La liga 2021-2022 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Bordeaux. Ugh.

They were playing 11 players versus 9 players, and couldn't put in a single goal. It's depressing.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I still have yet to see the match, but that's pretty impressive. Kind of funny coming after Suarez's dumb comment after the Galatasaray match.

Uh, of course, Xavi took over in 2021 :D

Uh, yeah, I'm aware as I actually supported the move. I just didn't know when all of Dembele's assists occurred off the top of my head, so thanks for confirming my instinct was indeed correct.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I still have yet to see the match, but that's pretty impressive. Kind of funny coming after Suarez's dumb comment after the Galatasaray match.

Uh, yeah, I'm aware as I actually supported the move. I just didn't know when all of Dembele's assists occurred off the top of my head, so thanks for confirming my instinct was indeed correct.

No faith in him despite this odd good game. Just not up to this team's quality.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Well the stat was about assists that occurred in 2022 only. So if Xavi took over in 2021, naturally every assist occurring in 2022 would occur post-Xavi.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well the stat was about assists that occurred in 2022 only. So if Xavi took over in 2021, naturally every assist occurring in 2022 would occur post-Xavi.

And I was referring to "all" of his assists this season which have occurred since Xavi took over.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
No faith in him despite this odd good game. Just not up to this team's quality.

I don't have much faith in him either, but he's here at least for the short term. To be fair, his clangers get highlighted and the good he does rarely gets a mention. Long term I'd see him replaced, but if not then 4th choice CB would be all I'd rely on him for.

Wonder if Xavi will test him in more of a midfield role.

I've wondered the same myself at times.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure what the hate with Dembele on this board, he was bloody fantastic in the El Clasico, Torres was the exact opposite (waste of money). Actually, it's quite bad that Barca didn't finish with a higher score, they came to play and Madrid looked awful; Barca should've scored six at minimum. RM got ripped to shreds when Barca was running the ball at their feet, which further proves that Ancelotti is a fraud. Auba was very good, but in classic Auba fashion he had multiple chances to get his hattrick and missed like three prime glorious goes at net. Araújo was very good as well.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The hate on Dembele is because he's mostly chaotic good, but sometimes chaotic bad, I still blame him for the Liverpool disaster, and he's also injured too much. Plus now he's playing his best football, finally, on, surprise surprise, a contract year. But he's a great player, when on.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not sure what the hate with Dembele on this board, he was bloody fantastic in the El Clasico, Torres was the exact opposite (waste of money). Actually, it's quite bad that Barca didn't finish with a higher score, they came to play and Madrid looked awful; Barca should've scored six at minimum. RM got ripped to shreds when Barca was running the ball at their feet, which further proves that Ancelotti is a fraud. Auba was very good, but in classic Auba fashion he had multiple chances to get his hattrick and missed like three prime glorious goes at net. Araújo was very good as well.

I don't know who hates Dembele. I don't (I did draft him last year after all). That said he's been a frustrating signing all things considered, but I don't hold him entirely accountable for everything during his time at the club.

Torres is actually doing better pretty much by the week. He's producing on the scoresheet and off it (his off the ball movement has been really good). I'd say he's on pace to live up to the price tag despite my initial doubts. 7 goals and 4 assists in 13 matches (La Liga, EL, Copa) is quite impressive for a new signing who joined in the Winter window.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Dembele has been fantastic as of late, but he can be a frustrating player who gives the ball away easily. He was tremendous in the first half in the clasico, not so much in the 2nd half..

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well I was finally able to catch up with the match. A few random thoughts:

— Madrid clearly missed Benzema. I don’t think that makes a difference with regards to the result, but he was clearly missed and you never know what a player like that does in a Clasico. What I found really are though was Ancelotti’s approach. They didn’t really have a false 9 and so they should’ve played a 9. I still think Madrid will take the league, but I’m curious what that match does to them going forward. It’s been pretty smooth sailing for them this season, but I would think this match was a wake up call.
— Thrilled with another team performance. What’s really been incredible this season and especially since Xavi took over are all the contributors up and down the squad and during the matches. And I’ve commented on this before, but the team spirit you see is great. I don’t think it can be stressed enough the impact Xavi has had overall. The way the team creates space, utilizes that space, hunts in packs…. He really has the team playing very much like they did under Guardiola.
— For me Aubameyang was the Man of the Match. I thought he really did well on that first goal, more so than it might seem, with how he placed that header and went after the ball. And then the way he set up Torres on top of how he scored his second goal, just top drawer. To think we were able to get him for nothing on top of him taking such a massive wage cut.
— I loved the passion from all the players, but Araujo really stuck out for me with how pumped up he was.
— I also loved Gerry’s interactions with Vinicius Jr. Hilarious stuff and now the kid can say he’s had a Harvard education.
— I think Torres has really integrated well into the team. He just needs to find his finishing boots.
— I was told in the transfers thread the other day, and before this match, that there are at least 15 if not 20 clubs better than Barcelona right now. Then there was a struggle to even put a list together. I wonder how many it is now. Prior to this we’d beaten Atleti 4-2, Valencia 4-1 away, Napoli 4-2 away and Athletic Bilbao 4-0. Now you add this 4-0 away at the Bernabeu.
— Despite this result and despite how good this team looks, there could definitely be some disruptions come this summer and we may not be able to suffer an injury to Aubameyang. I think the biggest thing to look out for the summer is what happens with our wing players, but it sounds like the club is focused on this.
— I’m sure most of the supporters here saw it, but in the dressing room when they were celebrating they had a Fati jersey they held up. Fati was there with them, but I did find that a bit interesting.
—400th appearance for Dani boy and I’m absolutely thrilled for him. He’ll be 39 years old before the season is finished and I hope he’s still a Barcelona player when he’s 40 years old.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Dembele has been fantastic as of late, but he can be a frustrating player who gives the ball away easily. He was tremendous in the first half in the clasico, not so much in the 2nd half..

I actually didn’t think he was that great in the Clásico, but he has been good of late and for me he’s in my first XI (the top three that Xavi fielded in the match are clearly our top three right now). I thought his first assist was good, but his second was from a corner and I was actually more impressed by his involvement in the third goal. To your point though he can drift out of games and he had too many giveaways in the Clásico. That said I think he’s a player that it’s tough to watch leave because you know how good he is and his potential. I actually think it might be best for all parties involved, assuming he isn’t asking for a king’s ransom and wages, that he stays.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well I was finally able to catch up with the match. A few random thoughts:

— Madrid clearly missed Benzema. I don’t think that makes a difference with regards to the result, but he was clearly missed and you never know what a player like that does in a Clasico. What I found really are though was Ancelotti’s approach. They didn’t really have a false 9 and so they should’ve played a 9. I still think Madrid will take the league, but I’m curious what that match does to them going forward. It’s been pretty smooth sailing for them this season, but I would think this match was a wake up call.
— Thrilled with another team performance. What’s really been incredible this season and especially since Xavi took over are all the contributors up and down the squad and during the matches. And I’ve commented on this before, but the team spirit you see is great. I don’t think it can be stressed enough the impact Xavi has had overall. The way the team creates space, utilizes that space, hunts in packs…. He really has the team playing very much like they did under Guardiola.
— For me Aubameyang was the Man of the Match. I thought he really did well on that first goal, more so than it might seem, with how he placed that header and went after the ball. And then the way he set up Torres on top of how he scored his second goal, just top drawer. To think we were able to get him for nothing on top of him taking such a massive wage cut.
— I loved the passion from all the players, but Araujo really stuck out for me with how pumped up he was.
— I also loved Gerry’s interactions with Vinicius Jr. Hilarious stuff and now the kid can say he’s had a Harvard education.
— I think Torres has really integrated well into the team. He just needs to find his finishing boots.
— I was told in the transfers thread the other day, and before this match, that there are at least 15 if not 20 clubs better than Barcelona right now. Then there was a struggle to even put a list together. I wonder how many it is now. Prior to this we’d beaten Atleti 4-2, Valencia 4-1 away, Napoli 4-2 away and Athletic Bilbao 4-0. Now you add this 4-0 away at the Bernabeu.
— Despite this result and despite how good this team looks, there could definitely be some disruptions come this summer and we may not be able to suffer an injury to Aubameyang. I think the biggest thing to look out for the summer is what happens with our wing players, but it sounds like the club is focused on this.
— I’m sure most of the supporters here saw it, but in the dressing room when they were celebrating they had a Fati jersey they held up. Fati was there with them, but I did find that a bit interesting.
—400th appearance for Dani boy and I’m absolutely thrilled for him. He’ll be 39 years old before the season is finished and I hope he’s still a Barcelona player when he’s 40 years old.

You don't? Modric playing false 9 f***ed the entire midfield up. Then, sitting Benzema (and Mendy) when they could have played if it was a game with standing implication sends the message that the game does not matter too much. Benzema is in and we can win that game. Not saying you definitely would have, but it would have changed the entire strategy AND the entire mental disposition of the team.

That being said, Barca played great. I agree with you that Auba is man of the match and I would go even further by saying that he is a bigger reason for your recent form than Xavi (do not get me wrong, Xavi deserves his credit). I would also argue that him opening things up front is a huge reason why Dembélé is looking much better. It really changes the entire make-up of the team, IMO.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You don't? Modric playing false 9 f***ed the entire midfield up. Then, sitting Benzema (and Mendy) when they could have played if it was a game with standing implication sends the message that the game does not matter too much. Benzema is in and we can win that game. Not saying you definitely would have, but it would have changed the entire strategy AND the entire mental disposition of the team.

That being said, Barca played great. I agree with you that Auba is man of the match and I would go even further by saying that he is a bigger reason for your recent form than Xavi (do not get me wrong, Xavi deserves his credit). I would also argue that him opening things up front is a huge reason why Dembélé is looking much better. It really changes the entire make-up of the team, IMO.

No, I do not. The scoreline perhaps, but I think we'd likely have won the match still the way we played.

I think Xavi's influence is greater than Aubameyang's. I don't see Aubameyang performing the same under Koeman. Xavi has the team creating more space and making more runs. One of the biggest changes we're seeing these past few months are the chances created. Aubameyang is for me better at that than the alternatives we have, but we've had multiple players in that position for years and it's not looked like this for some time. That said having a proper 9 makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad