Speculation: LA Kings with heavy interest in Landeskog

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
The Mayor is saying its Martinez not Muzzin that the talk is about.

Can't afford to lose Martinez either. Best offensive d-man. Best skating d-man. One of two puck movers (three if you count Gilbert I guess). Unless it's a mega deal to get Barrie too then it makes no sense. Probably doesn't that way either since it'll basically be a lateral move. Toffoli + Martinez + picks for Duchene + Barrie.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
The Kings are in sort of a weird position.

They're in win now mode, but at the same time they're trying to rebuild the depleted farm. They also don't have any areas of surplus talent; they're equally thin through out the organization.

So they're not really in a position to make significant trades.

On paper it looks like the team needs scoring, but watching the games you get a sense that the team needs to improve its defensive pairs first.

honestly I think the defense is as good as its been in a long, long time. Gravel and Forbort have more or less proven themselves at the NHL level and theres a couple prospects that are somewhat promising. I wouldnt say theres a surplus of talent there but the Kings are getting there. still dont like the idea of losing Marty or Muzz for a winger

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Yeah.... anyone else remembers what the defense looked like last time Martinez was injured? :laugh:

It better not be Martinez.

Yeah, it looked like Schenn, Scuderi, and McBain!

Now it's Forbort, Gravel, and Greene.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Makes perfect sense. Landeskog is a LA-type of player.

Would fit perfect with Kopitar.

Landeskog - Kopitar - Someone

Landeskog have been a 60 pointer with Colorado but i think he got potential to get 80 points.

I'll be honest I don't know much about him or his style of play. Isn't his style a bit like old Dustin Brown?

yes. but better.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Makes perfect sense. Landeskog is a LA-type of player.

Would fit perfect with Kopitar.

Landeskog - Kopitar - Someone

Landeskog have been a 60 pointer with Colorado but i think he got potential to get 80 points.

He is a good player buts it's more likely his 60 points goes closer to to 40 points if he comes to LA.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I'm not the biggest Martinez fan

I would do Muzzin if it were not for the expansion as it would then mean we would be losing one of Forbort/Mcnabb/Pearson depending on what you want to protect.

Currently I think we are going to lose one of McNabb/Forbort anyway, so giving up a Martinez or Muzzin would hurt double with losing an additional D-man.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
The Mayor is saying its Martinez not Muzzin that the talk is about.

OH... so it's definitely Muzzin. Can't remember the last time he was right about anything.

Even if it is Martinez he's like our top offensive defenseman, I don't think we can give that up, plus he's Mr. OT!

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Mayor is saying Martinez plus someone else not named Kempe.

Kings have to do something about Brown and Gaboriks contrats. I totally forgot Lombardi gave Gaborik 7 years after 2014 lol! That was ridiculous.

The contracts of our top 3 D are least of our worries. The forward contracts are the problem. Kopitar now makes 10 million. How many of us predicted that wouldn't end well either.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings have to do something about Brown and Gaboriks contrats.

There's nothing to do. The best option is probably just to ride them out, whatever that means for the team in those years. Even to trade either guy at 50%, the Kings would still have to add, and it's not like there's only a year left on their deals.

I'd be completely shocked if they're both not here until at least the end of the 19-20 season.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
There's nothing to do. The best option is probably just to ride them out, whatever that means for the team in those years. Even to trade either guy at 50%, the Kings would still have to add, and it's not like there's only a year left on their deals.

I'd be completely shocked if they're both not here until at least the end of the 19-20 season.

Only thing LA can do with Brown is either buy him out at somepoint or take back another brutal salary in a deal that they would lose. Girardi in New York comes to mind as he needs protection. Although he would need to waive his NMC, and this would not help LA in the expansion....you know what I should have stopped at buy out. That is the only thing to do with Brown. Will be too bad when it happens to, I wanted him to pas Taylor for all time GP by a king.

As for Gaborik I hope he retires early and goes to Europe.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Only thing LA can do with Brown is either buy him out at somepoint or take back another brutal salary in a deal that they would lose. Girardi in New York comes to mind as he needs protection. Although he would need to waive his NMC, and this would not help LA in the expansion....you know what I should have stopped at buy out. That is the only thing to do with Brown. Will be too bad when it happens to, I wanted him to pas Taylor for all time GP by a king.

Brown will certainly be here through the end of the 2018 season. Assuming he plays the rest of the season this year, he'll be 36 games away from 1,000 games played.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

A Brown buyout looks bad on paper. The cap hit only goes up before it goes down, and then it doesn't come off the books until 2027 if they did it this year. For what, a couple million in cap space? At this point, I'd rather they just run out Brown's contract, and if it helps them get a higher pick every year until then, then in theory at least that should help down the road.

Gaborik's salary is still $5m next year, $4.5m after that, and doesn't drop below $3m in the last years of the deal. That's a lot of money to walk away from, even if he has a lot of money from previous contracts. He could play 35 games a year and get all that money. Outside of a career ending injury, they can't just put him on LTIR forever either.

They could buy out one or both, and it would help in the next couple years, but then they would pay for it for a while. If they had something in mind for next season, or two years from now, maybe it would be worth it, if the team was good enough to win the Cup again. If they're not good enough, then in 4 or 5 years, the buyouts kill the team, and then there's another half decade of completely dead, or just mostly dead, cap space. Have fun stormin' that castle.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That Gaborik signing was another Dean loyalty blunder that will cost this franchise for years.

Tough to think of a GM that wouldn't have done that deal though. With Gaborik coming off a great playoff, he held all the cards. Lombardi could've done a shorter deal, but then the cap hit is bigger. If he buys out Richards at the same time, that could've helped in that regard. But if Gaborik is getting $34m one way or another, that would be $8.5m on say a 4 year deal. That would've meant no Lucic for sure, but then the Kings still have their pick, and Gaborik's deal is done after next season, making him more tradable, or at the very least gone quicker.

Tough to fault Lombardi on that one for me. He tried to keep the cap hit down to in theory have a better overall team. By that time, he couldn't do what Chicago was able to do with Hossa. After this season, Hossa will only be paid $4m if he plays out the 4 years left on his contract. Gaborik makes $3m in the last year alone of his deal.

It was a tough call. Richards, yes, that was a Lombardi loyalty special, no question. Only Lombardi makes that non-move. Again, not sure there's another GM that would've had the ability to say no to Gaborik at the time.

The way the Kings ended up winning in 2014 will go down as a great memory, but yeah, it's cost the Kings the cap space for Richards, the cap space for Gaborik, the cap space for Greene, probably at least a little extra cap space for Kopitar, and it was the driving force behind Lombardi getting Sekera(the just give the Kings a chance theory), and then in part with getting Lucic. I'll take the insanity of the 2014 Cup run for that though, if it had to be one or the other.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
That Gaborik signing was another Dean loyalty blunder that will cost this franchise for years.

Gaborik signing doesn't fall under that category, not for me anyways.

Gaborik was amazing after the trade and they don't win in '14 without him. DL pretty much brought the same team back and felt that Gaborik would be good enough for probably at least three seasons while this team was still firmly in its window (Voynov still here along with all 1st round picks). Had to do seven years to make the cap work.

Let's not forget that these *******s wasted a 27 goal season from Gaborik in 2015. I think he would of potted 20--or close to it--if not for the knee injury last season. He's been bad so far this year yet looked awesome at the WC prior to the broken foot. I'm still holding out hope he will round into form sooner rather than later.

Anyways, DL was Gaborik's GM for all of four months or so prior to the extension so I don't think it was a "loyalty" move like Richards obviously was.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Brown will certainly be here through the end of the 2018 season. Assuming he plays the rest of the season this year, he'll be 36 games away from 1,000 games played.

I was thinking if they were to buy him out it would be this year to fit Pearson and TT.
So close would be a shame.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Gaborik signing doesn't fall under that category, not for me anyways.

Gaborik was amazing after the trade and they don't win in '14 without him. DL pretty much brought the same team back and felt that Gaborik would be good enough for probably at least three seasons while this team was still firmly in its window (Voynov still here along with all 1st round picks). Had to do seven years to make the cap work.

Let's not forget that these *******s wasted a 27 goal season from Gaborik in 2015. I think he would of potted 20--or close to it--if not for the knee injury last season. He's been bad so far this year yet looked awesome at the WC prior to the broken foot. I'm still holding out hope he will round into form sooner rather than later.

Anyways, DL was Gaborik's GM for all of four months or so prior to the extension so I don't think it was a "loyalty" move like Richards obviously was.

Kings needed a scorer after 2014. The list of free agents were terrible. Vanek, Iginla, Michalek, Cammalleri, Grabovski, Jussi Jokinen, Moulson, Raymond, Ribiero. Gaborik was signed for way too long but I guess that's what kept the cap hit lower. I'd rather they just signed him for $5 million for 5 years or something.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
A Brown buyout looks bad on paper. The cap hit only goes up before it goes down, and then it doesn't come off the books until 2027 if they did it this year. For what, a couple million in cap space? At this point, I'd rather they just run out Brown's contract, and if it helps them get a higher pick every year until then, then in theory at least that should help down the road.

Gaborik's salary is still $5m next year, $4.5m after that, and doesn't drop below $3m in the last years of the deal. That's a lot of money to walk away from, even if he has a lot of money from previous contracts. He could play 35 games a year and get all that money. Outside of a career ending injury, they can't just put him on LTIR forever either.

They could buy out one or both, and it would help in the next couple years, but then they would pay for it for a while. If they had something in mind for next season, or two years from now, maybe it would be worth it, if the team was good enough to win the Cup again. If they're not good enough, then in 4 or 5 years, the buyouts kill the team, and then there's another half decade of completely dead, or just mostly dead, cap space. Have fun stormin' that castle.

A buyout is the only way out is what I was saying, with Brown I too would rather just run him till his contract is out. I am going to start to think of his cap hit as whatever his cap hit is above his buy out cost. That way it sounds better in my mind.

As for Gaborik, if there is interest in Europe maybe he can make more after tax playing oversees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad