Kings Article: LA Kings-Anaheim Ducks Rivalry: It’s Probably Nowhere Near What You Think It Is

Ron*

I've never considered it a rivalry and to be honest, I don't think the Kings have any rivals. Proximity doesn't equate a rivalry. Sure they've met a couple teams, a couple times in the playoffs over the course of their current core, but that doesn't make a rivalry. A feud more than anything.

Yes very good point RP. I really don't think we have any real rivals, either. Arizona comes closest in my mind, but with their drop-off this season, even that "rivalry" has lost some real steam from the past three seasons, where it was really heating up.

Ron*

Both fanbases make it out to be a big rivalry. The newer the fan, the bigger the rivalry they perceive it to be.

Ducks are just another team in the division. A very good team, to be sure, but nothing special. I don't get up for a Ducks game any more than, say, a Carolina game.

Captain Mittens*

Ducks are just another team in the division. A very good team, to be sure, but nothing special. I don't get up for a Ducks game any more than, say, a Carolina game.

I disagree on this. Especially the last line.

I know you live in OC too, but us Kings fans in OC interact with Ducks fans almost every day. Whether is it getting flipped off on the freeway, our car getting vandalized, or getting told we are buying the wrong team's merchandise at sports authority and several of us OC Kings fans have Ducks fans as coworkers.

Bragging rights with Ducks fans are HUGE. Between 07-12 they constantly reminded us that they won and the Kings hadn't. Between 12-14 we repeatedly heard "we won it first"
Now the Kings have the bragging rights of winning the first playoff series between the two teams and having two cups to their one.

Against a team like Carolina...it isn't a game I will look forward too for days but that is defintely the case for a game against the Ducks. it also stings when the Kings lose to the Ducks. Where with a team like Carolina, it's more like "Meh, they are in the East"

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Regional fan rivalry with two excellent teams, and nothing else so far. Hard to generate hatred when you train with the guys and have won WJCs with them and such. Maybe Kesler is exactly what it needs to blow everything up. Or Anaheim could trade for Doan/Hanzal/Smith.

Really do think Kings/Vancouver is a crazier rivalry and Kings/Sharks is starting to get really, really nasty emotionally.

The players can get into Kings-Ducks, though. They've all acknowledged how nutty the buildings get for those games and even if they don't hate each other there certainly is a little extra on the line. That's pretty good for SoCal hockey. Even better that both teams are really damn good right now. I've been hoping for this for the better part of 20 years.

Edit: also agree that the divisional playoffs will manufacture, artificially or otherwise, some genuine discord as teams see each other more than they want to.

Ron*

I disagree on this. Especially the last line.

I know you live in OC too, but us Kings fans in OC interact with Ducks fans almost every day. Whether is it getting flipped off on the freeway, our car getting vandalized, or getting told we are buying the wrong team's merchandise at sports authority and several of us OC Kings fans have Ducks fans as coworkers.

Bragging rights with Ducks fans are HUGE. Between 07-12 they constantly reminded us that they won and the Kings hadn't. Between 12-14 we repeatedly heard "we won it first"
Now the Kings have the bragging rights of winning the first playoff series between the two teams and having two cups to their one.

Against a team like Carolina...it isn't a game I will look forward too for days but that is defintely the case for a game against the Ducks. it also stings when the Kings lose to the Ducks. Where with a team like Carolina, it's more like "Meh, they are in the East"

Other than dating one a few times, and meeting some of her Duck fan friends, I really don't interact at all with Ducks fans. I mostly work at home, and even when I go into the office, the only hockey fan there I talk hockey with is a Black Hawks fan. So my experience is obviously very different than yours. I get your sentiment. But to me, the Ducks are just another team in the division with a stupid nickname, and arena that blows, and an in-game experience that is laughable compared to Staples Center.

Ron*

Oh, and this guy:

852.f.jpg

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Oh, and this guy:

852.f.jpg

I truly believe that he's single-handedly responsible for the amount of uneducated, entitled and whiny Ducks fans out there.

The other team is never better than the Ducks. Either the Ducks beat themselves or the refs were playing for the other team. The Ducks are always the victims of the big bad refs and mean other team. It goes on and on with that Dbag.

Captain Mittens*

I truly believe that he's single-handedly responsible for the amount of uneducated, entitled and whiny Ducks fans out there.

The other team is never better than the Ducks. Either the Ducks beat themselves or the refs were playing for the other team. The Ducks are always the victims of the big bad refs and mean other team. It goes on and on with that Dbag.

Exactly

I've noticed there are really two types of Ducks fans. There is the passive fan that often says they like both teams or they don't particularly hate or even care about the Kings. Then there is the one with the chip on their shoulder that is constantly filibustering about the Ducks accomplishments or how they are superior to the Kings.

I've got a guy who I play hockey with who constantly needs to explain to me why the Ducks are better than the Kings. The Kings won the ****ing Stanley Cup last year and he's reminding me that the Ducks GM won "GM of the year" like I give a ****.

Ron*

Seabrook selling it! :laugh: My God, that guy went down like a felled tree, are you kidding me Haywad?

If Seabrook was acting, the guy is in the wrong business. That was Denzel Washington caliber level; Seabrook needs to move on to the big screen. :)

Captain Mittens*

I've noticed there are really two types of Ducks fans. There is the passive fan that often says they like both teams or they don't particularly hate or even care about the Kings. Then there is the one with the chip on their shoulder that is constantly filibustering about the Ducks accomplishments or how they are superior to the Kings.

I've got a guy who I play hockey with who constantly needs to explain to me why the Ducks are better than the Kings. The Kings won the ****ing Stanley Cup last year and he's reminding me that the Ducks GM won "GM of the year" like I give a ****.

You can split the chip on your shoulder category in to two groups

Extreme Duck fan: Usually from the 909 has the raised truck with the testicles on the tow hitch, in addition to the Ducks sticker, has a no fear sticker
16299726_311fb3e689.jpg

This is also that same Ducks fan that starts a verbal confrontation with you and your group of friends and then , on cue, takes his shirt off and tries to get physical. There were a **** ton of these at the Outdoor Game btw. Standing there shirtless around the beer kiosks mad dogging everyone that walked by

Here are two of them (remind me of when this has ever happened at Staples

Two Ducks fans fighting, video is labeled wrong

Tweenage girl Duck fan:(male and female)
This Duck fan loves to call you the Queens and mention that LA sucks or something, has has little to no knowledge of the rules and any other team. but you suck for not being a Ducks fan, and the Kings suck even though they don't know enough about the sport to tell you why the Kings suck

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron*

Tweenage girl Duck fan:(male and female)
This Duck fan loves to call you the Queens and mention that LA sucks or something, has has little to no knowledge of the rules and any other team. but you suck for not being a Ducks fan, and the Kings suck even though they don't know enough about the sport to tell you why the Kings suck
Well, to be fair, the Kings have played a Queen's song twice in the past three years:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You are talking about Ducks fans.

I dated one last year a few times and she insisted that there was a rivalry. I said no. At least, I can't speak for all Kings fans, but for me, I don't see a rivalry really between the Ducks and Kings or Sharks and Kings, but there probably has been an increased feeling of that since last playoffs.

I'm not sure if the Kings have any real rivals right now. Chicago and St. Louis are in the Central, and the real rivalries that existed before (Vancouver and Arizona) seemed to have died down a bit. (Mainly because Arizona now sucks and Vancouver imploded last season.)

They have to beat us first in the playoffs, when it matters to us, for there to be a real rivalry. :naughty:

The only rivals I see that fit the bill are Vancouver and Chicago. We've both dealt each other a heartbreaking playoff defeat.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Chicago is the closest we have to a true rival. An amazing, powerhouse team built similarly to ours who knows how to win. We will keep butting heads and keep each other from breezing to the Finals every year.

As for Ducks fans, they can't even fill up their own barn during the playoffs against the team that they hate the most. I had to laugh when the announcers on the NBC telecast said we regularly fill up each other's barns. I don't think so, Tim. That's a one way street. I also saw a HUGE influx of Ducks fans during the playoffs with flags and other gibberish on their cars. A good 80 percent of that disappeared as soon as they got bounced. Haven't seen much of it since.

Ron*

Chicago is the closest we have to a true rival. An amazing, powerhouse team built similarly to ours who knows how to win. We will keep butting heads and keep each other from breezing to the Finals every year.

As for Ducks fans, they can't even fill up their own barn during the playoffs against the team that they hate the most. I had to laugh when the announcers on the NBC telecast said we regularly full up each other's barns. I don't think so, Tim. That's a one way street. I also saw a HUGE influx of Ducks fans during the playoffs with flags and other gibberish on their cars. A good 80 percent of that disappeared as soon as they got bounced. Haven't seen much of it since.

Make that 100%. Everything came down after they lost to the Kings. It was like being transported to another world. Ducks flags everywhere, all into black hole as soon as the Kings beat the Ducks in game 7 (probably after the 1st period, actually).

My car was vandalized by a Ducks fan either during or shortly after the series. I don't remember which. But I'll hold that against Ducks fans until I die. I seriously can't stand their holier than thou attitude. They accuse Kings fans of being "Raiders fans" and doing all sorts of ridiculous stuff. Look, no doubt there are idiot Kings fans. There are idiots everywhere. You'd think that the Ducks fans would acknowledge that there are in fact idiots in their fan base.

The Ducks and their fans are a sensitive bunch.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...s-beauchemin-irked-by-kings-mascots-mumps-bit

I pondered whether this was taking it too far or not. My initial reaction was no. Then after some reflection I agreed with myself. If had some serious complications then that would be one thing but he appears to be healthy. It would be equivalent of making fun of somebody with chicken pox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad