GDT: LA Kings Rookie Tournament

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Also, completely disagree with Pronman or whomever said Dvorak's skating is bad while watching more of it. He's not a figure skate out there, but he is pretty mobile (although he looks smaller than prpreviously.
Reminds me a bit of Simmonds and Toffoli when they were drafted. Not many deficiencies in their game or skills that are below average, but you need something as a weakness, so the non-conventional stride and skating gets focused on.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

Mostly sharing it for the loss of body fat
I Think It Moved George GIF - I Think It Moved George George Costanza - Discover & Share GIFs

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Kings aren’t so great at first round picking and developing - they are better in the later rounds.

Pinelli (2nd) , Dvorak (2nd), Laferriere (3rd), Helenius (2nd) are basically the 1st round pick prospects at this point and they looked just as good as other teams firsts last night - I went to the Ducks Vs Knights game also.

Jack Hughes wasn’t there - he was a another 2nd.

Faber was another 2nd they struck gold with and traded.

Kirsanov (3rd) is in the KHL.

Vilardi, Kupari, Byfield and Clarke were the only 1st round picks under Blake and he traded two and the other two graduated out of the rookie tournament.

Between those four what does Blake have to show? One good season from Vilardi.

Same with the Cup teams - Quick (3rd), Martinez (4th), Nolan (7th), King (4th) were all later round picks. Toffoli, Voynov, and Clifford were 2nd rounders. Simmonds was a 2nd and they used him a trade piece.

Kopitar, Lewis, Pearson, Doughty, and Bernier were all 1st rounders. Schenn was a 1st, but also used as a trade piece. Bernier was outplayed by Quick and Pearson was only around for the 2014 cup run. So really three first rounders contributed versus seven 2nd thru 7th round picks mentioned above.

Kings actually had luck drafting as low as the 7th round with Nic Dowd and Jacob Middleton.

They lucked out with the Kopitar pick (Dave Taylor) and Doughty was the Kings highest pick ever (1st round and second overall). Besides that, the Kings most impactful cup players were drafted 2-7.

Moral of the story, Kings are better in later rounds unless they luck out at first like they did with Kopitar and later Kempe.
Yeah it’s kinda hard to care about decent players like Pinelli when we have first round players who haven’t amounted to anything. I find it impossible to be excited to watch any of the rookie games because they’re not going to amount to anything either most likely.

Reactions: tigermask48

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
That picture hurts. The only forwards he has more points than have either not played a full season or are Chinahkov... So bad.
When you factor in the way Turcotte has panned out on top of the flop that Q has been so far…. Just pain.

For the record, I was stoked with the Byfield pick (and the Turcotte pick), but it has just developed into a god damned Greek tragedy.

The story ain’t over, but it’s getting a little late for a happy ending.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
When you factor in the way Turcotte has panned out on top of the flop that Q has been so far…. Just pain.

For the record, I was stoked with the Byfield pick (and the Turcotte pick), but it has just developed into a god damned Greek tragedy.

The story ain’t over, but it’s getting a little late for a happy ending.
I remember really wanting Byram and then Caufield over Turcotte simply because Caufield could actually score goals and Turcotte just seemed like the boring vanilla pick at the time.

Then the Byfield draft it was all Stutzle for me. I remember seeing a video of him laying some massive checks, something QB has never done in his career.

Reactions: Vote4Lubo

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Overall, the Kings are looking like the better team, but nothing is getting buried. Kings are better at sustaining pressure, while the Coyotes have had the better one-and-done chances.

Maybe it's because he needs to add weight, but Dvorak looks smaller than his listed size a lot of the time.

Thought Ingham has looked decent, all things considered with his injuries. Hopefully they tender him a contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Chromiak nearly ruined the entire Yotes team there

Overall, the Kings are looking like the better team, but nothing is getting buried. Kings are better at sustaining pressure, while the Coyotes have had the better one-and-done chances.

Maybe it's because he needs to add weight, but Dvorak looks smaller than his listed size a lot of the time.

Thought Ingham has looked decent, all things considered with his injuries. Hopefully they tender him a contract.

Ingham is easy to root for, dude is a battler. I hope he sticks. I had higher hopes for him being an NHL 1B before his injury than most of the other G prospects

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

yeah i'm not seeing the numbers on dvorak either, looks like every other 6'2 190lber out there. krygier almost the opposite to me, every time i'm like man that's a big boy

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That DEF looked like it should have been interference on armstrong :laugh:

Looked like he was TRYING to check the goalie and wasn't able to

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That DEF looked like it should have been interference on armstrong :laugh:

Looked like he was TRYING to check the goalie and wasn't able to
he fooled me live, thought he was driven in by the defenseman but that was pretty blatant

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Coyotes overpass on the powerplay and the period ends well before they got a shot off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad