GDT: LA Kings Rookie Tournament

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Oops! Completely forgot about the youngsters Tourny Game against the "Sharts"!!! Witnessed the last 5 seconds...oops

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Jamsen's blonde hair makes him look like a flashlight lol
Gee I thought you'd say he reminded you of a young Juha (Whitey)Widing

Lafferierre looking great in OT, made some nice defensive plays and showing some offensive skill
Good to hear did young Chromiak play?

Attachments

• juha_widing_01.gif
    juha_widing_01.gif
    209 KB · Views: 1
  • Aatu-1.jpg
    Aatu-1.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 1

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Lafferierre looking great in OT, made some nice defensive plays and showing some offensive skill
laf was impressive, seemed like him, pinelli and lee were consistently the best players on the ice. as expected i guess, but good to see

just happy to be watching hockey again

Portillo sucks
can't lie, wasn't much about him that impressed me there

not gonna hang a guy over the 1st rookie game but yeah, welcome to the big leagues i guess

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
What no Alex("Andre") Faust at the controls...pretty boy Floyd couldn't see another season,wonder why? For me it was his nauseating know everything when he knew little cause 1 he never played the game at any level! And I bet he was a pain in the Arse to be around professionally! I wonder how "Foxy" or Carrlyn liked him...I guess there was a reason Nick Nickson and Darryl Evans did some games or am I imagining that happened?PS Always liked Fox and his commentary...the guy played for the Kings and was the 2nd line RWing behind the greatest LA King(RW) in their history Dave Taylor of the vaulted Triple Crown Line! Remember them? The most prolific of all LA lines ever...MDionne the Magician scorer and playmaking extraordinaire...Taylor the guts and finest Corner man and Simmer the lanky LWinger who twice scored 56 goals in a season...them were the days my Friends I thought they'd never end...Sorry went off on a tangent again...Anyways hope Young Faust learned his lesson and turns up somewhere...maybe English Canada in Montreal will have him? Good Luck to him

laf was impressive, seemed like him, pinelli and lee were consistently the best players on the ice. as expected i guess, but good to see

just happy to be watching hockey again

can't lie, wasn't much about him that impressed me there

not gonna hang a guy over the 1st rookie game but yeah, welcome to the big leagues i guess
I've been watching the KHL for 2 weeks now...you should check it out great hockey with some Familiar names Russian and North American

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Portillo sucks
He's a Rookie and just outta College...temper your expectations cause they will not bring him up ala JQuicker...Lets see the BRanford and Company work with him 2-3 years and then see?

Sucks to lose but fun to see the prospects.
Lose? They played OT...I screwed up again and again today

Nice move to take the lead ... but would like to see LA control the play more.
Did Clarke play?And Spence or is he not considered a Rookie anymore?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
He looks the same size as Andreoff.
That's funny you mentioned Andreoff he's playing in the KHL with Novosibirsk and I actually have watch him play the last couple of games! They have him playing Centre but LWing also! He doesn't have any points in 6 games

I agree.

Also, completely disagree with Pronman or whomever said Dvorak's skating is bad while watching more of it. He's not a figure skate out there, but he is pretty mobile (although he looks smaller than previously.
Good thing about young Jakub Dvorak is that he has the frame to add the weight! There aren't many Europeans,Czechs included that are poor skaters...that would be un-civilized

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He's a Rookie and just outta College...temper your expectations cause they will not bring him up ala JQuicker...Lets see the BRanford and Company work with him 2-3 years and then see?

Lose? They played OT...I screwed up again and again today

Did Clarke play?And Spence or is he not considered a Rookie anymore?

Both Spence and Clarke are on the Australia trip list, they leave tomorrow. Neither are at the rookie camp.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Sammy Helenius is another player who stood out, mainly for his physical play. This is something coach Marco Sturm and many in the organization have been waiting for — they wanted to see a bit of a meaner streak coming from the 6-foot-6 center. From what we hear, he spent quite a bit of time training with Jeremy Clark over the summer and has reduced his body fat by more than 50%. He looked like a man possessed at times on Friday, staring down the Sharks goalie after one play in the first period and then later having a prolonged ‘Do you want some of this?’ moment with another Sharks player near center quite some time later. Eventually, Helenius had one of the best hockey fights in the tournament’s history. The towering Finn may have thrown over a dozen solid punches and only took one big bomb, which didn’t even phase him.

Mostly sharing it for the loss of body fat

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Sammy Helenius is another player who stood out, mainly for his physical play. This is something coach Marco Sturm and many in the organization have been waiting for — they wanted to see a bit of a meaner streak coming from the 6-foot-6 center. From what we hear, he spent quite a bit of time training with Jeremy Clark over the summer and has reduced his body fat by more than 50%. He looked like a man possessed at times on Friday, staring down the Sharks goalie after one play in the first period and then later having a prolonged ‘Do you want some of this?’ moment with another Sharks player near center quite some time later. Eventually, Helenius had one of the best hockey fights in the tournament’s history. The towering Finn may have thrown over a dozen solid punches and only took one big bomb, which didn’t even phase him.

Mostly sharing it for the loss of body fat

Stop. Johnny Utah can only get so hard...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kinda crazy we went from one of the best prospect pools in the NHL to one of the worst. That was very short lived. Says a lot about drafting and development. If players like Chromiak and Pinelli are the ones to be excited about then the Kings are in serious trouble.

Reactions: tigermask48

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kinda crazy we went from one of the best prospect pools in the NHL to one of the worst. That was very short lived. Says a lot about drafting and development. If players like Chromiak and Pinelli are the ones to be excited about then the Kings are in serious trouble.

The Kings aren’t so great at first round picking and developing - they are better in the later rounds.

Pinelli (2nd) , Dvorak (2nd), Laferriere (3rd), Helenius (2nd) are basically the 1st round pick prospects at this point and they looked just as good as other teams firsts last night - I went to the Ducks Vs Knights game also.

Jack Hughes wasn’t there - he was a another 2nd.

Faber was another 2nd they struck gold with and traded.

Kirsanov (3rd) is in the KHL.

Vilardi, Kupari, Byfield and Clarke were the only 1st round picks under Blake and he traded two and the other two graduated out of the rookie tournament.

Between those four what does Blake have to show? One good season from Vilardi.

Same with the Cup teams - Quick (3rd), Martinez (4th), Nolan (7th), King (4th) were all later round picks. Toffoli, Voynov, and Clifford were 2nd rounders. Simmonds was a 2nd and they used him a trade piece.

Kopitar, Lewis, Pearson, Doughty, and Bernier were all 1st rounders. Schenn was a 1st, but also used as a trade piece. Bernier was outplayed by Quick and Pearson was only around for the 2014 cup run. So really three first rounders contributed versus seven 2nd thru 7th round picks mentioned above.

Kings actually had luck drafting as low as the 7th round with Nic Dowd and Jacob Middleton.

They lucked out with the Kopitar pick (Dave Taylor) and Doughty was the Kings highest pick ever (1st round and second overall). Besides that, the Kings most impactful cup players were drafted 2-7.

Moral of the story, Kings are better in later rounds unless they luck out at first like they did with Kopitar and later Kempe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad