Kyrou signed for 2 years @ 2.8M AAV

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
if all play 82, it very well could happen.
I'd bet a ton against it.

In 2018/19 there were only 2 teams that had more than 5 forwards who scored 20+ goals. Toronto had 6 and Washington had 7.

In 2017/18 there were only 2 teams that had more than 5 forwards who scored 20+ goals. Toronto and Tamps each had 6.

In 2016/17 no teams had more than 5 forwards who scored 20+ goals.

In 2015/16 Washington was the only team with more than 5 forwards who scored 20+ goals. They had 6.

It is very impressive to have 6 forwards that score 20+ goals. Only 1 team in the last 5 full seasons has had 7 do it and no one has had 8. You're in amazing shape if you're looking at a group that ends the year with 5-7 20+ goal guys. Expecting 9 as a possibility is crazy. You would need no injuries to your middle 6 and perfectly timed injuries to your top line to allow them to just clear 20 but then be hurt enough games to get depth guys more ice time on the PP and in offensive situations. And even then you would need insane performance from the 3rd line.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

In 2018/19 there were only 2 teams that had more than 5 forwards who scored 20+ goals. Toronto had 6 and Washington had 7.

In 2017/18 there were only 2 teams that had more than 5 forwards who scored 20+ goals. Toronto and Tamps each had 6.

In 2015/16 Washington was the only team with more than 5 forwards who scored 20+ goals. They had 6.

It is very impressive to have 6 forwards that score 20+ goals. Only 1 team in the last 5 full seasons has had 7 do it and no one has had 8. You're in amazing shape if you're looking at a group that ends the year with 5-7 20+ goal guys. Expecting 9 as a possibility is crazy. You would need no injuries to your middle 6 and perfectly timed injuries to your top line to allow them to just clear 20 but then be hurt enough games to get depth guys more ice time on the PP and in offensive situations. And even then you would need insane performance from the 3rd line.

i think all 9 will score 20 in their careers, but probably not all in the same year. I realize I was a bit too optimistic when I said this year.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
i think all 9 will score 20 in their careers, but probably not all in the same year. I realize I was a bit too optimistic when I said this year.

Never be ashamed of being a Blues fan. I think our forward group (with or without Tarasenko) has the potential to produce a lot of 20+ goal scoreres, and if I'm wrong so be it. :nod:

Reactions: Mike Liut

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
you would have to use the wood sticks from back then with no whip and almost no curve so it all evened out

plus the stacked pads and stick saves from back then are pretty cool

Yea but a lot of defenses had less overall skill and more of an immovable wall aspect. If you could skate well back then you could find ways around some defenses. I mean, remember when Bure was a bit of a phenomenon because of how fast he was? Or when "Russian skaters" were like seeing a shooting star? You don't really get that stand out, singled out praise for skating these days unless you are McDavid. And now the Defenders, relatively stayed the same size, but learned how to actually move and skate. A lot of guys back then were a bit stiff and less agile and definitely less talented with the puck. And you certainly didn't have to worry as much about Defenders beating you in transition. There were a few, but not every team had some 5'11, 6' dynamo defender that could stop you from scoring and then rush the puck up ice and beat half your forwards. Let alone some 6'3 or 6'4 guy who could do similarly. That's part of what made so star defenders back then such legends. Guy's like Orr and Bourque or Housley were much more of an oddity. And then you had standouts like Al Mac with still one of the sickest shots ever or Coffey, Leetch, Chelios with their game. And then guys like Lidstrom, Blake, Pronger, Niedermeyer, Stevens started becoming more common. Well, not "common" I guess, but the 90's I think is really when high skill defenders started becoming less rare. Now every team seems to have at least 2 if not more highly skilled defenders, whether they are stars or not.

The game has changed so much. I would say in Goalie quality, overall speed and skating ability and quality of defenders who also have offensive ability, the most glaring changes.

I'm just visiting. Nice place you got here.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissouriMook

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
What’s his ceiling? 20 goals 45 points? Or 25 goals 55 points? Blues need the very best out of him on a consistent basis. He is the new core going forward. Him, Thomas and Kostin.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
What’s his ceiling? 20 goals 45 points? Or 25 goals 55 points? Blues need the very best out of him on a consistent basis. He is the new core going forward. Him, Thomas and Kostin.
Last season he paced for 21 goals and 53 points for a full 82. Considering he only had 3 PP points, I think he could be a PPG player if he continues to improve and gets more PP time/opportunities.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Last season he paced for 21 goals and 53 points for a full 82. Considering he only had 3 PP points, I think he could be a PPG player if he continues to improve and gets more PP time/opportunities.
Love your optimism. I’d be ecstatic if he can hit 60 point range consistently. You make a great point about PP opportunity. I wonder if he’d be even better at Center?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Love your optimism. I’d be ecstatic if he can hit 60 point range consistently. You make a great point about PP opportunity. I wonder if he’d be even better at Center?
He didn't play center even in juniors, so I would not expect him to be a center

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t think a 70 point player is outside the realm of possibility. 25/45 maybe. He can create so many plays out of of virtually nothing. His challenge is how does he bring it every night? If he can do that, I think he could hit those numbers. Won’t be easy though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

A lot of good that has ever done for the Leafs.

Yeah, pass on all of this logic.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
A lot of good that has ever done for the Leafs.

Yeah, pass on all of this logic.
Are you saying that teams should strive to not have good depth scoring because the Leafs top end scorers disappear in the playoffs?

Or are you saying that we are likley to have nine 20 goal scorers because the Leafs "only" having 6 and 7 didn't result in playoff success?

Or are you saying that we should ignore the roster construction of 3 of the last 4 Cup winners because the Leafs haven't had success with it?

I genuinely have no clue what logic you believe is folly based on the Leafs watching their top 4 forwards turn into ghosts in the playoffs. I'm talking about how unrealistic it is to have more than 6 guys reach the 20 goal mark in a season. What are you talking about?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Note

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

He was fading hard by the end of the year, so pacing is misleading. He was great with Schenn and Schwartz, but when he got moved off that line he wasn't nearly as good. Still good, but not close to PPG quality.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He was fading hard by the end of the year, so pacing is misleading. He was great with Schenn and Schwartz, but when he got moved off that line he wasn't nearly as good. Still good, but not close to PPG quality.
Yeah, he had 20 points in his first 23 games and 15 in the final 32.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I was answering a question regarding his ceiling. While I don't think it's likely he becomes a PPG guy, I think he could if he continues to improve in addition to getting a PP1 spot(he only had 3PP points).

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
realistically, until a trade is made, is kyrou fighting for ice time with tarasenko?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
realistically, until a trade is made, is kyrou fighting for ice time with tarasenko?
Probably more so Saad. If Tarasenko is here, he'll still get top 6 time, either to try and repair the relationship or to showcase him. Being on the 3rd line with Thomas wouldn't be the worst thing though. Kyrou doesn't need a ton of minutes to be dangerous, so they could probably get some good matchups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad