Speculation: LA Kings with heavy interest in Landeskog

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Moving Muzzin, puts LA one injury away on Defense to having Gilbert/Green playing top 4 minutes.

Cause McNabb will probably be gone in the expansion draft.

Also remember that Forbort/Gravel will be Sophomores in the NHL, the vast majority of players struggle in their second full NHL season.

Would like to see LaDue spend another full season, down in the AHL.

Last edited:

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
No to Landeskog for Muzzin, he's a winger for ****s sake and we've already been thru something similar for Lucic. The defense is far more important. I would consider Duchene for Muzzin, but only if Gravel or Forbort breaks out this year, which neither have (though Forbort has been solid).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is LaDue a lock to make it next season though? People on LAKI who follow the Reign closely say he looks no where near ready for the NHL yet.

Any time I've seen him he's been an adventure. Certainly has offensive talent and wheels, but putting together the defensive end. If Voynov had better hands and worse defensive awareness.

Wouldn't be surprised for him to get called up midseason next year but I wouldn't plan on him being a roster lock till the following season. He was pushing at the door this year though so he could surprise. Just like Kempe, the potential is there, but the difference between them and NHLers is night in night out baseline consistency. Right now he'd basically be Jamie McBain.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Any time I've seen him he's been an adventure. Certainly has offensive talent and wheels, but putting together the defensive end. If Voynov had better hands and worse defensive awareness.

Wouldn't be surprised for him to get called up midseason next year but I wouldn't plan on him being a roster lock till the following season. He was pushing at the door this year though so he could surprise. Just like Kempe, the potential is there, but the difference between them and NHLers is night in night out baseline consistency. Right now he'd basically be Jamie McBain.

That's what I'd heard, thanks.

So there's absolutely no way Dean can trade Muzzin for Landeskog or Duchene. Just makes no sense at all. The defensive personnel would be very, very average next season. And that's considering Forbort and Gravel play at the same levels they are now. Who knows, maybe they get exposed next season. It was only last season most were considering Muzzin one of the top 30 d-men in the league. Now people can't wait to get rid of him.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
No to Landeskog for Muzzin, he's a winger for ****s sake and we've already been thru something similar for Lucic. The defense is far more important. I would consider Duchene for Muzzin, but only if Gravel or Forbort breaks out this year, which neither have (though Forbort has been solid).

I'm not really seeing the comparison to Lucic. Lucic was 27, and a pending free agent. The problem many had with the Lucic deal was giving-up those assets when we all knew the ballpark of the contract he was wanting, and knew it would be an issue bringing him back. Hell, the Bruins traded him because of his contract demands. Landeskong is 24, and signed for 4 more years after this one. Duchene only has two years left on his contract and would likely cost more to acquire. I think the extra two years of contract control is likely very appealing to Lombardi.

With that said, I don't think there is any way a deal is going to be done

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
He's basically a young Andrew Ladd during his best years. Not a Lucic or Simmonds power forward but a light or middleweight version. He was #2 pick overall so there still might be upside.

He plays LW, so Kings would have to move a forward since LW is crowded with Pearson, Gaborik, King, Clifford and Andreoff.

Also, what does this deal do for the future of Kempe? Move him to center?

Kings would be set at the wings for years but not so much as center as Kopitar and Carter are now 29 and 32.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
The rule when I was young was : by the time you heard a rumor of a trade, it is over or never was real.
The internet has changed that a little, but since no second source/story has come out, this looks to me to be a false story to force a raise in offer by a third team.
I personally don't want to plug a hole by creating two more

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I'd rather go after Tatar from Detroit. He would be cheaper to go after and has already had good chemistry with both Kopitar and Gaborik on team Europe and Slovakia.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Landeskog is a good player signed to a good contract. Every team in the league is interested.

Yes he is and I think the Avs know that pretty much any GM would call and ask the question. As most of you know , I am a hockey junkie, and post some of what I hear/read if I feel it's from a viable area, on the Around the League thread. one of the places I hit is NESN because they usually have good info/articles and joe Haggerty, who contributes there, is a good reporter, old school. The Bruins are the one team has been linked to talking to the Avs and turning them down when they wanted Carlo. Smart by them, a 20 yr old 6'5 d who has a lot of promise is someone I am not trading either. But as NESN pointed out, the Bruins are loaded with defense in their farm system, about 8 or 9 in college or juniors. That they might be trying to put a package together with one of them, a Ryan Spooner perhaps and 2nd round pick.
And it's that kind of deal Landy will get, so as ,much as I love Muzzin, I can't see the Kings in on that.

And they don't have anything to offer for Duchene, who as Elliotte Friedman pointed out, is an elite center with speed and skill who has good paper. And the asking price is very steep. Will they get that/ Yes, I think they will and the Avs can't wait to June if they don't get what they want for either player.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Yes he is and I think the Avs know that pretty much any GM would call and ask the question. As most of you know , I am a hockey junkie, and post some of what I hear/read if I feel it's from a viable area, on the Around the League thread. one of the places I hit is NESN because they usually have good info/articles and joe Haggerty, who contributes there, is a good reporter, old school. The Bruins are the one team has been linked to talking to the Avs and turning them down when they wanted Carlo. Smart by them, a 20 yr old 6'5 d who has a lot of promise is someone I am not trading either. But as NESN pointed out, the Bruins are loaded with defense in their farm system, about 8 or 9 in college or juniors. That they might be trying to put a package together with one of them, a Ryan Spooner perhaps and 2nd round pick.
And it's that kind of deal Landy will get, so as ,much as I love Muzzin, I can't see the Kings in on that.

And they don't have anything to offer for Duchene, who as Elliotte Friedman pointed out, is an elite center with speed and skill who has good paper. And the asking price is very steep. Will they get that/ Yes, I think they will and the Avs can't wait to June if they don't get what they want for either player.

Another factor is the Avs only have 52+ million committed to players next season. That's a lot of cash on hand plus losing a player to Vegas to attack the free agent market so I don't think the Avs are going to give anybody away.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Winger is the least important position. Trading a top 4 defenseman for a top 6 winger doesn't make sense if you don't have a surplus of dmen (which we don't).

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
iu

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My guess is it would have to be a larger than 1 for 1 deal. The reason to do the trade if it were out there, is that Landeskog is both younger than Toffoli and Pearson(although not by that much), and already signed until 2021. That's also probably why Colorado wouldn't want to do it.

The reason Lucic isn't a King anymore is because of the contracts of Brown and Gaborik. Lucic isn't a King last year if Boston doesn't retain 50%. They have to sign Toffoli. Sake of argument, Pearson gets included in a Landeskog trade. That's then going to be 4 wingers making at least $5m(give or take), and two of them are teetering.

DB and MG make it almost impossible to add another winger(or anyone really), but they need another winger to make up for the lack of offense from DB and MG. Lombardi can't throw more picks around, because this team has burned him on that more often than not recently. That's why my guess is it would have to be a multi-player trade, complicating everything, which would probably make it not happen.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Trade Muzzin for Landeskog. Landeskog makes Kempe expendable.

At the deadline trade Kempe for Trouba.

Landeskog-Kopitar-Gaborik
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Dowd-Setoguchi/Mersch
King-Shore-Nolan/Andreoff

Forbort-Doughty
Martinez-Trouba
McNabb-Gravel
Greene

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Pearson-Carter-Toffoli

Forbort-Doughty
Martinez-Trouba
McNabb-Gravel
Greene

Kempe wouldn't land Trouba, Kempe is not even the Kings best AHL player.

Jets would laugh at that proposal

Who exactly do you folks think Kempe is ? The guy is struggling to play at an AHL level currently.

He is not the next Kopitar/Doughty, level talent. Heck, I don't even think he is at a Tanner Pearson level of talent yet.

Certainly doesn't have a scoring touch like Toffoli, not even close.

You folks need to watch some AHL games.

Last edited:

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Kempe wouldn't land Trouba, Kempe is not even the Kings best AHL player.

Jets would laugh at that proposal

Who exactly do you folks think Kempe is ? The guy is struggling to play at an AHL level currently.

He is not the next Kopitar/Doughty, level talent. Heck, I don't even think he is at a Tanner Pearson level of talent yet.

Certainly doesn't have a scoring touch like Toffoli, not even close.

You folks need to watch some AHL games.

Purcell has more points than Kempe in the AHL in half the # of games. That's all you need to know about his scoring touch. Has some nice attributes for sure but a top 6er in the NHL? Not even close right now.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings are in sort of a weird position.

They're in win now mode, but at the same time they're trying to rebuild the depleted farm. They also don't have any areas of surplus talent; they're equally thin through out the organization.

So they're not really in a position to make significant trades.

On paper it looks like the team needs scoring, but watching the games you get a sense that the team needs to improve its defensive pairs first.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

Pearson-Carter-Toffoli

Forbort-Doughty
Martinez-Trouba
McNabb-Gravel
Greene

We can just package Brown and Gaborik for Landeskog and Duchene also! Hell, i will throw in a first rounder to sweeten things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad