GDT: LA Kings Rookie Tournament

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The drama is real. Only 10 of the 27 players on the Kings rookie camp roster have a pro contract with the Kings/Reign this year. And those 10 players weren't all on the ice together in one game. It's a bunch of camp invites playing with a few prospects. Holy over analyzing.
That's mischaracterizing things just as much as people you're criticizing of over analyzing. There are 13 players who are Kings' property at camp. And Portillo, the goalie, who IS under contract, and is the next wave in the pipeline where Kings are most in need to address (goaltending) was outplayed by the opposition as well as the invites.

Portillo is 23. Among the older players in the tournament.

All the complaints and most of the negative observations have been about goaltending.

The Kings have to count on development to bring him up to a higher level, but given what's happened recently with goaltending, the criticisms and concerns are warranted.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Only goal I saw today was Carlson's goal. Nice individual play by him, but yeah needs to be better goaltending. But overall the players that we wanted to focus on I.E. Laferriere and Pinelli stood out in a good way and reinforces what we all thought of them. Ziemmer and Dvorak I think we would all agree shows potential, but also displayed their inexperience.

Mildly concerning about Portillo, but its offset by the fact that Ingham looked really good. Think he earned his way back to an NHL contract, but then Ontario would have 3 goalies in Rittich and Portillo and someone would have to go down to the ECHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
More examples of development at its finest

Hanging onto the absolutely wrong goaltender (Villalta) for years to the detriment of so many others with more potential (Parik, Hrenak, Ingham) only to let him go for f***ing nothing after the others are mostly gone, lol.

Luckily I like Ingham and Portillo is a big ball of clay but man has that pipeline been been blown almost worse than the LHD one

Oh well, at least we have a million 5'11" potential bottom six JAGs to show for it.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
There is no Vallalta,Vallalta is gone! I thought Parik was going to be the next Kings Goaltender...And Hrenak flew the coup
The Kings goaltending is a mess, Parik never had a contract but was playing in ECHL last year, Hrenak is playing in the Czech league this season and no longer a Kings prospect.

The Kings have Rittich as the veteran in Ontario, Portillo under contract and hold the rights to Ingham for 1(?) more year.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Kings goaltending is a mess, Parik never had a contract but was playing in ECHL last year, Hrenak is playing in the Czech league this season and no longer a Kings prospect.

The Kings have Rittich as the veteran in Ontario, Portillo under contract and hold the rights to Ingham for 1(?) more year.
Ingham is actually a UFA. Kings didn't re-sign him due to his injuries but invited him back to camp.

The Kings pipeline right now is:
Talbot
Copley
Rittich
Portillo
Slukynsky
Markkanen

With J-F Berube on a tryout contract.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So the Kings prospects still suck. I don’t know how any of you guys get up for this bullshit. It’s all a train wreck. We can’t even develop our top 5 picks. Slow your expectations.

Reactions: Schmooley

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So the Kings prospects still suck. I don’t know how any of you guys get up for this bullshit.
I can't speak for others, but I love watching the game of the players grow. Granted, it was more fun when I could actually attend these camps, but I still have fond memories of Patrick O'Sullivan and Anze Kopitar punk the rest of the camp before they played an NHL game. Or Dwight King lazily doing warm-up exercises in his D+1 only to have him start taking things more seriously the following years and making his way in the NHL.

It's definitely not for everyone. And those who devote time should not expect immediate satisfaction (though I'm guilty of forgetting this, myself).

Ziemmer, for example, looked seemingly more comfortable by game 3 versus game 1. And his drive to the net + secondary assist led to Tschigerl's goal. Laferriere and Lee led the team when not too long ago, they were the wide-eyed newcomers.

They don't all become NHLers. It sucks to see. But there are fewer things more rewarding in hockey, to me, than watching those players who do rise above the odds.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
So the Kings prospects still suck. I don’t know how any of you guys get up for this bullshit. It’s all a train wreck. We can’t even develop our top 5 picks. Slow your expectations.
Team is really deep right now. It's a good lineup. Get a goalie by the deadline or next summer & the roster should be dangerous & LEWIS!!!!

Don't care that the King's "missed out" on some exciting young players that are going to get big cap hits & still be minus players. Who would the King's cut to fit one of these 8M contracts? Fiala or PLD > Zebras.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m not remotely worried about Portillo at this point. Plenty of goaltenders take a significant proportion of camp to get going and often a few competitive games to properly dial it in. On top of that the consensus seems to be he’s at least 1 if not 2 years away minimum.

I would like to see Ingham get a contract soon, if the spots (contracts) allow it, because if his start continues he will get snapped up. Obviously make sure it’s not just a hot start but I doubt they’d get to the regular season without someone taking a flyer.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I can't speak for others, but I love watching the game of the players grow. Granted, it was more fun when I could actually attend these camps, but I still have fond memories of Patrick O'Sullivan and Anze Kopitar punk the rest of the camp before they played an NHL game. Or Dwight King lazily doing warm-up exercises in his D+1 only to have him start taking things more seriously the following years and making his way in the NHL.

It's definitely not for everyone. And those who devote time should not expect immediate satisfaction (though I'm guilty of forgetting this, myself).

Ziemmer, for example, looked seemingly more comfortable by game 3 versus game 1. And his drive to the net + secondary assist led to Tschigerl's goal. Laferriere and Lee led the team when not too long ago, they were the wide-eyed newcomers.

They don't all become NHLers. It sucks to see. But there are fewer things more rewarding in hockey, to me, than watching those players who do rise above the odds.
Ziemmer signed my jersey and took a pic. He is a cross between Toffoli and Clifford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad