OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Id try to get Teheran. He seems like he could have a good year and he usually has a sub 4 ERA and close to 200 innings.

But I agree they need to sign either Keuchel/Ryu as well.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Keuchel is the first of the 'big' names that Anaheim had a chance of signing.

Let's see where Ryu ends up first.
He returns to dodgers is my guess. Don't understand why Keuchel didn't sign with a real team, Whitesox still a few years away from being a .500 team

Its looking like the Angels are modelling themselfs after the 2010 rangers teams that had just hitting and a few average pitchers.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He returns to dodgers is my guess. Don't understand why Keuchel didn't sign with a real team, Whitesox still a few years away from being a .500 team

Its looking like the Angels are modelling themselfs after the 2010 rangers teams that had just hitting and a few average pitchers.

I don't know if they have any other option really at this point.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Oct 18, 2011
angels should never have offered what the Yanks offered Cole, their window isn't now, so is he going to be worth that money in 3 years when MAYBE you're contenders? too risky.

It's hilarious to see people whine about signing Teheran instead of Keuchel guess who's WAR was better last year

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
And now Ryu to the Jays. All I can say is we better add another quality starter before Opening Day (Boyd, Ray, etc.). This starting staff is definitely not good enough the way it is now. I do think our team is better than last year, but still no match for the Astros.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ohtani/Tehran/Bundy/Canning/Pena/Heaney
If they are lucky Canning will have a breakout season. Heaney has turned into a meatballer and can't be trusted to be anything more than the 6th starter.
Barria should be in AAA learning to not suck.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Clevinger & Lindor to the Dodgers. Another pitcher the Angels could have traded for in Clevinger.
Also the Angels drafted Clevinger in 2011, dammit.

Man the Indians are having a firesale: Lindor, Clevinger & Kluber. Wow.
Possibly the WhiteSox will be better than the Indians in 2020

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Get a big time position player and go middling with the pitching again, so far. What the definition of insanity again? I like the Teheran signing, but he's like a #3/4 pitcher. We still don't know how well Ohtani can pitch after a year away from pitching due to his Tommy John surgery.

Angels run scored in 2019 = 769
Angels runs allowed in 2019 = 868

Angels record in 2019 = 72-90 (.444)

So far this off-season, we signed an amazing 3B in Rendon ($245/7 years), a #3/4 pitcher in Teheran, and #5/6 pitcher in Bundy. We still need another starting pitcher (ace, preferably, but there aren't any on the FA market now) and a catcher. We traded away 3B Cozart and 2019 first rounder SS Wilson as a salary dump to save $13 mil to sign a more expensive 3B. The Angels actually had options at 3B with Fletcher available and then use that money on a pitcher.

I'm a bit lost here after owner Moreno said he'd raise the payroll and 3B Rendon getting signed to start the off-season. But that's really it for headliners. I want to believe, but what's transpired doesn't inspire a lot of belief. We've invested more into position players over pitching again. ::: sighs :::

On Halosheaven, they have an article breaking down the expenditures this off-season so far between hitters and pitchers as well as their relative ranking with the league. (Link) Here's just a snippet of info, but I recommend going to the link to read the hitter and pitcher sub-breakdowns.

Hitters overall: $28.3 mil (this year alone). Ranking = 24th in the league.
Pitchers overall: $135 mil (this year alone). Ranking = 1st in the league.

The philosophy looks as though it hasn't changed. We're thin on talent in the pitching department. I don't know if we have anyone good in our system on the cusp of being in The Show for this coming season. This is similar to the Ducks with their defense this season, but far worse. LoL We actually have a top-3, but the Angels have one ace in Ohtani, but recent news coming out is that his return might be delayed.

C'mon, Eppler, do something intriguing to grab a top tier pitcher before the season starts! I want to win!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Get a big time position player and go middling with the pitching again, so far. What the definition of insanity again? I like the Teheran signing, but he's like a #3/4 pitcher. We still don't know how well Ohtani can pitch after a year away from pitching due to his Tommy John surgery.

Angels run scored in 2019 = 769
Angels runs allowed in 2019 = 868

Angels record in 2019 = 72-90 (.444)

So far this off-season, we signed an amazing 3B in Rendon ($245/7 years), a #3/4 pitcher in Teheran, and #5/6 pitcher in Bundy. We still need another starting pitcher (ace, preferably, but there aren't any on the FA market now) and a catcher. We traded away 3B Cozart and 2019 first rounder SS Wilson as a salary dump to save $13 mil to sign a more expensive 3B. The Angels actually had options at 3B with Fletcher available and then use that money on a pitcher.

I'm a bit lost here after owner Moreno said he'd raise the payroll and 3B Rendon getting signed to start the off-season. But that's really it for headliners. I want to believe, but what's transpired doesn't inspire a lot of belief. We've invested more into position players over pitching again. ::: sighs :::

On Halosheaven, they have an article breaking down the expenditures this off-season so far between hitters and pitchers as well as their relative ranking with the league. (Link) Here's just a snippet of info, but I recommend going to the link to read the hitter and pitcher sub-breakdowns.

Hitters overall: $28.3 mil (this year alone). Ranking = 24th in the league.
Pitchers overall: $135 mil (this year alone). Ranking = 1st in the league.

The philosophy looks as though it hasn't changed. We're thin on talent in the pitching department. I don't know if we have anyone good in our system on the cusp of being in The Show for this coming season. This is similar to the Ducks with their defense this season, but far worse. LoL We actually have a top-3, but the Angels have one ace in Ohtani, but recent news coming out is that his return might be delayed.

C'mon, Eppler, do something intriguing to grab a top tier pitcher before the season starts! I want to win!

Don't know how they'll run the lineup but having a guy like Fletcher with a .350 OBP in 2019 at leadoff might work
2B Fletcher
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
3B Rendon
1B StellaArtois
RF Goodwin
LF Upton
Catcher
SS Simmons

Bench: Pujols(DH in games that Ohtani pitches).

Should be good for 900 runs scored. Limiting Pujols, rebound year from Upton + Simmons, healthy Stella Artois and the addition of Rendon. Subtraction of Cozart helps too.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Don't know how they'll run the lineup but having a guy like Fletcher with a .350 OBP in 2019 at leadoff might work
2B Fletcher
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
3B Rendon
1B StellaArtois
RF Goodwin
LF Upton
Catcher
SS Simmons

Bench: Pujols(DH in games that Ohtani pitches).

Should be good for 900 runs scored. Limiting Pujols, rebound year from Upton + Simmons, healthy Stella Artois and the addition of Rendon. Subtraction of Cozart helps too.

Enough for the playoffs? I don't think so...

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Looks like Clevinger is still available via trade, trade with Dodgers didn't happen. Eppler better be on phone with the Cleveland Indians.

Clevinger/Ohtani/Tehran/Canning/Bundy/Pena would be an ok rotation.

If they get Clevinger then Heaney & Barria can move to the Pen, Heaney is so frustrating to watch....his career progression has been he takes one step forward then 5 steps backwards.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Looks like Clevinger is still available via trade, trade with Dodgers didn't happen. Eppler better be on phone with the Cleveland Indians.

Clevinger/Ohtani/Tehran/Canning/Bundy/Pena would be an ok rotation.

If they get Clevinger then Heaney & Barria can move to the Pen, Heaney is so frustrating to watch....his career progression has been he takes one step forward then 5 steps backwards.
No way do you put Pena in the rotation over Heaney

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Good luck getting Clevinger without giving up Adell. Don't think Cleveland are going to gift us a top arm like we did for them a few years ago.

I'd like to see us add one more good arm to the rotation, but going to be hard to add a top arm without giving up our top prospect, especially as teams now we are looking for that one good arm.

Reactions: Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Angels sign catcher Jason Castro to a 1 year deal around 6.85 million. FFS need more pitchers.

Well they better score 10 runs a game.

2B Fletcher
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
3B Rendon
1B LaStella
RF Goodwin
LF Upton
C Castro
SS Simmons

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Except they probably needed a competent catcher as much (or more) than they need pitching.
I guess. They are now solid at every position offensively, if Upton & Simmons rebound they are gonna be laying the smackdown on alot of pitching staffs lol.

Potentially could have 5 players with 30 or more HRs in Trout, Rendon, Upton, LaStella, Ohtani which would mean Ohtani stays healthy enough to play in enough games as a DH and bats 2nd to get enough at bats and for LaStella to stay healthy and Upton to rebound.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Castro is an upgrade over whoever we have at center today. It isn't a big name, but he's a competent defensive/pitcher's catcher. At 32 years old and a one-year deal, it's puts a band-aid at the center position today. He could be a perfect complement with new pitching coach Callaway for our young pitchers. To have a catcher with great pitch framing does help create credibility with the umps for some balls to be called strikes.

Last year, Castro's WAR was 0.7.

Angels' Catchers last year
Stassi = -1.5 WAR
Lucroy = -1.0 WAR
Bemboom = -0.5 WAR
K. Smith = 0.6 WAR

Castro raises the bar a bit.

As for what the Angels have in the pipeline for catchers, we don't have one. We did convert two former first round catchers into OF or 1B players.

I guess I fell into the hype that owner Moreno was going to up the ante in spending this year to help improve the pitching and catching. We lost SP Skaggs and in dire need of pitching. I liked getting an NL MVP finalist at 3B, which we've been searching for a while for a very good one (missed out on Beltre). But I thought we'd be nabbing a top-end pitcher along with 3B Rendon. Tehran would replace Skaggs loss. Bundy is a 5/6 guy that's better than whoever we have today. Ohtani gets back into the line-up as our only ace or ace-in-the-making as he's still recovering form TJ surgery.

Can 3B Rendon, SP Teheran, SP Bundy, C Castro, and SP Ohtani help reduce the run differential from -99 into a positive one? It'll be close. I hope we finally finish over .500, but it's doubtful we're a playoff team. Can we outhit our pitching? That's been the mantra for the past four seasons. What's one more?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Angels are interested in trading for Clevinger according to MLB.com

The Indians haven't been able to trade Clevinger because the price is way too damn high.
Not even Prime Haren netted an Adell or Lux in a trade nor did Cliff Lee from Indians to Phillies or Greinke to Angels from Brewers or Halladay from Jays to Phillies or Greinke to Brewers from Royals.

Indians will eventually have to settle on a lesser price unless some team overpays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad