LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
No way McDavid sits out the first round. He'll play injured if necessary, Kings just need to exploit that at every turn. I'm not sure how serious his injury is, Oilers are understandably being vague about it.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I thought the video was pretty honest about the Kings lack of talent.

The Kings are a playoff team even though they don't have a single point per game player. Our leading goal scorer is Trevor Moore, and our goalies are Talbot and Rittch.
Somehow he makes the leap that 1-3-1 is the reason the Kings do well without top talent. There is no evidence of that. They could do better using another system, we have no way of knowing.. My problem with the 1-3-1 is its a conservative mentality that effects how players think the game... attacking the neutral zone however you do it - making that your team emphasis. is in a word, a cowards approach to the game.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Fagemo is ineffective in a bottom-six role, his game just doesn’t have that side to it. Square peg-round hole.

Whom out of the top-six do you propose he replaces?
No one. But, he shouldve been tried while RV was out to see what he could bring. He's never been given a real shot at sticking. Labeling him Frk already is BS. Frk had 80 games over 2 season w Detroit back in 2017-2018. Another data point in the LAK confidence killing approach to development.

Reactions: Mattias

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I feel like anyone in the world should be able to tell you “sit back and let McDavid have time and space to build speed, see the entire ice, and make a choice to do what he wants” is the worst strategy on the planet but here we are about to try it for the third time
“It just works… not in our favor, but still”

We’re gonna see eggheads say “omg kings have a skill issue” as they get their backs blown out by sitting back in the neutral zone while McDavid builds speed uninterrupted

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
No way McDavid sits out the first round. He'll play injured if necessary, Kings just need to exploit that at every turn. I'm not sure how serious his injury is, Oilers are understandably being vague about it.
Is he even hurt? They are probably just resting him after they clinched like Kings are with Kopitar.
They showed him skating on his own doing drills during the Oilers game yesterday and he looked fine.

Reactions: mysterman2

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
McDavid was diagnosed with “died a little” after finding out the Kings were their first round opponent again

Draisaitl could be heard in the background slashing a wall after every whistle

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fagemo is ineffective in a bottom-six role, his game just doesn’t have that side to it. Square peg-round hole.

Whom out of the top-six do you propose he replaces?
IMO, Fagemo isn't really great in the top-six role, shooter's mentality be damned. At the NHL level, he doesn't have a lot of fantastic abilities where he'd be lethal on a regular basis. He doesn't have separation speed or strong puck protection skills to carry a line. He doesn't engage in board battles regularly or have vision with his passes to elevate his linemates. He doesn't shut down the opposition, either through tying them up or effectively blocking passing lanes.

I just don't think, aside from his shot, that he's really grown his game.

Can he improve? Of course. But it's in a way where he'd need to be carried. Byfield would try to set him up a lot and do heavy work. Fiala has the creativity to protect the puck and find him (when he's not doing a no-look pass).

Aside from those two, I just don't see a good fit that can complement his skillset and style to set him up for success.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
If Blake doesn't trade him this summer I just don't think you can look away from his goal scoring and not give him a chance.

It seems very likely Arviddson goes due to salary constraints, and he could be slotted on L3.

No way he replaces Arvidsson, whom I think Blake should resign by gaining salary savings by letting Grundstrom and Lizotte if necessary , go by not resigning them.

Fagemo is still NHL deficient in the area mentioned but he has slowly improved in those categories.

See how this goes and adjust before the trade deadline next season.

PLD - Kopitar - Kempe
Arviddsson- Danault -Moore
Fiala - Byfield - Fagemo
Thomas - Turcotte - Lewis
Kaliyev- Laferriere

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
IMO, Fagemo isn't really great in the top-six role, shooter's mentality be damned. At the NHL level, he doesn't have a lot of fantastic abilities where he'd be lethal on a regular basis. He doesn't have separation speed or strong puck protection skills to carry a line. He doesn't engage in board battles regularly or have vision with his passes to elevate his linemates. He doesn't shut down the opposition, either through tying them up or effectively blocking passing lanes.

Can he improve? Of course. But it's in a way where he'd need to be carried. Byfield would try to set him up a lot and do heavy work. Fiala has the creativity to protect the puck and find him (when he's not doing a no-look pass).

Aside from those two, I just don't see a good fit that can complement his skillset and style to set him up for success.
I just don't get it. Fagemo is a great shooter but the rest of his game is average or below. The Kings already have a better version of Fagemo in Kaliyev and the team won't play him. What makes anyone think that the coaches would play him over others. This organization doesn't like playing the young guns.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I just don't get it. Fagemo is a great shooter but the rest of his game is average or below. The Kings already have a better version of Fagemo in Kaliyev and the team won't play him. What makes anyone think that the coaches would play him over others. This organization doesn't like playing the young guns.

Again with this idiotic lie.....

Reactions: kingsfan28

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I think all signs point to the Kings getting walked in the first round but I've seen stranger things and bigger underdogs win a series. Maybe the mcdavid injury is more serious than being made public and we can get a reduced version of him.

I'm just happy we are finally to the point of no more excuses. Next week we find out if Blake is as awful at his job as we all suspect he is. All slates temporarily wiped clean and nothing left to do is put up or shut up.

Last edited:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

I completely agree.

He has all the skill in the world, but he simply looks like the classic AAAA type player. Tj tynan career path is all I see for him.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The LVIR's got 2 points off the AV's and have 2 weak opponents remaining.
Kings are gonna have to win their last 2 in all likelihood to stay above them.
That last game in Anaheim is haunting...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I haven't watched Fagemo much. How would you compare him to Toffoli when he was playing for the Kings?

,or is there a better comparison?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I haven't watched Fagemo much. How would you compare him to Toffoli when he was playing for the Kings?

,or is there a better comparison?
Toffoli, to me, had better instincts and adapted his style of play to even help the team shorthanded even in juniors. And Toffoli had better hands in tight.

I think he's a less physically engaged Kaliyev with a worse shot technique.

Though that may sound worse than intended. I'm a huge fan of Kaliyev, but I think his confidence is at an all-time low. Kaliyev's variety of shots, when he is on, are very hard to track and can be tough to handle.

I think the biggest quality Fagemo has compared to Kaliyev is his resilience. He's had some disappointments. From being passed over in his first year of draft eligibility to being waived twice, and he has always come back stronger in spite of those setbacks. This is my biggest hope for Fagemo continuing to grow.

There have been comparisons to Frk, which I get. I still think Frk had better technique with his shot though.

That's just me though. I know I've been less high on him than others, so maybe someone who's a bigger fan could give a better comp.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

I've seen a bunch of his goals this season, and the thing that stands out is all the space he has to shoot. There's nobody pressuring him or in the lane to block his shot. The games he's played in the NHL , he struggles to find the same space he has in the AHL. He's a very good AHL player, but as you pointed out, much of it doesn't work at the next level even with a good shot.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I still don't see how everyone reaches these sweeping conclusions about Fagemo without him ever getting a real look.

The criticisms are fair and real but you don't turf the guy without a chance. Even Tynan got one of those, if AAAA is the comp you use. And especially since everything else in his career has been late bloomer/behind schedule.

Guys need to develop in the NHL, too. They learn to create space, use what little they have. Or don't. butyou don't know until you try them. And 8 minutes a game with scrubs doesn't count.

And look I'm even open to the idea that maybe he doesn't become anything at all, but he's earned a serious look...I guess I'm just shocked people are writing him off after two-three nothing-at-all callups.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad