OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Trout's down years are still better than anyone else.

Almost better. Don't be full of yourself and your one-sided thoughts. I love Trout, but I also don't wear rose colored-glasses. Trout is an amazing, once in a lifetime player. Sometimes, a slight bad year can open a door for a great year for someone else. Remember, Buster Douglas took down Mike Tyson. It's rare it happens, but it happens.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Almost better. Don't be full of yourself and your one-sided thoughts. I love Trout, but I also don't wear rose colored-glasses. Trout is an amazing, once in a lifetime player. Sometimes, a slight bad year can open a door for a great year for someone else. Remember, Buster Douglas took down Mike Tyson. It's rare it happens, but it happens.
I'm a Dodger fan. Not full of myself. Trout is just that good. He's been hurt in MVP voting due to voters who downgrade players on non-playoff teams. Trout's defense and base running haven't gotten enough credit, either.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm a Dodger fan. Not full of myself. Trout is just that good. He's been hurt in MVP voting due to voters who downgrade players on non-playoff teams. Trout's defense and base running haven't gotten enough credit, either.
Plus if Trout played for stacked teams like the Astros, Dodgers etc his numbers would be alot higher, it would be alot harder for teams to simply pitch around him.

Reactions: Deuce22

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Looks like the Halos are staying in town until 2050. Will be purchasing the stadium and land for $325 million. If they aren't renovating the place, keep an eye out on them building a 33,000 stadium on the site of The Grove.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Great news for Anaheim that the Ducks and Angels are committing long term.

Now if they can go back to the Anaheim Angels (since they can't go back to the California Angels), that would be great.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Doubtful the Angels will ever be "Anaheim" with Arte as owner. He likes selling the team as an LA team for ad revenues in the Latin markets. The solace we have is that World Series was won by the Anaheim Angels. But the Angels did start off as the LAA. So it's a great tribute to history. As long as they stay in Anaheim, that's a win.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I've yet to hear a coherent explanation on how calling a team in Anaheim the LA Angels generates more fans, ads, revenue, or more anything else.

To quote Abe Lincoln...

"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Saying that a tail is a leg doesn't make it a leg."

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bundy makes me think of a Strikeout pitcher version of Joe Blanton but they did give up literally nothing for Bundy so there is that.
The best they gave up was the Angels 30th best prospect.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I've yet to hear a coherent explanation on how calling a team in Anaheim the LA Angels generates more fans, ads, revenue, or more anything else.

To quote Abe Lincoln...

"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Saying that a tail is a leg doesn't make it a leg."

Angels owner Arte Moreno, who made his riches selling billboard ads, stated he wanted the name Los Angeles because it was far more recognizable, especially to the Latin Market. Everyone knows Los Angeles, but Anaheim isn't on the same level of identification. Thus, the Latin Market wanting to carry an "LA" team for broadcasting brings in revenue into Moreno's hands.

From wikipedia, City of Anaheim v Angels Baseball LP (link):
In 2003, the team was sold to Arturo "Arte" Moreno. Less than two years later, the team announced it was changing its name to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, an attempt to market the team as being from Southern California—Major League Baseball's second-largest media market—rather than just Orange County. The "of Anaheim" phrase was included to comply with the terms of the 1996 lease. Anaheim city officials immediately denounced the change, characterizing it as a breach of the lease. Likewise, many fans denounced the change, as many Orange County residents consider Orange County to have its own identity separate from Los Angeles.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Angels owner Arte Moreno, who made his riches selling billboard ads, stated he wanted the name Los Angeles because it was far more recognizable, especially to the Latin Market. Everyone knows Los Angeles, but Anaheim isn't on the same level of identification. Thus, the Latin Market wanting to carry an "LA" team for broadcasting brings in revenue into Moreno's hands.

From wikipedia, City of Anaheim v Angels Baseball LP (link):
So?

If you are a fan, you already follow the team, watch ads, and buy products. If you aren't a fan of the team or the sport the name change does not make you one. Ad revenue is all about eyeballs. No new eyeballs were generated by the name change and as such, no sponsor will be paying any more for their ads.

Arte has every right to name the team anything he wants as well as to spread whatever story he wants to accompany the name change. It hardly means he is being honest with his explanation. Wealthy business owners don't get wealthy by publicly telling the world how they plan to make their money.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
They should get Cole & Ryu and call it an offseason. Would also settle for Ryu + Bumgarner or Ryu + Keuchel.
Cole/Ryu/Ohtani/Bundy/Canning/Heaney. Having both Ryu & Ohtani will really pull the Japanese baseball market completely to the Angels which would help financially.

PS anyone thought of starting a Lakers & Clippers thread ? Lakers & Clippers are the best teams in the NBA western conference this year. Finally the NBA is fun again.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
They should get Cole & Ryu and call it an offseason. Would also settle for Ryu + Bumgarner or Ryu + Keuchel.
Cole/Ryu/Ohtani/Bundy/Canning/Heaney. Having both Ryu & Ohtani will really pull the Japanese baseball market completely to the Angels which would help financially.

PS anyone thought of starting a Lakers & Clippers thread ? Lakers & Clippers are the best teams in the NBA western conference this year. Finally the NBA is fun again.
Ryu is Korean but I think Japanese market is secure with Ohtani alone.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Bumgarner has buyers remorse written all over him, his arm is trending down. For 100m (if the rumours are true) I'd be staying well away.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Cole/Ryu/Ohtani/Bundy/Canning/Heaney.

The Cole sweep stake is getting crazier on the fiscal end now that Strasburg just re-signed for $245 mil for seven years. Wheeler signed for $118 mil for five years earlier this winter and that's now considered a steal of a price! Cole projections are getting out of hand here with projections of a minimum of $300 mil for eight years... minimum projection. We need another starter, a catcher, bullpen, and probably third baseman. The Angels have a about $67.5 mil. Cole would usurp $37.5 mil, or half of the available cap space before crossing the tax threshold, at that projected minimum contract.

At halosheaven, the sub-heading of today's article is "It takes real money to buy one’s way out of 5 years of hoe digging."

Angels
YearGMPCTRun ScoredRuns AllowedDiff
2012DiPoto0.54976769968
2013DiPoto0.481733737-4
2014DiPoto0.605773630143
2015DiPoto0.525661675-14
2016Eppler0.457717727-10
2017Eppler0.4947107091
2018Eppler0.494721722-1
2019Eppler0.461769868-99
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Angels are entering year 5 under Eppler's regime. Pitching wasn't a priority under Eppler compared to his predecessor. It is difficult to dispute the productions for the past four seasons and conflate that with the gung ho attitude to nab the best free agent pitcher available on the market at all cost this winter. Trout, Simba, Ohtani, and J-up headline the Angels... oh, and Pujols. All that offense over the course of four seasons hasn't harvested a season over .500, which is the first step towards a playoff opportunity. The Angels do not possess a contingent of top level pitching prospects knocking at their door, which is why there's a necessity to nab more than one top-level starting caliber pitching (and why the comments above me are also mentioning more than one top-level starting pitching).

The course correction will be expensive. Pujols' albatross contract will end after the 2021 season, carrying a luxury tax salary of $24 mil (but earning $29 mil this coming season and $30 mil the following season thereafter). If owner Arte doesn't go over the luxury tax for the next couple of seasons, then the Angels would have put most of their load on Cole and spend a pittance to address the many other issues plaguing the team.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The reason the team was in the position it was for the last 4 years was because of Dipoto. Sort of like how the Ducks cap situation was f***ed for years after Burke left.

The recent Angels teams were a result of Dipoto's team building, or lack thereof... sort of how the '07 Ducks were largely built by Brian Murray, with Burke putting on the finishing touches. The difference between Burke and Dipoto was Burke got us a championship.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
We got very unlucky that the Yankees, of all teams, were the ones we were bidding against. Cole is exactly what we needed, but that contract is pretty insane. Hopefully we can snag a couple of the remaining quality starters out there, and maybe even Rendon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad