Rumor: Kypreos: Ownership Level Killed DeAngelo Trades, Fearing Backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think his political views/ opinions are being lumped in with how he conducts himself in locker rooms/ around fellow hockey players

His political views/ tweets are polarizing - that isn't really an issue beyond I believe Rangers brass telling him to knock off the social media outbursts (source needed)

His behaviour/ presence has seemingly been problematic though, and that is what is at the heart of this

I think most of us would be let down by a few of our favourite players if we knew their extensive list of political opinions or maybe just personal views on life/ marriage/ economics, etc. because they may not line up with our own - that is one thing and it has nothing to do with running out of chances or being ostracized by the NHL

However, whatever DeAngelo has been doing in juniors, Tampa/ Syracuse, Arizona/ Tuscon, and now New York/ Hartford has obviously been an issue for 3 NHL organizations to move on from a young, cost-controlled, impactful defender, so this seemingly goes beyond someone's political views and more into how do teammates communicate and work together? If it isn't working you have to address the issue and rectify it, and for NY that means DeAngelo is done playing for them.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think his political views/ opinions are being lumped in with how he conducts himself in locker rooms/ around fellow hockey players

His political views/ tweets are polarizing - that isn't really an issue beyond I believe Rangers brass telling him to knock off the social media outbursts (source needed)

His behaviour/ presence has seemingly been problematic though, and that is what is at the heart of this

I think most of us would be let down by a few of our favourite players if we knew their extensive list of political opinions or maybe just personal views on life/ marriage/ economics, etc. because they may not line up with our own - that is one thing and it has nothing to do with running out of chances or being ostracized by the NHL

However, whatever DeAngelo has been doing in juniors, Tampa/ Syracuse, Arizona/ Tuscon, and now New York/ Hartford has obviously been an issue for 3 NHL organizations to move on from a young, cost-controlled, impactful defender, so this seemingly goes beyond someone's political views and more into how do teammates communicate and work together? If it isn't working you have to address the issue and rectify it, and for NY that means DeAngelo is done playing for them.
Where's the evidence he was a problem for Arizona? He was added to a trade that acquired them a top line center and a prime aged starting goaltender. He was highly valued.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I've said this before, the only way a team might consider is if he is moved for a very stupid contract which could put on lots of weight on the Rangers. I'm talking if it's PK Subban for Tony DeAngelo no retention either side. Maybe even Jeff Skinner or Brent Seabrook for Tony DeAngelo would make it work.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Nothing Kypreos said was untrue. It's the politically correct environment we live in today.
It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

Lol this is such a bad take.

Which players have been blacklisted from the NHL? I can think of three.

Voynov - a foreign felon. Enough said.
Leipsic - said 'politically incorrect' things.... but, more importantly, talked shit about his teammates!
DeAngelo (arguable that he's actually been blacklisted) - said 'politically incorrect' things... but, more importantly, fought teammates, has long history of confrontation with teammates!

Maybe the political aspect comes into play, but it's merely additional noise on top of the backdrop of "can't play nice". If Leipsic hadnt shit talked teammates and former teammates, plug that he is, he'd probably still be around. If DeAngelo was a good teammate, he'd still be a Ranger.

Historically, most players who have been blacklisted have been those who speak up on progressive values, specifically within the context of the league. This is in line with what we've seen recently, but slightly different - these guys didn't play nice with owners and management. All in all, though, it's always about one thing, right or wrong, accurate or inaccurate: placing self over team (in ways that are deemed unacceptable).

I didn't even realize that was Doug McLean until he started talking.

They're absolutely right. This cancel culture and political correctness is beyond ridiculous.

Other than Voynov, name me one NHLer who has been "cancelled" for reasons other than internal politics

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Leipsic - said 'politically incorrect' things.... but, more importantly, talked shit about his teammates!
DeAngelo (arguable that he's actually been blacklisted) - said 'politically incorrect' things... but, more importantly, fought teammates, has long history of confrontation with teammates!

Maybe the political aspect comes into play, but it's merely additional noise on top of the backdrop of "can't play nice". If Leipsic hadnt shit talked teammates and former teammates, plug that he is, he'd probably still be around. If DeAngelo was a good teammate, he'd still be a Ranger.

Historically, most players who have been blacklisted have been those who speak up on progressive values, specifically within the context of the league. This is in line with what we've seen recently, but slightly different - these guys didn't play nice with owners and management. All in all, though, it's always about one thing, right or wrong, accurate or inaccurate: placing self over team (in ways that are deemed unacceptable).

Other than Voynov, name me one NHLer who has been "cancelled" for reasons other than internal politics

It's not a bad take. It is a take you disagree with.
Having certain beliefs/values today, particularly if you are vocal about it, can get you cancelled. It's happening in all walks of life and there are countless examples.
If this is only about Tony being a bad team mate, there should be concrete evidence presented. I've heard that most of the Rangers room thought Tony was a good guy. Are there fights between team mates? Yes, although less frequently than in the past. It used to be called taken care of team issues behind closed doors. FWIW, Georgiev went after DeAngelo. Georgiev did make a horrible decision that cost the team the game. Frustration ensued. It wasn't the first time and will not be the last.
As far as the Puckgate thing, there hasn't been anyone coming out stating that actually happened.
Also, GM's won't sign Tony for one reason, fear of public, morally superior media's woke condemnation.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Meh someone will take him by the deadline let’s be honest

won’t be for much but he will go

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Voynov was a wife beater.

Leipcic was a fringe NHL player.

DeAngelo scored 53 points last season as a 24 year old right shot defenseman. The only thing proven against him is that he's outspoken on social media platforms and he's an abrasive personality in the locker room.

Ownership should have absolutely no reason to step in if these are the only factors involved.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I've said this before, the only way a team might consider is if he is moved for a very stupid contract which could put on lots of weight on the Rangers....

If this is the only way, then it doesnt happen,
GMJG wont put team in worse situation, there is no incentive for NYR to go there. In that case, their smarter option is just wait til offseason, and buyout, as under 26, that cost is not much.

You may be right that no GM will decide that Tony's gifts can help their playoff chances.

But one might. There is way more to gain, than to fear, from a talented guy whose career needs a reboot.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Nothing Kypreos said was untrue. It's the politically correct environment we live in today.
It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

If they wanted to have a discussion about cancel culture, okay, it could be an interesting. In my view they greatly oversimplified the DeAngelo situation and primarily placed the blame on his public expression of political views, while it should be obvious to everyone that his situation involves much more than his political views and even predates many aspects of "cancel culture."

That is why they are wrong, not because of their discussion of the concept of "cancel culture," but rather their intentional disregard of many of the facts surrounding the DeAngelo situation. By pinning the blame on the idea of "cancel culture," they are essentially giving him a pass for behavior that stretches back years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

You're wasting your time on people like them.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

You’re missing the point.

Plus, this cancel culture BS is relatively recent.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If they wanted to have a discussion about cancel culture, okay, it could be an interesting. In my view they greatly oversimplified the DeAngelo situation and primarily placed the blame on his public expression of political views, while it should be obvious to everyone that his situation involves much more than his political views and even predates many aspects of "cancel culture."

That is why they are wrong, not because of their discussion of the concept of "cancel culture," but rather their intentional disregard of many of the facts surrounding the DeAngelo situation. By pinning the blame on the idea of "cancel culture," they are essentially giving him a pass for behavior that stretches back years.

The behavior that most point to happened as a teenager. So, what is the behavior that got Tony released? Was it him saying something to his goalie who just made a horrible play? Before I make a determination, I would like to know exactly what he did to warrant the release.

If he was a locker room problem, and I haven't heard anything from his team mates, w0uldn't it be wise to know what he did before condemning the kid? It is an organizations right to release a player, but let's not kid ourselves, GM's aren't touching DeAngelo because of public perception.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You're wasting your time on people like them.
That's telling. You say, "people like them". So, tell me, what do believe about people like me? You, obviously, don't know me. You just make a determination based on a post from a message board. You, ironically, are making my point.

Reactions: DFF

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Cancel Culture isn't a new thing. Its just a new term for "accountability" so that people participating in the today's Culture War have something to be mad about.

Why is getting fired or deplatformed considered "being cancelled", yet never getting the job nor ever having a large outreach is not? I think a lot of people don't realize that they themselves are inherently cancelled and are defending people that don't need defending.

Further, in today's society where information is more freely distributed and broadcasted, it makes sense that more people are being found "accountable" for their actions. Before, you had to tell your story to the newspaper, local news, etc., and if they didn't like your story... well... guess who is getting "cancelled"? Not the powerful guy who is beloved by the media.

I think its also no surprise that this is a prevalently American narrative, where broadcasting and media standards leave much to be desired. The only high profile case in Canada of someone "getting cancelled" is Don Cherry.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The behavior that most point to happened as a teenager. So, what is the behavior that got Tony released? Was it him saying something to his goalie who just made a horrible play? Before I make a determination, I would like to know exactly what he did to warrant the release.

If he was a locker room problem, and I haven't heard anything from his team mates, w0uldn't it be wise to know what he did before condemning the kid? It is an organizations right to release a player, but let's not kid ourselves, GM's aren't touching DeAngelo because of public perception.

So the only concern for GMs is public perception? Everything else that has been reported about DeAngelo for years is a a form of imagined fiction? You are oversimplifying the situation and I suspect that you know it.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The only thing proven against him is that he's outspoken on social media platforms and he's an abrasive personality in the locker room.

Ownership should have absolutely no reason to step in if these are the only factors involved.
What a terrible take. Ownership shouldn't step in to protect their brand and ultimately their profit? Who cares who's "right", if a player like DeAngelo is going to cause the fans to leave or boycott or whatever, then f*** yes the ownership have really the biggest reason ever for them to step in - their money.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
McGuire said the same thing on the Sens morning show a few days back. Not as explicitly though. He was asked about why a trade never happened and he said something about it getting quashed at the ownership/president of hockey ops level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad