Kings Article: LA Kings-Anaheim Ducks Rivalry: It’s Probably Nowhere Near What You Think It Is

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
It pains me to think the Kings players don't have a deep personal hatred of Corey Perry.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
It pains me to think the Kings players don't have a deep personal hatred of Corey Perry.

The Kings players actually cross-train with their Ducks counterparts. :naughty: Even NBCSN mentioned that during last year's playoffs.

Even then, I know a Mt. SAC student who's related with a Jr-level hockey player that beat Perry in a Beer League match. Ouch.

Ron*

Pretty much what I've been saying all along.

The rivalries will become bigger because these teams along with the Sharks are going to see each other every ****ing postseason. It's going to be come saturated, and then the league will have to change the playoff structure again when fans become bored with seeing the same teams year after year.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Really think the Kings only have a true rival with the Canucks. Both teams hate each-other.

The Ducks/Kings simply feels like a friendly rival.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Really think the Kings only have a true rival with the Canucks. Both teams hate each-other.

The Ducks/Kings simply feels like a friendly rival.

I'd put the Kings/Sharks in that discussion too. Those two teams seemingly really do dislike eachother on a personal and professional level. Well outside of the Couture/Doughty connection that is. The Ducks/Kings has always felt more of a thing for the fans to get bragging rights and nothing more.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
I'd put the Kings/Sharks in that discussion too. Those two teams seemingly really do dislike eachother on a personal and professional level. Well outside of the Couture/Doughty connection that is. The Ducks/Kings has always felt more of a thing for the fans to get bragging rights and nothing more.

Yet so many fans insist that it's a HUGE rivalry, the biggest in the NHL, that it's bitter and that the teams hate each other.

I just shake my head at the tremendous exaggeration.

It's almost 100% between the fans of the teams. That's it.

Last edited:

Ron*

Yet so many fans insist that it's a HUGE rivalry, the biggest in the NHL, that it's bitter that the teams hate each other.

You are talking about Ducks fans.

I dated one last year a few times and she insisted that there was a rivalry. I said no. At least, I can't speak for all Kings fans, but for me, I don't see a rivalry really between the Ducks and Kings or Sharks and Kings, but there probably has been an increased feeling of that since last playoffs.

I'm not sure if the Kings have any real rivals right now. Chicago and St. Louis are in the Central, and the real rivalries that existed before (Vancouver and Arizona) seemed to have died down a bit. (Mainly because Arizona now sucks and Vancouver imploded last season.)

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

I dated one last year a few times and she insisted that there was a rivalry. I said no. At least, I can't speak for all Kings fans, but for me, I don't see a rivalry really between the Ducks and Kings or Sharks and Kings, but there probably has been an increased feeling of that since last playoffs.

I'm not sure if the Kings have any real rivals right now. Chicago and St. Louis are in the Central, and the real rivalries that existed before (Vancouver and Arizona) seemed to have died down a bit. (Mainly because Arizona now sucks and Vancouver imploded last season.)

No, I'm talking about fans from both teams.

Captain Mittens*

Yet so many fans insist that it's a HUGE rivalry, the biggest in the NHL, that it's bitter and that the teams hate each other.
Can you list all of these fans?

Because I don't know any Kings or Ducks fans that think the Kings and Ducks are the biggest rivalry in the NHL

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Well, it didn't help that Fox Sports did a cooperative crossover telecast using Ducks and Kings broadcasters for each playoff game during the series. I knew the players of both teams are mostly buddies off the ice. There is far more fraternization going on these days then in the past where it was pure hatred for your rivals. C'mon you had fights and beat downs during the pre-game skate back in the day!

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California

Are you exaggerating a bit yourself? I haven't heard anyone make these kind of claims (the bolded). If there are fans that say that, I'm thinking it's a small ignorant minority.

Why would the players hate each other when they're friends? :laugh: #frenemies

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Keeler didn't get the memo, pretty sure he still hates us from his Vancouver days and he played like it on Weds.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

It pains me as well.

I wish there was a rivalry on the ice. Right now they just happen to be two good teams. There wasn't even a single fight over a 7 game series in last years playoffs.

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
The only reason for there to be a rivalry is between fans of teams that, for most of their mutual existence, have sucked. It took until last year to meet in the playoffs. 3 or 4 more years of running into each other when it matters might poison the well. Also, the fact that there are very few "teams" any more and more of a bunch of mercenaries makes it harder to hate a team. You may hate somebody on that team, but the team itself is in such constant flux that it's hard to hate the jersey.

Nosedive

Apr 4, 2014

That is quite the overgeneralization.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I've never considered it a rivalry and to be honest, I don't think the Kings have any rivals. Proximity doesn't equate a rivalry. Sure they've met a couple teams, a couple times in the playoffs over the course of their current core, but that doesn't make a rivalry. A feud more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad