Rumor: LA and their 2nd overall pick

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Byfield vs Stutzle becoming a debate pisses me off even more about the lottery. We not only got pushed out 3 spots we got pushed out of both tiers. At least if got 3rd pick we would still be comparably drafting 2nd overall talent. But no we had to get pushed out the door of the whole party and splash in the mud.

I hope we get lucky and our 4th overall becomes a top 3 pick in redrafts in like 5 years.
I choose optimism
upload_2020-8-13_14-33-15.png

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
People rip on him because his WJC-20 performance was not good, but look at Lafreniere a year ago... Also did not have a good WJC-20 tournament... People are forgetting that Lafreniere is almost a year older...

Yzerman said the same thing. As in, when comparing the WJC performance he pointed out how Byfield had limited minutes and was a year younger.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Exactly. The Draft itself is a lottery. Barring clear-cut generational talent, it is incredibly hard to predict how 18 year olds will turn out. Sometimes your #4 pick becomes the third best offensive player of his era. Sometimes he busts hard. Let's not get all doom and gloom just yet.

I think folks wouldn't be so down on drafting 4th if we didn't need another top center so bad. Picking 4th looks like the best talent is likely to be pretty much anything but a center - at least by the time the player hits the NHL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Hearing rumors that LA is looking to draft Stutzle over Byfield. For us this won't change a thing (since Ottawa 100% is gonna pick Byfield), but very interesting that Byfield is not a bonafide 2nd overall pick.

Take a look at this, my dude.
Kings assistant Marco Sturm has the inside scoop on top prospect Tim Stutzle

I'm also in the camp that's not sold on Byfield being a bonafide #1 center. Over the last 2 weeks I've been working from home which has given me a lot of time to f*** about and watch hockey stuff. I came across a video of Byfield's season highlights showing every point he scored, and a good 75% (at least) were just rushes beginning from turnovers at his blueline rather than offensive zone possession. Great speed, but he's not going to see 2 on 1's nearly as often in the NHL as he does in the OHL. (Unless he's going to be playing against Detroit. :help:)

Reactions: avssuc

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

I'm also in the camp that's not sold on Byfield being a bonafide #1 center. Over the last 2 weeks I've been working from home which has given me a lot of time to f*** about and watch hockey stuff. I came across a video of Byfield's season highlights showing every point he scored, and a good 75% (at least) were just rushes beginning from turnovers at his blueline rather than offensive zone possession. Great speed, but he's not going to see 2 on 1's nearly as often in the NHL as he does in the OHL. (Unless he's going to be playing against Detroit. :help:)
Mysak >>> Byfield

-WJC 2020

*Sample size excludes age/size/opportunity/truculence*

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Watch Perlini's NHL highlights, you'd think he was a breakaway machine. It's just the nature of highlights to show breakaways. I'm sure Helm's career highlights include the 5% of breakaways that he actually has converted.

I don't think there's any bust potential with Byfield unless he gets injured. Worst case scenario, he gets converted to a winger, and he'd still play on the top line. Who wouldn't want that?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really bad call by LA if true. Turcotte and Byfield down the middle would lead to multiple ships at some point in my opinion.

Makes me wonder if they are dumb enough to believe in Vilardi down the middle with Stutzle on his wing. It would help Vilardi tremendously to have that kind of pace flanking him. I still would rather try developing Stutzle down the middle. Is interesting though to take a positional slash when LA already has one in their pipeline. They can just answer their top 6 C with Byfield and age Kopitar into a high leverage 3rd line guy... Really don't get the logic.

But now I hope Ottawa screws it up too. Because Byfield in our division is not a good development for me.

Byfield will be the best player from this draft in my opinion.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Watch Perlini's NHL highlights, you'd think he was a breakaway machine. It's just the nature of highlights to show breakaways. I'm sure Helm's career highlights include the 5% of breakaways that he actually has converted.

I don't think there's any bust potential with Byfield unless he gets injured. Worst case scenario, he gets converted to a winger, and he'd still play on the top line. Who wouldn't want that?

I've watched several whole sudbury games now, and it was a case of he(Byfield) either gets a point while on the rush or the puck ends up in the corner and he loses it or gets knocked on his ass by a 5'11" defenseman while skating with his head down. My feeling is the exact opposite as you; I think he has high bust potential relative to his position. I think his size and speed will make him a player for a time, but there's very little east-west to his game, next to no sandpaper in his game for a guy that's as big as he is, and players in the NHL hit a hell of a lot harder than they do in the OHL. I think he's going to have a lot longer learning curve than any of the other guys in the top 5 this year.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I've watched several whole sudbury games now, and it was a case of he(Byfield) either gets a point while on the rush or the puck ends up in the corner and he loses it or gets knocked on his ass by a 5'11" defenseman while skating with his head down. My feeling is the exact opposite as you; I think he has high bust potential relative to his position. I think his size and speed will make him a player for a time, but there's very little east-west to his game, next to no sandpaper in his game for a guy that's as big as he is, and players in the NHL hit a hell of a lot harder than they do in the OHL. I think he's going to have a lot longer learning curve than any of the other guys in the top 5 this year.
Honestly I'm trying to process that and all I can think about is: damn Kronwall was pretty awesome, a decade ago.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Honestly I'm trying to process that and all I can think about is: damn Kronwall was pretty awesome, a decade ago.

If we get Brandt Clarke next year I think you'll be pretty happy. In his rookie season he made Byfield look like an amateur. Sadly, he ended the game with a headshot against Byfield but prior to that Clarke looked phenomenal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Bust potential? I have a hard time seeing him not being at least a middle 6 center. I think he has a high floor and a pretty high ceiling as well.

Not sure what you consider a bust, but I don’t know how realistically someone could have a higher floor for a guy ranked 2-4. The kid checks so many boxes.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Bust potential? I have a hard time seeing him not being at least a middle 6 center. I think he has a high floor and a pretty high ceiling as well.

Not sure what you consider a bust, but I don’t know how realistically someone could have a higher floor for a guy ranked 2-4. The kid checks so many boxes.

You can have a sky high ceiling and a middling to low floor. I think Byfield is one of those guys. I don't think he'll bust outright and not make it, but I also don't think he's going to be a true number one. Likely the kind of guy who has a couple of prime years as a good 2c/average 1c with the rest being an average to below average 2c who begins and ends his career as a 3c. Like I said, his learning curve is going to be a little more difficult than someone like Lafreniere or Perfetti.

In the Quinton Byfield thread on the prospects forum one of the posters said his high end is Eric Staal with a low end of Jordan Staal. I think that's way more accurate projection for Byfield than the ridiculous Malkin comparisons. I'd take Eric Staal with a top 3 pick any day of the week. I don't on Jordan Staal.

Reactions: avssuc

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can have a sky high ceiling and a middling to low floor. I think Byfield is one of those guys. I don't think he'll bust outright and not make it, but I also don't think he's going to be a true number one. Likely the kind of guy who has a couple of prime years as a good 2c/average 1c with the rest being an average to below average 2c who begins and ends his career as a 3c. Like I said, his learning curve is going to be a little more difficult than someone like Lafreniere or Perfetti.

In the Quinton Byfield thread on the prospects forum one of the posters said his high end is Eric Staal with a low end of Jordan Staal. I think that's way more accurate projection for Byfield than the ridiculous Malkin comparisons. I'd take Eric Staal with a top 3 pick any day of the week. I don't on Jordan Staal.

If you don’t feel good about his floor, I can’t even imagine what you would think about the floor of Rossi, Perfetti, or Raymond.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I would keep him in junior for a year. But it is hilarious to me that you can be a pro Rossi guy and talk about how much stronger the players are at the next level and how hard they hit. Byfield actually has the ability to be one of those and is nowhere near physically developed. He doesn't even turn 18 for six more days.

He has elite skating on a 6'4" frame. Not good skating, elite skating... He has great hands, I have seen him pick apart teams on multiple levels. He scores a lot in transition because he easily gets into transition, this is because of how explosive he is as a skater, his first few steps are fast and his top gear is exceptional, the guys at the next level don't skate like him by and large either. There are several players like that in the NHL in terms of scoring, most of those guys get more physical over time too. He is armed with an elite shot, humongous reach. His skill set translates up, it is what you look for. The player you just kind of put out there as his floor is Athanasiou and he hasn't had near the issues you saw with Athanasiou in junior or the GTA for that matter. I think his real floor is a very good #2C. I have seen Byfield be physical by the way, I think he understands he will be penalized for that because of how he has grown up being larger than everyone. I do think his bigger years are a couple years out though. I think he is going to be a monster around age 20 or 21. I would put him back in the OHL though next year and if you're the Wings there is no penalty in doing so. I think he can develop more there.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He isn't compared to the Staal brothers because he is a better passer and skater.

We will see, Jordan Staal outplayed Crosby in our Cup series loss. But he always had questionable offense, that isn't really something people think on Byfield. But we shall see, we all have opinions on these guys. I am most confident on Byfield of anybody in the draft in terms of I see a franchise cornerstone superstar when I watch him play. The Malkin stuff is more down to how unstoppable they can be.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If you don’t feel good about his floor, I can’t even imagine what you would think about the floor of Rossi, Perfetti, or Raymond.

Almost all prospects have a chance of busting. And saying Byfield's floor as a pro is a 3c isn't really a slight against the guy.

As for the other prospects
Raymond is a guy that's either going to be a scorer or bust. In my opinion he's the single biggest gamble in the top 10.
Perfetti is someone I see becoming a good to great 1st line winger or a good to great 2nd line center. I'd say he's got about a 50/50 chance at panning out in either direction. His skating, stickhandling and play style remind me a bit of Jordan Eberle.
Rossi is a player I'm higher on than most people on the wings' board. I think he's going to make it as a 1/2c or wing once he improves his top speed. I'd say his floor is as a very sound defensively 2/3c.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Almost all prospects have a chance of busting. And saying Byfield's floor as a pro is a 3c isn't really a slight against the guy.

As for the other prospects
Raymond is a guy that's either going to be a scorer or bust. In my opinion he's the single biggest gamble in the top 10.
Perfetti is someone I see becoming a good to great 1st line winger or a good to great 2nd line center. I'd say he's got about a 50/50 chance at panning out in either direction. His skating, stickhandling and play style remind me a bit of Jordan Eberle.
Rossi is a player I'm higher on than most people on the wings' board. I think he's going to make it as a 1/2c or wing once he improves his top speed. I'd say his floor is as a very sound defensively 2/3c.

So recap:

Byfield likely is nothing more than an average 1C or a good 2C, with a floor of a 3C

Rossi is going to be a good 1C or 2C, with a floor of a fringe 2C.

I learned today that Rossi has a higher ceiling and a higher floor than Byfield. How is he not going to go #1 overall..

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I think folks wouldn't be so down on drafting 4th if we didn't need another top center so bad. Picking 4th looks like the best talent is likely to be pretty much anything but a center - at least by the time the player hits the NHL.
It's also really rare for the top 3 in a draft to be drafted 1, 2 and 3. There is a huge amount of variance in the draft itself, the kids being drafted are very young and rarely will be able to step onto their teams right away. We are going to be a cellar team for awhile, so I'm in no rush as a fan. Hopefully we get Wright in two years.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad