LA Clippers to announce plans for new arena in Inglewood

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Which market? The NY metro, sure, but the Devils do not attempt to market across the river (and they do not have TV carriage in South Jersey although they have rights to the whole state). They're doing just fine in the northern and central New Jersey counties which is their target market, where most of the state's population is located. Admittedly the Devils are an odd case because they cater to a submarket within the much larger market. They certainly don't print money but to call them an afterthought is an overreach as well.

I don't think the Clippers have financial issues either, nor would they in Orange County, but we weren't talking about financial wherewithal. The Devils are doing fine, but even in their own submarket it's debatable whether or not they're the most popular team in their sport.

And you'd wonder if the same thing would happen to the Clippers in Orange County. Despite doing well, there might still be more Lakers fans there.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Clippers would have to have like a dynasty type run to even get near the Lakers anywhere in the country including their home market. But having their own arena isn't about getting a big fanbase, it's about making more money with the fanbase they have.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Where is the demand for a new Clippers arena, if any? Does anyone even remotely care about the Clippers in LA when the Lakers are even semi-competitive?

I view the Clippers as if they're still in San Diego.

At work a few times a year we get offered clippers tix, and they can't give them away.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Which market? The NY metro, sure, but the Devils do not attempt to market across the river (and they do not have TV carriage in South Jersey although they have rights to the whole state). They're doing just fine in the northern and central New Jersey counties which is their target market, where most of the state's population is located. Admittedly the Devils are an odd case because they cater to a submarket within the much larger market. They certainly don't print money but to call them an afterthought is an overreach as well.

New York has THREE substantial markets inside their DMA that on their own would all be in the Top 20 in the US. The city itself plus Westchester and into Connecticut. Then you have Nassau/Suffolk counties on Long Island which can include outer Queens and Brooklyn and finally you have Northern New Jersey.

The Devils lost some fans in Jersey when they moved to Newark as sadly too many people just won't consider going to downtown Newark for anything but they may still watch. But they also picked up fans in Manhattan as PATH and NJ Transit offer affordable options to crossing the Hudson.

I have often wondered if the Ducks would be better off calling themselves the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim as the does the baseball team across the street.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I view the Clippers as if they're still in San Diego.

At work a few times a year we get offered clippers tix, and they can't give them away.

From a legal standpoint the Clippers are the Boston Celtics (1946-1978) and the Celtics today are the former Buffalo Braves.

Balmer threw sports economics out the window when he paid 2 BILLION for the team simply because he wanted a toy. Foley has done the same thing in Las Vegas and now Karmanos will get his payday in Carolina because of Foley.

23 years ago Robert Kraft paid $175M for the Patriots which everybody at the time thought he was insane - how did that work out?

My hometown of Boston has changed drastically in the past 15 years because of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers primarily because he used his parking lots south of downtown Boston as payment to Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch then flipped the land to developers and today the Seaport District rivals the Back Bay. McCourt almost destroyed the Dodgers franchise and yet winds up selling the team for 2 billion and he still controls the parking lots at Dodger Stadium :rant:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
New York has THREE substantial markets inside their DMA that on their own would all be in the Top 20 in the US. The city itself plus Westchester and into Connecticut. Then you have Nassau/Suffolk counties on Long Island which can include outer Queens and Brooklyn and finally you have Northern New Jersey.

The Devils lost some fans in Jersey when they moved to Newark as sadly too many people just won't consider going to downtown Newark for anything but they may still watch. But they also picked up fans in Manhattan as PATH and NJ Transit offer affordable options to crossing the Hudson.

I have often wondered if the Ducks would be better off calling themselves the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim as the does the baseball team across the street.

The main thing that the Clippers would want to consider is how many non sporting events can they get each year?

Leaving Staples opens up 41 regular season home dates, plus pre-season and any post season dates for Staples to host concerts/conventions etc. For big acts, that have high demand like JT/Beyonce/Swift, maybe it's easier for them to do 2 shows in Staples rather than pack up and do Staples and one in the Clippers new arena. All depends when they are touring.

Still have the Great Western Forum that is doing well. Plus, there's the Honda Centre in the OC.

Same thing applies for the NY area with MSG, Barclays, Nassau Coliseum. Can they stomach another 18K facility in Queens?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Laker brand is bigger and better than the Clipper brand. Surprised the lakers brass is that concerned.

They'd have to tear down the Forum and build brand new. Look at what the Chase Centre in SF is going to cost. That would be the expected price tag for a new Forum. Plus, is the location of the Forum ideal for fans vs Staples?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Laker brand is bigger and better than the Clipper brand. Surprised the lakers brass is that concerned.

They'd have to tear down the Forum and build brand new. Look at what the Chase Centre in SF is going to cost. That would be the expected price tag for a new Forum. Plus, is the location of the Forum ideal for fans vs Staples?
Are there average fans that can sit in the lower deck at staples or is it always celebrity's maybe the point for a new arena is to attract working class people for the clippers.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

They could do what Seattle is doing.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle would be cheaper to demolish and start new but that roof has been deemed historic so they have to keep it. Could chop $150 mill off the price tag if they went new instead.

And no where to put that new building that didn't involved a lot of political red tape.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Seattle would be cheaper to demolish and start new but that roof has been deemed historic so they have to keep it. Could chop $150 mill off the price tag if they went new instead.
The Forum is on National Register of Historic Places. So I don't think it can be torn down completely.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Should just play that the Honda Center.

Yes I know it's not that simple.
The Clippers had a chance to move to Anaheim back in 93. The idiot owner Donald Sterling did not want to commute from his home in LA to Anaheim so they stayed at the LA Sports Arena and then Staples Center. Occasionally they would play a couple of games at the Arrowhead Pond back in the mid 90s per season until they moved to Staples Center. I remember going to the Clippers games in Anaheim and they averaged way more fans there than the Sports Arena.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
The Clippers had a chance to move to Anaheim back in 93. The idiot owner Donald Sterling did not want to commute from his home in LA to Anaheim so they stayed at the LA Sports Arena and then Staples Center. Occasionally they would play a couple of games at the Arrowhead Pond back in the mid 90s per season until they moved to Staples Center. I remember going to the Clippers games in Anaheim and they averaged way more fans there than the Sports Arena.

Thanks for the info I didnt know that. It always fascinated me about teams in huge markets with several major sized arenas why certain teams play in their own rather than share with other teams.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Thanks for the info I didnt know that. It always fascinated me about teams in huge markets with several major sized arenas why certain teams play in their own rather than share with other teams.

Paying rent as a tenant and lack of control of an arena sucks, no matter the market... at least in the current sports economy.

If anything, once the old Sports Arena came down for LAFC, there was essentially a reduction in the number of arenas in a growing megalopolis. The LA area is currently underserved. Inglewood is a good business decision on the merits.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Paying rent as a tenant and lack of control of an arena sucks, no matter the market... at least in the current sports economy.

If anything, once the old Sports Arena came down for LAFC, there was essentially a reduction in the number of arenas in a growing megalopolis. The LA area is currently underserved. Inglewood is a good business decision on the merits.
The LA market is also one where there has been no government assistance to pay for new venues. Rams stadium is private as was staples. It’s an investment to build the stadium.

Ideally teams share but they have to both be in the arena at the beginning like them mavericks and stars in Dallas if they have different owners. Some nba teams rent in big is markets like Boston and Philly. Depends on the market and your tv money.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
don't see why the lakers would care about the clippers moving to inglewood. i think its stupid that they share the arena in the first place

the main issue here seems to be MSG owning the forum and wanting that venue to be "the" entertainment venue in inglewood without having to compete with another

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
don't see why the lakers would care about the clippers moving to inglewood. i think its stupid that they share the arena in the first place

the main issue here seems to be MSG owning the forum and wanting that venue to be "the" entertainment venue in inglewood without having to compete with another

The clippers originally were San Diego Clippers before being moved to LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad