, Liverpool, United has, Tottenham and Arsenal do regularly. City might be the only exception, but f*** 'em :laugh:).

Reason why the English clubs quickly backed out is that they are already getting a lot of international TV money and had the most to lose by going to war with their federation. More than La Liga clubs and certainly a LOT more than Italian clubs. Barca, Real and Juve did not back out because they have the more to gain with the Super League. They are huge brands who play in leagues that do not get as much attention as the EPL. Heck, I'd say that those three are bigger brands than any of the English clubs. The gap is closing though.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I do not know how accurate this is, but:

Brand value ranking football clubs worldwide 2020 | Statista

According to this, Juventus is not even in the top 10 in terms of brand value.

ESPN has the same data: Real Madrid rated football's most valuable brand

I must say I am VERY surprised at how high City is. PSG, I am not surprised as that club has prior history and is in a HUGE metropolis. But Manchester City? I really wonder how they measure brand value. I guess City sells a lot of kits because they have stars.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Tebas is going to say it’s Superleague because he knows fans hate it. Laporta is going to blame la liga. It’s a mixture of both

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Eh, if the superleague goes ahead and Barcelona is leaving La Liga I'm switching my allegiance to UE Sants. They can have all the converted cricket/baseball fans they want.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Well it won't be a glorified friendlies league if everyone signs up. That said I think it's generally a very bad idea especially as I understand it.

Always curious that some people don't read threads before posting the same news that's already been posted.

Reactions: Jussi

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Eh, if the superleague goes ahead and Barcelona is leaving La Liga I'm switching my allegiance to UE Sants. They can have all the converted cricket/baseball fans they want.

Super League clubs want to end the CL, not their domestic leagues.

They do not plan on leaving their leagues (at least not at first).

They are not stupid enough to think they can go to a North American style closed league at first. Or maybe they are.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Looks like Pedri future captain refuses a break and will report to barca this week. If eke wasn’t Pedriesta I would give him the 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad