Post-Game Talk: LA Kings at New York Rangers 11-17-13

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The biggest problem here was faceoffs and, more specifically, losing key faceoffs. LAK won 40. NYR won 23.

Yeah that's a big problem. This team has to find a way to get better in the dot. They won so many offensive zone faceoffs, that when you combine that with the size of their forwards, it makes it very hard to escape the zone.

I don't think it was a bad game overall, but it seems to be feast or famine with this team. That's concerning.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Here's the thing, though. If you kick a puck over to a teammate and a defender slides over and knocks it it, is it still not a goal? No-goal is probably the right call, but if Moore kicks it into an opponent and it goes in, the nature of the play changes. As it was the goalie, it's probably moot. But if it had hit a defenseman or forward, I suspect it's a good goal. Just a minor point.

I was curious about this too. I wasn't sure if maybe it was going to count since he kicked it into the goalie's pads and then it went into the net. It was so disappointing to see he had kicked it though, especially since the play was blocked at first on the broadcast angle.

I thought it was a disappointing game from Zuke. As good as the top line has been, it hurts to have 2 playmakers and only 1 goal scorer on that line.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Food for thought, does the team play so well that we genuinely believe we can win every game ? And does the plausibility make a loss sting even more ?

Or is it equally terrible either way

I think some losses sting more than others. This game reminds me of the Ducks game. Just, pure frustration. A loss like the one against New Jersey isn't as bothersome.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah that's a big problem. This team has to find a way to get better in the dot. They won so many offensive zone faceoffs, that when you combine that with the size of their forwards, it makes it very hard to escape the zone.

I don't think it was a bad game overall, but it seems to be feast or famine with this team. That's concerning.

As much as faceoffs were a big issue, it's not really surprising considering LA is 56% as a team on the season. You don't average that without having games at 63% like last night.

My bigger issue is the way we never did anything with the faceoffs we did win. For example, we won both initial faceoffs on the 5-on-3s and nothing happened either time. It's like they were surprised.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
As much as faceoffs were a big issue, it's not really surprising considering LA is 56% as a team on the season. You don't average that without having games at 63% like last night.

My bigger issue is the way we never did anything with the faceoffs we did win. For example, we won both initial faceoffs on the 5-on-3s and nothing happened either time. It's like they were surprised.

This is key. We did a ton of work last night trying to get pucks (including winning a handful of face-offs) and then immediately gave the puck away.

I was saying while watching the game "Jeez... even the faceoffs we win, we don't dont win! WTF!?!"

We never had the puck last night and when we did, the 'ol dump 'n chase came out. Great plan, dump against a bigger, stronger team. Brilliant. This isn't to say there isn't a time and place for that, but we work so hard for the puck and then say "Here you go!"

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

It's not surprising, but regardless of how good LA is as a team, we need to get better in that facet of the game. In fact, my biggest issue with Stepan is his inability to battle for pucks in the faceoff circle. He really has to work on that.

You're right about the inability to convert when we did win draws.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm in love with McDonagh's puck rushing ability. Staal used to be able to do that as well, but a major issue with our transition game is that it's predictable. Outlet pass, or rim it around the boards. Nobody aside from McD and Moore seem very confident in rushing the puck up the ice, yet both of them created some solid scoring chances last night by doing just that.

Bardof425*

I may be in the minority here, but I thought Staal was putrid tonight. Had a couple really bad giveaways and fumbled the puck on a few occasions that cost the team scoring chances.

Unfortunately, I agree. I was wondering if his eye was an issue as he botched a couple of easy breakout opportunities. The Kings are heavy and have great sticks. The fact that they win a lot of draws helps as well. Tough to get scoring chances on. but we worked and their only goal was a fluke. Good effort all around, just not the result.

Bardof425*

Man, did Slats get hosed in the Gaborik trade. Brassard, Moore, and Dorsett are garbage.

Embarrassing post. Hosed? no. did he lose the trade? If Brassard keeps playing like this; maybe. Then it is up to Moore to become a top 4 dman cause Dorsett is what he is and he is pretty good at his role.

Gabby is not producing much for the Jackets so I'm not sure what this is based on even if unhappy with our guys.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
You know face offs would be a problem when they showed of FO% just before the game. All Kings top 3 centers well above .50 and Brad, Step and Brass all under .50. In some areas we just need Boyle.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Embarrassing post. Hosed? no. did he lose the trade? If Brassard keeps playing like this; maybe. Then it is up to Moore to become a top 4 dman cause Dorsett is what he is and he is pretty good at his role.

Gabby is not producing much for the Jackets so I'm not sure what this is based on even if unhappy with our guys.

Yeah, when Drew defends Sather, you know it's a bad post.

Wolfy*

Look at this :facepalm:

A HUGE chance for Zucc, at least he admits it was a mistake not to shoot.

But Stepan was in a good position also, I can understand what Zucc tried to do. Just one problem, there was a D between them.

parameter

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Great plan, dump against a bigger, stronger team. Brilliant. This isn't to say there isn't a time and place for that, but we work so hard for the puck and then say "Here you go!"
Dump and chase was not the issue. The bigger, stronger team was. The Rangers are not built to play well against a team with size.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

But Stepan was in a good position also, I can understand what Zucc tried to do. Just one problem, there was a D between them.

parameter
Looks like Scrivens is off his angles too. Though Zucc would never have known, as he didn't even glance at him.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

parameter

Just awful. Even if the very difficult pass does get through, I don't think Stepan has a better or easier scoring chance than Zuccarello does.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Dorsett was coming down the RW in the 3rd and he chose to pass instead of shoot. He has a nice shot. On the Zucc gaffe, Girardi was probably a better passing option, as he was coming into the slot late, uncovered. But there's no excuse for any player not to shoot in that position.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

parameter

I'm sure AV had a strong opinion on wether or not that was a good move, and told him about it during intermission

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Just awful. Even if the very difficult pass does get through, I don't think Stepan has a better or easier scoring chance than Zuccarello does.

Yeah he showed pass the entire time, should have shot. Not a great chance considering how far out Scrivens is, but he didn't have to go far to get to Stepan's shot either.

Wolfy*

Looks like Scrivens is off his angles too. Though Zucc would never have known, as he didn't even glance at him.

Exactly, looks like he had more or less an open net there. But he only focused on Stepan.

Oh well, I'm sure he didn't like to watch that replay. Hopefully learned, and will shoot more.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Even if you are a "pass first" type of forward like Zucc, there's no excuse for that. Taking the shot is clearly the high-percentage play here. Not only do the Rangers need finishers, but they need players who have a willingness to shoot the puck when the opportunity arises instead of trying to make the perfect passing play.

Punxrocknyc19*

Even if you are a "pass first" type of forward like Zucc, there's no excuse for that. Taking the shot is clearly the high-percentage play here. Not only do the Rangers need finishers, but they need players who have a willingness to shoot the puck when the opportunity arises instead of trying to make the perfect passing play.

the Rangers need a puck hog or someone with that shoot first mentality on this team. does any other NHL teams have problems with passing more than shooting the puck.. whats next on tuesday... Stepan has a chance to score on a breakaway and Rask waiting and Stepan made a drop pass which makes it a 3 on 1 for the Bruins and Bruins win 2-0 :sarcasm:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
My only question is, if the pass connected and we scored do we still hear talk about it?

I'm sure there would have been a few comments about the risk and surprise he didn't shoot, but to this degree no. Would there have been as much hype around the 4th Hertl goal had Biron saved it?

You can ask this about almost any play.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My only question is, if the pass connected and we scored do we still hear talk about it?
Of course not.

If it was intercepted and the Kings scored, does he play the rest of the period?

If the pass was tipped and struck someone in the head, killing them, is he a murderer?

The pass didn't connect. It showed little chance of doing so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad