LA Clippers to announce plans for new arena in Inglewood

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:facepalm:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-clippers-inglewood-arena-20170614-story.html

The 22 acres for the arena are across the street from the 298-acre site where Rams owner Stan Kroenke is building the stadium as part of a sprawling mixed-use development.

The Rams aren't involved in the Clippers' arena project, according to a person with direct knowledge of the situation, though representatives of Kroenke and the Clippers had multiple discussions about the team joining the Rams’ project that’s scheduled to be completed in 2020 or building on an adjacent parcel.

The agreement between the Clippers-controlled company, Murphy’s Bowl LLC, and Inglewood will run for 36 months with the option for a single six-month extension. That gives the team time to complete lengthy environmental reviews. The city will receive a nonrefundable deposit of $1.5 million to defray costs associated with the effort.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This will be good for the Clippers in that they will be the #1 tenant instead of the #3 tenant but they still will not be embraced in the LA market.

The Clippers missed a huge chance to move to the Pond back in the day and set-up their own identity in Orange County. They used to play 8 games a year at the Pond and many thought it would be logical for them to move their full-time and get out of the LA Sports Arena, but Sterling didn't want to leave LA for ego reasons and took the deal to play at Staples. The Ducks and Angels do well and OC would have embraced the Clips as their own team and removed them from the massive Lakers shadow. There are still plenty of Dodgers and Kings fans in OC, and surely many would have stuck with the Lakers, but they would have for the most part gotten out of the Lakers shadow.

PacificCoast

Jul 25, 2015
This will be good for the Clippers in that they will be the #1 tenant instead of the #3 tenant but they still will not be embraced in the LA market.

The Clippers missed a huge chance to move to the Pond back in the day and set-up their own identity in Orange County. They used to play 8 games a year at the Pond and many thought it would be logical for them to move their full-time and get out of the LA Sports Arena, but Sterling didn't want to leave LA for ego reasons and took the deal to play at Staples. The Ducks and Angels do well and OC would have embraced the Clips as their own team and removed them from the massive Lakers shadow. There are still plenty of Dodgers and Kings fans in OC, and surely many would have stuck with the Lakers, but they would have for the most part gotten out of the Lakers shadow.

Not a fan of Sterling and don't really know what his motivation was, but Staying in LA was and is absolutely the right decision, especially for a franchise in a globally popular and marketable sport like Basketball. To the rest of the world orange county doesn't exist. It's completely anonymous. Reason why Arte Moreno changed the Angels name.

Reactions: varsaku

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The New York Islanders can certainly sympathize.

Arena ownership>tenancy.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If it's done with private money then I don't see the issue with another building in the LA area competing with Staples, Honda Center and the Forum for non sporting events.

AEG wouldn't be too pleased but it would good to see the Clippers not be 3rd fiddle in the building and have something closer to their own identity in the market.

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Greater LA is home to, like, 18 million people. They can support three major arenas easily, that is nearly as many people as the entire state of Florida.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
... and some people complain Phoenix has an arena glut. :D

Greater LA is home to, like, 18 million people. They can support three major arenas easily, that is nearly as many people as the entire state of Florida.
This, I saw somewhere that The Great Western Forum is still one of the busiest arena venues in the world. I know it's been recently renovated, but if The Forum can stay that busy, a new modern arena in Inglewood could probably steal a lot of business to fill out its calendar.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This, I saw somewhere that The Great Western Forum is still one of the busiest arena venues in the world. I know it's been recently renovated, but if The Forum can stay that busy, a new modern arena in Inglewood could probably steal a lot of business to fill out its calendar.

It will be interesting to see if Ballmer finds an arena alliance to sign with. The Forum in Inglewood is already an Oak View Group property. Would Ballmer be able contract enough events without signing with Oak View or AEG (owners of Staples Center) to keep a new arena in Inglewood booked for the majority of the year?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just go away, Clippers. Nobody loves you, and nothing short of moving to Orange County or San Diego will change that.

Problem is is that the population is spread out, while the sports teams (aside from the ones in Anaheim) aren't. If there is a need for another arena, which I don't think there is, it needs to be further away from the others.

It's just The Forum now (unbeknownst to me as a kid in the east, Great Western was a bank). AEG's re-launch of The Forum was honestly rather brilliant...turned it into a year-round concert venue when the other similarly sized arena has too busy of a sports schedule to really function that way. LA kinda needed another NHL/NBA-sized venue to meet the demand...and we got it. A second arena in Inglewood is overkill, even though The Forum isn't a viable sports venue anymore.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This makes sense to me, I never understood why 2 teams share the same arena. The Clippers are the better team right now so it makes sense they go for another arena.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just go away, Clippers. Nobody loves you, and nothing short of moving to Orange County or San Diego will change that.

Problem is is that the population is spread out, while the sports teams (aside from the ones in Anaheim) aren't. If there is a need for another arena, which I don't think there is, it needs to be further away from the others.

It's just The Forum now (unbeknownst to me as a kid in the east, Great Western was a bank). AEG's re-launch of The Forum was honestly rather brilliant...turned it into a year-round concert venue when the other similarly sized arena has too busy of a sports schedule to really function that way. LA kinda needed another NHL/NBA-sized venue to meet the demand...and we got it. A second arena in Inglewood is overkill, even though The Forum isn't a viable sports venue anymore.
Yeah, I realized that it was a bank, but I wanted to distinguish it. Any person who grew up watching Hockey probably affiliates The Forum as where the Habs played. At least I do.

I have to say though. The Forum being called Great Western Forum, has to be one of the best name tie-ins to an arena ever. It just worked.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

The Ducks really don't do " Well". Normally in the bottom ten of attendance. Bad tv numbers. In the shadow of the Kings.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Sounds like the Forum isn't very happy and making some strong actuations. About it being back room deals and not done in public. On mobile so can't link tweets easily.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California

Not really. Orange County is and will always be only popular for Disneyland. Ducks don't draw **** unless a popular team visits Honda. Arte Moreno wishes the Angels were based in LA.

Staying in LA was the right decision and it would've been better if they had their own arena. But you know Sterling would not have done anything.

Abd BigMac, that wasn't very nice. Any comment like that again and you will face a deportation back to Pittsburgh. :D

As for the OP, what's with the facepalm?

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sounds like the Forum isn't very happy and making some strong actuations. About it being back room deals and not done in public. On mobile so can't link tweets easily.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-inglewood-clippers-vote-20170615-story.html

Minutes after Inglewood’s City Council unanimously approved an exclusive negotiating agreement with a Clippers-controlled company on Thursday to explore building a new arena, the Forum assailed the deal.

“Many consider our work to revitalize the Forum to be the catalyst for Inglewood’s recent business success,†the two-paragraph statement said. “Now, it appears the city of Inglewood has been doing a lot of backroom dealing. There may be a path forward, but not without a real public process that is done in the full light of day with the participation of Inglewood’s residents and many other stakeholders.â€

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, I realized that it was a bank, but I wanted to distinguish it. Any person who grew up watching Hockey probably affiliates The Forum as where the Habs played. At least I do.

I have to say though. The Forum being called Great Western Forum, has to be one of the best name tie-ins to an arena ever. It just worked.

I'm old enough to remember the arena in Inglewood being referred to as "The Fabulous Forum", Jack Kent Cooke's building. That's the differentiation between LA and Montreal.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I bet the folks who do the changeovers at the Staples Center will be happy. Clippers one night, Lakers next night, Kings night, concert or whatever, and then back to the NBA/NHL. Repeat until late April/early May at the earliest.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
How much non-sports business is this arena going to get with the Forum just across the street?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

If that's the case, how come some people say the Chargers will have a tough time gaining a fan base in Los Angeles?

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->