Kings News: LA Kings Re-Sign Robyn Regehr to a 2 Year Contract Extension @ $3 Million Per Season

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That I will agree with you.

RR is probably better suited for our 3rd pairing, but then, do we move Amart to play with DD or Muzzin?

Ya that's my issue. I think both RR and Greener are third line guys. However putting them together would be scary slow.
As far as who plays with Doughty I want Mitchell. They have done well together before.
I think I would go with
Mitchell-DD
RR-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
This does not indicate sides.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That I will agree with you.

RR is probably better suited for our 3rd pairing, but then, do we move Amart to play with DD or Muzzin?

The thought of Regehr paired with Greene just sounds disastrous. Unfortunately, Regehr was the best option available given the loss of Scuderi and uncertainty of Mitchell. It really was slim pickings. Hell, that's why they went out and signed Jeff Schultz. The UFA list for stay at home dmen was full of crap.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Ya that's my issue. I think both RR and Greener are third line guys. However putting them together would be scary slow.
As far as who plays with Doughty I want Mitchell. They have done well together before.
I think I would go with
Mitchell-DD
RR-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
This does not indicate sides.

I'm not comfortable with RR and VV together.

DD-Muzz/Amart
VV-Mitchell
Greene-Amart/RR

I would rotate Muzz, Amart and RR. Give Muzz only 1st pairing minutes; give Amart 1st pairing and 3rd pairing minutes and thus, getting the most games of the 3; give RR 3rd pairing minutes.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
The thought of Regehr paired with Greene just sounds disastrous. Unfortunately, Regehr was the best option available given the loss of Scuderi and uncertainty of Mitchell. It really was slim pickings. Hell, that's why they went out and signed Jeff Schultz. The UFA list for stay at home dmen was full of crap.

I concur.

However, who would have thought that Muzz would have been a good pairing with DD? So, although, it may look a bit scary on paper, I think it's worth a look.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I concur.

However, who would have thought that Muzz would have been a good pairing with DD? So, although, it may look a bit scary on paper, I think it's worth a look.

I am not sold that Muzzin and DD work well together. I mean just cause Doughty says he likes it does not mean it is what is best for the team. I do think it is worth a look though.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I understand that he hasn't been great. But he's not nearly as bad as many of you guys are making him out to be.

His stats show that he is 1 of the, if not the very, worst dman in the league over the last few years that hasn't been a random AHL call up or whatever

and the eye test makes him look even worse

He is basically a slightly worse Matt Greene, so if he was used in that role, he would still be the whipping boy, but as a 6th dman he would at least be serviceable. But we have arguably the worst dman in the league playing against the best opposition, which is why he looks so awful

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I'd be shocked if Orpik isn't a King if he makes it to free agency.

Orpik isn't the answer either. PIT fans last season were complaining about his play the same way we aren't satisfied with RR. i've watched some PIT games and i dont see why we would want him.

KingKopitar11*

Man, wish we have traded for Bouwmeester, he would look good next to Doughty

St . Louis probably went guns blazing the second they saw he was available. Sucks. I'm sure if DL inquired he would of done it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Bouwmeester would have been nice in theory, but I don't see how they would have been able to fit his $6.68M cap hit under the ceiling. The Blues also did a good job securing him for the next 5 years, though it is debatable if he'll be worth the money considering his dwindling numbers over the past couple seasons.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Orpik isn't the answer either. PIT fans last season were complaining about his play the same way we aren't satisfied with RR. i've watched some PIT games and i dont see why we would want him.

I agree but I know how hard Lombardi went after Orpik the last time, and I feel like once he gets it in his head he wants a guy he goes all out.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I still think we should try a guy like Andrew Campbell next to Doughty. He's a pretty steady player with Manchester and has been a really good +/- guy the last couple years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Bouwmeester would have been nice in theory, but I don't see how they would have been able to fit his $6.68M cap hit under the ceiling. The Blues also did a good job securing him for the next 5 years, though it is debatable if he'll be worth the money considering his dwindling numbers over the past couple seasons.

He's certainly going to be overpaid for what he brings towards the end of that contract, but production aside, he should still be steady. He's big, fast, and in position most of the time. I feel like he'll be a 'good' defenseman until he's 40. He'd look great next to DOughty, but yeah, ugh, that cap hit.

I agree but I know how hard Lombardi went after Orpik the last time, and I feel like once he gets it in his head he wants a guy he goes all out.

Seriously. the guy would bring Mike Ricci out of retirement if he could :laugh:

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Boumeester's hit will be his undoing
I haven't looked at them recently, but if I recall his possession numbers are quite poor; certainly he's overpaid, but the data indicates that he's not even that good to begin with. No, Bouwmeister was never the answer, and he's always underachieved relative to his hype and perhaps his potential.

This is a point where I would really like to see Lombardi's "moneyball" tactics in action. Given our cap constraints and our relative lack of movable assets, we need to find a guy who is undervalued relative to what he brings to the table, which almost certainly means someone who's not huge, flashy, or a big scorer; instead, we just need someone who is solid positionally, fairly light on his toes, and makes a good first pass, all things that will be generally reflected in good Corsi and Fenwick numbers. Put a guy like that with Doughty and we could have a winning combination. Doughty really just needs someone to enable him, to just not hold him back. Doughty is, after all, Doughty: he's going to make the players around him better because of his incredible gifts. The problem at the moment is that Regher is so bad that even Doughty cannot rescue him, and this is what is so frustrating about the Regher trade and especially the subsequent signing: it was OBVIOUS statistically that Regher was not a good player. His advanced stats were literally at the bottom of the league, even accounting for the quality of competition and the quality of his teammates. Everyone on his team had better numbers when NOT playing with him, and that's a huge red flag--and yet Lombardi and Sutter, who have in the past indicated that they follow advanced stats, did not see this. That's unfortunate, because they've taken what could be a Cup contending team, and hamstrung it.

guderian

Nov 10, 2006
Zagreb
Other player that would be great fit(I like ti imagrn he would be great fit) is Andrew Macdonald. He can log big minutes and is rock solid(carere +/- +6 with Islanders!).

But it's just pipe dream Kings could get him...

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The trick is finding someone who Doughty looks good next to. Without Scuderi, he really isn't very good...

I'm not buying that for a second. Doughty looks good all the time, the problem is when he does too much. He gets cute with the puck and fumbles it or gives it away trying to make the play all the time.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I still think we should try a guy like Andrew Campbell next to Doughty. He's a pretty steady player with Manchester and has been a really good +/- guy the last couple years.

When I think of Campbell drawing top defensive assignments, I literally shudder.

Just swap RR and WM and see what happens. Maybe it would help all 4 of those pairings to refocus.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Opponents can pretty much double team Doughty on breakouts out of the Kings' zone, because they know that if Doughty does dump the puck to Regehr that he isn't going to make the tape-to-tape pass that will hurt them, and he can't skate it out himself.

I'm in favor of putting Muzzin in and sitting Regehr, but it won't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad