La Liga 2020-2021 Part II

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi getting hit and kicked all over the place, then getting a yellow himself after not even touching Fernando :thumbu:
And sevilla getting their panties in a bunch for him not getting a second yellow on a nothing play. Amazing response. Ref now handing cards like candy. Bold move

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hard luck there. Lenglet offside but a shove to FDJ unnoticed.

Koeman looks like the dad in Beethoven or midnight which I just realized is the same person.

lol no puig.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Moriba so I'm fine with it

if it were Pjanic I'd be throwing stuff at the TV though
Ah at this point Puig can’t do anything more to get in under koeman. Best to accept it. He should a starter so don’t really care who Koeman puts ahead he’s wrong and he should be fired never hired.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know what happened because I am studying with the match on mute, but I think Gaya just got a yellow card for a dive which clearly showed the exact opposite on the replay. Also the ref rescinded another red card, Mike Dean-esque performance so far. Valencia is rubbish though, getting played off the pitch by Getafe (regardless of a red card though).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
One of my favorite matches this season and one of my least favorite at the same time. The latter as Pedri was injured and will be out, but thankfully for only 2-3 weeks. Also didn't like seeing Pique go off or Araujo. Not sure their status. One of my favorite matches because we looked very solid defensively and it was a real team performance. I thought we dominated the first half and Sevilla while better in the second half didn't improve a whole lot despite the wholesale changes. Not sure about us going forward initially, but it got better.
  • Another thing I loved was Dembele's runs off the ball. Looked like a seasoned striker out there. What an aspect to add to his game. Very good finish too. If a manager can get the right balance of Dembele on the ball and Dembele off the ball...
  • Messi probably man of the match for me. Assist on Dembele's goal, though IMO that was down to Dembele more, but also showed a lot of determination on his goal.
  • De Jong was excellent. It's kind of hard envisioning him at DM because I fear we'll be losing out on what he's added to his game.
  • I liked Dest's determination. Good performance.
  • I really loved Mingueza in the first half. A real physical aspect to his game that I like. Exactly the sort of player that shows that a La Masia graduate doesn't always need to be Iniesta, Xavi or Messi.
Big win that keeps in the title race and should really give the team confidence going into the second Copa leg.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know the discussion was in the CL thread and this is not a direct quote, but:

Dest, obsesionado con corregir sus errores defensivos en el Barça

If you want to go back to this discussion, we can do that.

The quote there doesn’t really match the content of the article. It’s a click bait type of headline. The article discusses that Dest’s personality is one that he’s always striving to get better. It talks about some of the things he does to do that. What that tweet says is translated correctly in a direct sense, but doesn’t do a good job of capturing what the article it came from is about. Check out Barca Universal’s summary of the article in their tweet about it. It gives a better description of the article.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If you want to go back to this discussion, we can do that.

The quote there doesn’t really match the content of the article. It’s a click bait type of headline. The article discusses that Dest’s personality is one that he’s always striving to get better. It talks about some of the things he does to do that. What that tweet says is translated correctly in a direct sense, but doesn’t do a good job of capturing what the article it came from is about. Check out Barca Universal’s summary of the article in their tweet about it. It gives a better description of the article.

Per the article translated:
  • Title of the piece: "Dest, obsessed with correcting his defensive mistakes at Barça"
  • "He is happy after his performance in Seville, but he knows that he must improve in defense of four"
  • "Aware of the team in which he is and the aspects in which he must improve."
  • "Sergiño Dest is not happy with the season he is doing and he knows he can do much better ."
  • "His future is hopeful, but he himself is aware that he must improve in many facets of the game: in defense and in attack."
  • "Despite not being happy with the season he is doing, Dest continues to try to improve day by day. "
  • "He is a student of defensive videos to improve the defense of four: coverage, the game with his back to goal, the construction of the game from behind or set pieces. "
  • "In the same way, knowing that in a defensive line of four there is still room for improvement."
  • "Mentally, Dest is only angry with himself because he is aware that he is not yet demonstrating his level ."
Those are all cut and pasted from the article translated. The tweet supports what the article says, very obviously and very clearly. Article supports what I said all along as well. End of story unless of course the article itself is wrong, but I find it odd that an article such as that would be bothered to be written then. Article also supports what I said about the player himself saying he needs to improve.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He clearly needs to improve but I don’t think anyone expected a finished product. If they did they’re doing the kid a disservice. Nothing suggests that he can’t grow into the player he’s hyped to be tho. Of the issue I have with barca back line he’s near the bottom.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He clearly needs to improve but I don’t think anyone expected a finished product. If they did they’re doing the kid a disservice. Nothing suggests that he can’t grow into the player he’s hyped to be tho. Of the issue I have with barca back line he’s near the bottom.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with him and never have. I actually like that he's looking to improve. It's like the comparison I drew with De Jong who has said the same about himself since day one.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, I don't have a problem with him and never have. I actually like that he's looking to improve. It's like the comparison I drew with De Jong who has said the same about himself since day one.
I've always liked de Jong but I think the way he was being talked about in his last season at Ajax and moving to Barca was a bit over the top, and I think my feelings on Dest have been aired out quite enough but I don't think he'll ever be an elite fullback. Maybe I'm wrong but Barcelona needs to aim higher than Dest. de Jong I think can be one of the better midfielders out there, but I still think he's a bit overrated. That said, with the right work ethic and support a lot of these guys can punch above their weight so we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad