LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Funny when players rag on the King's boring system.. It's like a league-wide meme - sure anyone can play the trap, but its boring and you are going to get called out... like wearing bun huggers vs skivies

bland

Jul 1, 2004
zadorov is such a schmuck.
He's right though. The Kings employ a low-event style of hockey in a league where the fans and players are becoming increasingly conditioned to exprct every night to be a real life video game.

If they were bigger, more aggressive, and younger in the key roles then they might be able to accomplish something notable. But since they aren't those things, yeah, they just kind of linger around and hope the clock runs out.

Its not boring at all, it requires perseverance and skill to beat them. Unfortunately they will most likely wilt under pressure in a first round series. If they were sincere about going for it, man, did they royally screw up building a roster to play this style of game.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Ah, trap hockey. Great for making the playoffs but not beyond the first round.

“Sign me up!” - Rob Blake.

Reactions: tbrown33

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Thomas had a hat trick a pre-season game vs Vegas yet he's rotting in Ontario and just turned 24 and Lewis, who is almost 40, is playing every game.

Where has Lizotte been?
Lizzo has been leaving skidmarks down the ice he has been knocked in his ass so much.

Don’t get me wrong, the guy has a ton of heart and has talent but you can’t make plays off your ass.

It doesn’t matter how good you forcheck , if you don’t have the reach and the other team is not worried about taking a hit from you.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

This was a good interview, Allison was supposedly a giant asshole, but he seems like he has been humbled a bit and become a cool guy as he has aged. I actually randomly watched that Arkansas movie he was involved in, it had a good cast but was kind of meh. I had no idea he was in the entertainment business.

Everyone who mentions Ziggy on Chiclets always says the same thing, how he basically didn't give a crap, but was still the best player on the ice most nights and that his skill was off the charts. I wonder how good Ziggy could have been with a commitment level of a guy like Chelios.

The Bruins were loaded in the late 90's, imagine having 25 year old Allison and 21 year old Thornton. That was just one of the cheapest organizations in all of pro-sports.

Allison looks a lot like Phil Hellmuth with the glasses and hat.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
What does the letter say?
Which letter?
March 4, 2024

Dear Helene,

My apologies for the short delay (only 14 years) in responding to your letter I'm glad that I followed your advice back in 2009 because things took a turn for the better and worked out weil for the Kings.

I was saddened to hear of your departure from the LA Times. You are one of the best sports journalists, and congratulations on an incredible career at the

Timos

sincere

Philip Anschuz

cc: Dan Beckerman

luc kodrame

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

It is a nice touch/gesture from Phil. I am a little curious as to why she censored some of Phil's info, but left hers and her address there plainly unless she moved or something. Not that anything would or should happen, but the internet is the internet...

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
If that line didn't get absolutely decimated by injuries, I think the Dave Taylor era wouldn't be looked at the same way. Though, it's also likely the Kings don't win in 2012 or 2014.
But they still would have gotten Kopitar due to the lottery. Kopitar centering the second with Frolov behind the LAPD line would have been amazing to see.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
But they still would have gotten Kopitar due to the lottery. Kopitar centering the second with Frolov behind the LAPD line would have been amazing to see.
Not necessarily. They likely make the playoffs in the two years before the lottery and get only one ball instead of three.

Also, even if they did get the same pick, are they picking a C with that pick since they've got a 29 year old Jason Allison, a 22 year old Mike Cammalleri, and a 27 year old Eric Belanger? I'm not sure they do.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Not necessarily. They likely make the playoffs in the two years before the lottery and get only one ball instead of three.

Also, even if they did get the same pick, are they picking a C with that pick since they've got a 29 year old Jason Allison, a 22 year old Mike Cammalleri, and a 27 year old Eric Belanger? I'm not sure they do.
You must be fun at parties 🙄

Reactions: go4hockey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He's right though. The Kings employ a low-event style of hockey in a league where the fans and players are becoming increasingly conditioned to exprct every night to be a real life video game.

If they were bigger, more aggressive, and younger in the key roles then they might be able to accomplish something notable. But since they aren't those things, yeah, they just kind of linger around and hope the clock runs out.

Its not boring at all, it requires perseverance and skill to beat them. Unfortunately they will most likely wilt under pressure in a first round series. If they were sincere about going for it, man, did they royally screw up building a roster to play this style of game.

he was also right about the flames playing for themselves instead of as a team...but why say it in the media. He was right about Mackinnon's diet but again why say it.

Schmuck

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I'm liking the whole "controversy" about the 1-3-1

It's good for the team IMO. Gives them something to rally around. Us against the world mentality.
Yea maybe the Kings players get the memo that they are a defensive juggernaut and shutdown McDavid. Would love a good first round sweep to send the Oilers into a teardown offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad