LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yes. That was the highlight for me.

EDIT: added important context to the last 5-8 years of Kings hockey
for sure, when it takes a bit for someone with a letter to buy in, it will take longer for everyone else. I have been critical of Todd, but really the fact he was able to get that implemented is impressive. Anyone who has tried to implement anything without leadership support should appreciate it.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

hahahahaha

so after years and years of arguing 'usage and opponents don't matter' to make cases in favor of Karlsson and ignoring Doughty's deployment

we're now going to correct course and say holy shit what a huge impact that has

nice to see it borne out in data though and would be interested to retroactively apply.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So, does the decision to send down Moverare then recall him hours later use up one of their last two recall options for the year, or was this listed as an emergency recall?

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
So, does the decision to send down Moverare then recall him hours later use up one of their last two recall options for the year, or was this listed as an emergency recall?
It should count. No emergency to speak of.

He and Turcotte have to go back down when Grundstrom comes off LTIR, so nothing to save call ups for anyway.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Seems like on of the Kings starting D has a borderline injury forcing the Moverare recall.

They seem to be waiting until tomorrow to see who will play Cowglry.

I have not liked the recent play of Laferierre and to a lesser degree Byfield.

I would scratch Laffy and would have liked to send him to the AHL but he wasn't their on deadline day,

Maybe they didn't have enough recalls left to finesses it.

Regardless I would go with

Kempe - Kopitar _ Arvidsson

Fiala -Danault - Moore

Byfield _ PLD - Kaliyev

Grundstrom - Lizotte - Lewis

Moverare - Drew (MA may be injured)

Gav - Roy

Englund _ Spence

Rittich ( rest Talbot)

bland

Jul 1, 2004
It should count. No emergency to speak of.

He and Turcotte have to go back down when Grundstrom comes off LTIR, so nothing to save call ups for anyway.
Its just a curious decision given that they still have games on the trip, the savings doesn't seem to have any implications, and god forbid somebody gets dinged up late in the year.

The playoffs seem all but certain, but I imagine that a little slide here with a remarkable run by St Louis or Minnesota could make the last game or two more important than they look to be now. Tempting fate even mildly doesn't seem necessary.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Its just a curious decision given that they still have games on the trip, the savings doesn't seem to have any implications, and god forbid somebody gets dinged up late in the year.

The playoffs seem all but certain, but I imagine that a little slide here with a remarkable run by St Louis or Minnesota could make the last game or two more important than they look to be now. Tempting fate even mildly doesn't seem necessary.
I think it prevents him having to go through waivers when they recall Grundstrom.

Also I don’t think they can send Turcotte down whilst he’s injured. Given he’s day-to-day he’s unlikely going on LTIR, so Grundstrom can’t be activated until he’s cleared to play. I’m pretty sure that is how it works (happy to be corrected).

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Whatever the opposite of GM of the year is, that has to be blake's right?

like there are some GMs that are bad and just never get outof the basement

and then there are GMs that set their team up nicely for the future but completely destroy the franchise in one offseason

How do you go from drafting Byfield/Vilardi/Turcotte and much much more

to lining up Kopitar-PLD-Lizotte-Empty in a must win game

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's funny, right in their faces, and ironic that the best year this 'rebuild' will have had will be the one they were forced to play the kids

but my biggest problem with this whole thing isn't even that directly

it's just the utterly lifeless hockey these guys have been playing since 2018. only the kids bring heart and enthusiasm, a spark, until it's benched out of them

I was just telling someone that last night was an easy game to turn off, you knew which Kings were showing up for the majority of the game and it wouldn't be a fun watch. They're almost always boring, but last night they just had that 'we're just here because we have to be' look. That's the sign of a team that's easy to fold.

At least we'll get a good pick that'll turn into a 5'11" RHD or C we convert to W that we'll bench till he's 25

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Whatever the opposite of GM of the year is, that has to be blake's right?

like there are some GMs that are bad and just never get outof the basement

and then there are GMs that set their team up nicely for the future but completely destroy the franchise in one offseason

How do you go from drafting Byfield/Vilardi/Turcotte and much much more

to lining up Kopitar-PLD-Lizotte-Empty in a must win game

They are literally in the worst spot imaginable for a team in any sport. Not good enough to be a true contender, not bad enough to get the type of draft picks to get to that level and spending a fortune to do it.

The Kings are basically the Kirk Cousins of NHL teams.

And the tides are going to turn quick. There is as of now a a better than 1/3 chance that Celebrini ends up in either SJ or Anaheim. You add him to Carlsson and MacTavish or to Will Smith (or even to Bedard in Chicago) and you start to see these teams really having the high-end pieces where you can see the end of the tunnel. You know the same type of tunnel LA could have been getting ready to exit this summer had Blake not driven the bus off the rebuild cliff 3 years to soon.

Top 5 2023 pick
Byfield
Faber
Clarke
Top 5 2022 pick
Massive amounts of cap room

Would look pretty nice right now, but "How could Blake have known" right?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad