OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
As a Dodger fan, this whole DiPoto vs. Eppler thing baffles me. DiPoto was forced out by Scoiscia because he was trying to be more progressive and Scoiscia was the baseball version of Randy Carlyle. That was on Arte for choosing Big Mike in that power struggle. Now Eppler is here. IMO he has made some good moves and is trying to move the Angels in the right direction. The fear of losing Trout is legit, but panicking and signing a bunch more expensive free agents so Trout will (maybe) stay isn't the way to go. Building a base of talent is the way to long term success and I think that's what Eppler is trying to do.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Too bad Shoemaker is in Toronto because our idiot GM would rather give proven douchebag and locker room cancer Matt Harvey $14 million instead of giving Shoe $4.5.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Probably the only better catcher still on the market was Grandal, but I'm sure he was commanding a ton of money, and after what he did in the postseason I was skeptical on adding him anyway (his career postseason numbers are disgustingly, historically bad). Lucroy can't hit much anymore, but I trust him to call a good game at least. Not a sexy signing, but I don't mind it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Like who? The only other option right now is Grandal, who will cost at least 5x as much. I would've loved Ramos, but that's not an option anymore.
Ramos, Suzuki, Grandal were all options at the beginning and would have been better

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
As a Dodger fan, this whole DiPoto vs. Eppler thing baffles me. DiPoto was forced out by Scoiscia because he was trying to be more progressive and Scoiscia was the baseball version of Randy Carlyle. That was on Arte for choosing Big Mike in that power struggle. Now Eppler is here. IMO he has made some good moves and is trying to move the Angels in the right direction. The fear of losing Trout is legit, but panicking and signing a bunch more expensive free agents so Trout will (maybe) stay isn't the way to go. Building a base of talent is the way to long term success and I think that's what Eppler is trying to do.

I recently thought about this: Why would Trout re-sign with the Angels if they make the playoffs in his final contract year there after they sold the whole farm to get there & then they crash & burn after he re-signs, that would be a horrible investment for Trouts career & would end up making him wait even longer for a quality playoff run. Perhaps if he put in his contract that he can opt out in the 1st 2 years.

It would be wise for Trout to wait & see that the Angels are gonna be built for long term success if he's going to be there another 10 years, he's gonna want to see the playoffs every year instead of seeing them throw it all away for 1 year & miss the playoffs ever year after he re-signs.

Reactions: Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I hate the Lucroy signing btw. No GM is perfect.

I'd like to see them sign that Japanese pitcher, kunichigi or however its spelled.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

That's an odd comment.

Eppler's made a lot of good moves on players. Simba, Upton, and Ohtani. Those three paired with Trout should produce.

And here's where the rubber meets the road. The team production under Eppler hasn't produced a winning program. For the past three seasons it's been sub .500 teams. In DiPoto's tenure, the team has been under .500 once in his four year stint here.

How DiPoto was building a base of talent throughout the system and the way Eppler's building throughout the system differ. DiPoto's path has been able to build the base while keeping the MLB competitive. Eppler's path is building the base after trading away some of that farm base to net Simba, Upton, etc...

Even though I do point out the flaws in Eppler's path, it's still a good path. The problem is Pujols and Arte. Remove Pujols' salary and Eppler can do more at the MLB level. Since we can't move Pujols' salary, then Arte needs to open up his wallet to cover those lost monies. So here's the crux, Eppler is having a difficult time re-building on the fly while being hampered down by an albatross contract in Pujols. Whereas DiPoto, under the similar or worse constraints, excelled at re-building on the fly. This is where you lack context and are disingenuous. You're not giving any credit to DiPoto building a base of talent to long term success as his MLB teams have been succeeding. Has Eppler has a single season over .500 for the past three years? No. Did you know the Angels were over .500 before Eppler inherited them? Did you know the Angels won the AL West two years before Eppler inherited them? Why do people who chime into the conversation OMIT these facts?

Signing a competent Ace or having a couple of them on the roster can go a long way to retain Trout. But at this rate, I think Arte's checkbook comes first, then the team. Eppler's path looks fine provided there's ample salary. Eppler's coming from the Yankees organization, where they blow their budget often. The last year Eppler worked for the Yanks was 2015 and their budget was $222 mil. The Angels' current payroll is at $140 mil. Pujols' contract ends in 2021. Trout and Simmons' contracts end in 2020. Can the Angels be competitive in the next two years?

If Trout leaves, then GM Eppler would be the reason why he wasn't retained. Then the conversations about Eppler being great today is perpetually moot. Can loyalty trump competitiveness? I think Trout can be that guy, but I can also see Trout leaving for better pastures that are perennial playoffs contenders. I want Eppler to succeed to increase the chances of Trout staying, but Eppler's path hasn't looked good and the path for 2019 and 2020 looks grim.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I recently thought about this: Why would Trout re-sign with the Angels if they make the playoffs in his final contract year there after they sold the whole farm to get there & then they crash & burn after he re-signs, that would be a horrible investment for Trouts career & would end up making him wait even longer for a quality playoff run. Perhaps if he put in his contract that he can opt out in the 1st 2 years.

It would be wise for Trout to wait & see that the Angels are gonna be built for long term success if he's going to be there another 10 years, he's gonna want to see the playoffs every year instead of seeing them throw it all away for 1 year & miss the playoffs ever year after he re-signs.

I don't comprehend this "sold the whole farm" idea. Eppler already did most of that to acquire players. Such players like SS Simmons and OF Upton. And with budget constraints, he really can't trade his top prospects b/c they're part of his "future" path. This is more or less it for the next two years. Only pitcher on the farm of note is Canning. His ETA is 2019, but I'm thinking it's 2020. The only chip he can trade is SS Simmons to bring in a top end pitcher and other prospects. The team will get Ohtani back pitching in 2020 along with Canning. So that's a plus.

I agree with you to wait and see for Trout, but the projections seem easy to identify.

If we're talking about playoffs, then we're talking about making the 2nd wild card spot b/c we won't win the AL West with Houston in our division and either Boston or the Yanks will get one wild card spot. Eppler can do his math to project which wildcard teams he needs to surpass. Eppler doesn't have to sell the farm to get the 2nd WC spot in 2020. He just needs better pitching to go along with Ohtani and Canning (provided Canning can make that jump). OF Jo Adell's and Brandon Marsh's ETAs are also 2020. There's a lot of hope on 2020 to go right for Trout to want to stay. Remember, SS Simmons contract ends in 2020 as well with Trouts.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Yeah, Trout will have won no playoff games but he’ll of course choose to stay with a losing organization vs a winner because we have Jo Adell, Griffin Canning, and Luis Rengifo. Clearly that’ll make him happy!

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
That's an odd comment.

Eppler's made a lot of good moves on players. Simba, Upton, and Ohtani. Those three paired with Trout should produce.

And here's where the rubber meets the road. The team production under Eppler hasn't produced a winning program. For the past three seasons it's been sub .500 teams. In DiPoto's tenure, the team has been under .500 once in his four year stint here.

How DiPoto was building a base of talent throughout the system and the way Eppler's building throughout the system differ. DiPoto's path has been able to build the base while keeping the MLB competitive. Eppler's path is building the base after trading away some of that farm base to net Simba, Upton, etc...

Even though I do point out the flaws in Eppler's path, it's still a good path. The problem is Pujols and Arte. Remove Pujols' salary and Eppler can do more at the MLB level. Since we can't move Pujols' salary, then Arte needs to open up his wallet to cover those lost monies. So here's the crux, Eppler is having a difficult time re-building on the fly while being hampered down by an albatross contract in Pujols. Whereas DiPoto, under the similar or worse constraints, excelled at re-building on the fly. This is where you lack context and are disingenuous. You're not giving any credit to DiPoto building a base of talent to long term success as his MLB teams have been succeeding. Has Eppler has a single season over .500 for the past three years? No. Did you know the Angels were over .500 before Eppler inherited them? Did you know the Angels won the AL West two years before Eppler inherited them? Why do people who chime into the conversation OMIT these facts?

Signing a competent Ace or having a couple of them on the roster can go a long way to retain Trout. But at this rate, I think Arte's checkbook comes first, then the team. Eppler's path looks fine provided there's ample salary. Eppler's coming from the Yankees organization, where they blow their budget often. The last year Eppler worked for the Yanks was 2015 and their budget was $222 mil. The Angels' current payroll is at $140 mil. Pujols' contract ends in 2021. Trout and Simmons' contracts end in 2020. Can the Angels be competitive in the next two years?

If Trout leaves, then GM Eppler would be the reason why he wasn't retained. Then the conversations about Eppler being great today is perpetually moot. Can loyalty trump competitiveness? I think Trout can be that guy, but I can also see Trout leaving for better pastures that are perennial playoffs contenders. I want Eppler to succeed to increase the chances of Trout staying, but Eppler's path hasn't looked good and the path for 2019 and 2020 looks grim.

Where did I not give DiPoto credit? I don't even care. I'm a Dodger fan. DiPoto was fine, but got muscled out by Scoiscia. I just don't understand the Angel fan infighting. DiPoto is gone, now in Seattle. Who cares if he was better than Eppler? Your owner (and manager) forced him out. From the outside looking in I think Eppler is trying to build a long term model by avoiding the mistakes this franchise has made in the past (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Wilson, etc.) He is rebuilding a dead farm system and has made some key acquisitions without tying up huge money (except for Upton). Move on, DiPoto isn't coming back.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2018-12-29_13-54-52.jpeg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Where did I not give DiPoto credit? I don't even care. I'm a Dodger fan. DiPoto was fine, but got muscled out by Scoiscia. I just don't understand the Angel fan infighting. DiPoto is gone, now in Seattle. Who cares if he was better than Eppler? Your owner (and manager) forced him out. From the outside looking in I think Eppler is trying to build a long term model by avoiding the mistakes this franchise has made in the past (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Wilson, etc.) He is rebuilding a dead farm system and has made some key acquisitions without tying up huge money (except for Upton). Move on, DiPoto isn't coming back.

This is comical. A non-Angels fan telling an Angels fan what happened in Angel land. LoL

Anyhow, DiPoto quit halfway through the season when he realized the power structure wouldn't change. DiPoto wasn't forced out. Know your facts... oh wait, you're not an Angels fan and you don't have pertinent information. DiPoto quitting halfway through the season put the Angels org on blast and Arte learned his lesson as well as made Sosh compliant (he agreed to a six-man rotation!).

"From the outside looking in I think Eppler is trying to build a long term model by avoiding the mistakes this franchise has made in the past (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Wilson, etc.) "

Blink, blink. You know Pujols and Hamilton were the owner's mistakes, right? The failure of Hamilton made sure Arte didn't intervene again. Arte flew out to both Pujols and Hamilton. Arte cost the Angels two consecutive first round selections. This is what helps drive down the farm talent. As for Wilson, he was a part of that 2014 Angels season that won the AL West. Wilson wasn't a bad signing as he didn't cost a first round pick.

As for the farm team, again, Arte removed two consecutive first round selections from DiPoto in 2012 (Pujols) and 2013 (Hamilton). In 2012, Dipoto signed Wilson. During 2012, he traded for Greinke and wanted to retain Greinke. Greinke is a pitcher, in case you didn't know and he did pitch for the Dodgers (jus' saying). DiPoto has been collecting arms for a while at the MLB and farm level. Skaggs, Heaney, and Tropeano remain on the team still going into 2019... DiPoto left in 2015. Now, DiPoto also drafted a lot of arms. Two arms were sent to Atlanta for SS Simmons (Newcomb being one of those arms). Two arms were traded for OF Upton.

But your fascination of what Eppler's doing is astounding b/c you lack all context. For the past three years, the Angels have been sub .500. Full Stop. Do you understand what that means? Now, lets add more context. The previous GM (DiPoto) had three out of his four seasons above .500, including winning the AL West in 2014. Eppler took over in 2016, so one year removed from the playoffs. Oh... now let's add another layer of context. DiPoto spent three seasons in Seattle. In those three yeras, DiPoto's teams have been above .500 two out of the three seasons.

How long does it take Eppler to make his MLB team an above .500 team which has had Trout and Simmons for the past three seasons? Trout, Simmons, and Upton for the past two seasons? Trout, Simmons, Upton, and Ohtani for the past season?

He is rebuilding a dead farm system and has made some key acquisitions without tying up huge money (except for Upton). Move on, DiPoto isn't coming back.

Again, you're quite oblivious of how the farm system got there. I dunno how many times I have to explain losing two consecutive first round selections b/c of the owner, but there's that. DiPoto's first 1st round selection was Newcomb. There wasn't a lot of talent in the system when DiPoto got here either. LoL Now as for money, Owner Moreno imposed financial restraints after botching up Hamilton. Which means DiPoto was also under those same constraints as Eppler.

You're being quite ignorant and obtuse in not accepting information. I'm an Angels fan first. I want Eppler to succeed. He hasn't. What part of three sub .500 seasons do you not comprehend as a baseball fan? You can't make it any easier than that to reflect the GM isn't helping out his team. Now, I also added a caveat that if owner Arte would open his wallet, then Eppler's vision would probably work faster as I like what Eppler was doing (until I realized we've been sub .500 all three seasons under him).

Maybe you should only stick to Dodger conversations since you're lacking complete knowledge and seem to believe three consecutive sub .500 seasons is a mark of success for a GM as well as needs more time to his plan to come to fruition. Me... I want Eppler to have another year and I want Arte to open up that wallet! Right now, things aren't looking so bright to rely on 4/5 starting one-year stopgap pitchers to save the season while losing your top-2 starters in Ohtani and Richards. FA Kikuchi will cost money, but I hope Arte is in the run for him and spends money on a true 1/2 pitcher signed for 4-5 years.

I'll re-iterate this: you're lacking complete knowledge and seem to believe three consecutive sub .500 seasons is a mark of success for a GM.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This is comical. A non-Angels fan telling an Angels fan what happened in Angel land. LoL

Anyhow, DiPoto quit halfway through the season when he realized the power structure wouldn't change. DiPoto wasn't forced out. Know your facts... oh wait, you're not an Angels fan and you don't have pertinent information. DiPoto quitting halfway through the season put the Angels org on blast and Arte learned his lesson as well as made Sosh compliant (he agreed to a six-man rotation!).

"From the outside looking in I think Eppler is trying to build a long term model by avoiding the mistakes this franchise has made in the past (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Wilson, etc.) "

Blink, blink. You know Pujols and Hamilton were the owner's mistakes, right? The failure of Hamilton made sure Arte didn't intervene again. Arte flew out to both Pujols and Hamilton. Arte cost the Angels two consecutive first round selections. This is what helps drive down the farm talent. As for Wilson, he was a part of that 2014 Angels season that won the AL West. Wilson wasn't a bad signing as he didn't cost a first round pick.

As for the farm team, again, Arte removed two consecutive first round selections from DiPoto in 2012 (Pujols) and 2013 (Hamilton). In 2012, Dipoto signed Wilson. During 2012, he traded for Greinke and wanted to retain Greinke. Greinke is a pitcher, in case you didn't know and he did pitch for the Dodgers (jus' saying). DiPoto has been collecting arms for a while at the MLB and farm level. Skaggs, Heaney, and Tropeano remain on the team still going into 2019... DiPoto left in 2015. Now, DiPoto also drafted a lot of arms. Two arms were sent to Atlanta for SS Simmons (Newcomb being one of those arms). Two arms were traded for OF Upton.

But your fascination of what Eppler's doing is astounding b/c you lack all context. For the past three years, the Angels have been sub .500. Full Stop. Do you understand what that means? Now, lets add more context. The previous GM (DiPoto) had three out of his four seasons above .500, including winning the AL West in 2014. Eppler took over in 2016, so one year removed from the playoffs. Oh... now let's add another layer of context. DiPoto spent three seasons in Seattle. In those three yeras, DiPoto's teams have been above .500 two out of the three seasons.

How long does it take Eppler to make his MLB team an above .500 team which has had Trout and Simmons for the past three seasons? Trout, Simmons, and Upton for the past two seasons? Trout, Simmons, Upton, and Ohtani for the past season?

Again, you're quite oblivious of how the farm system got there. I dunno how many times I have to explain losing two consecutive first round selections b/c of the owner, but there's that. DiPoto's first 1st round selection was Newcomb. There wasn't a lot of talent in the system when DiPoto got here either. LoL Now as for money, Owner Moreno imposed financial restraints after botching up Hamilton. Which means DiPoto was also under those same constraints as Eppler.

You're being quite ignorant and obtuse in not accepting information. I'm an Angels fan first. I want Eppler to succeed. He hasn't. What part of three sub .500 seasons do you not comprehend as a baseball fan? You can't make it any easier than that to reflect the GM isn't helping out his team. Now, I also added a caveat that if owner Arte would open his wallet, then Eppler's vision would probably work faster as I like what Eppler was doing (until I realized we've been sub .500 all three seasons under him).

Maybe you should only stick to Dodger conversations since you're lacking complete knowledge and seem to believe three consecutive sub .500 seasons is a mark of success for a GM as well as needs more time to his plan to come to fruition. Me... I want Eppler to have another year and I want Arte to open up that wallet! Right now, things aren't looking so bright to rely on 4/5 starting one-year stopgap pitchers to save the season while losing your top-2 starters in Ohtani and Richards. FA Kikuchi will cost money, but I hope Arte is in the run for him and spends money on a true 1/2 pitcher signed for 4-5 years.

I'll re-iterate this: you're lacking complete knowledge and seem to believe three consecutive sub .500 seasons is a mark of success for a GM.
Ausmus seems like the perfect fit for Eppler, took the Tigers who had Miggy, Kinsler, and for most of the year, J.D., Verlander, Wilson, Upton, and Avila to the worst record in the MLB, while in Gardenhire’s first year, he had none of them and still finished with the same record (and third in their division)! I’m beginning to think Angels fans just don’t pay attention to what’s really going on and only assume “well we have the flashy names now, we must be a good team!” The team is not good nor is it anywhere close to being good, and the farm is nowhere near as good as Angels fans want to pretend it is. If Eppler truly wants to build up the farm, it’s time to trade Trout, Simmons, Upton, Heaney, and Skaggs, (with Harvey, Cahill, and Lucroy at the deadline) to build up an actual top 5 farm. If he wants to win with Trout, it’s time to sign or trade for some actual difference makers to build a roster that can compete with the top teams in the AL. What he absolutely CANNOT afford to do is sign players who do not improve the team in anyway and pretend the roster can compete and that Trout will extend with a team that is going nowhere. Else we are looking at another 10 years with no playoff wins.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Wow, you forgot to read the second sentence of my post. I don't care about the Angels, and you obviously care way too much. Since I'm hereby disqualified for having an Angel opinion, I'll defer to your genius.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Can't wait until we have the same holes next offseason because our asshat GM is just dumpster diving and grabbing washed up players to fill in these roles on one year deals. Trout deserves better than this nightmare.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Great to hear you feel “complete” with a 85 win team when we’re trying to convince Trout to stay long term. Just trade him if you think this roster is acceptable, but wait! You’re too much of a bitch to do that too. Between this insufferable GM destroying our franchise, plus the thought of moving since Arte doesn’t care about Anaheim, it feels really f***ing shitty to be an Angels fan right now.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think it makes sense...long Beach is an up and coming area. However, Arte is going to piss a lot of people off. First he changes the name. Now he wants to move them out of OC. They better start winning consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad