Rumor: Kypreos: Ownership Level Killed DeAngelo Trades, Fearing Backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
If they wanted to have a discussion about cancel culture, okay, it could be an interesting. In my view they greatly oversimplified the DeAngelo situation and primarily placed the blame on his public expression of political views, while it should be obvious to everyone that his situation involves much more than his political views and even predates many aspects of "cancel culture."

That is why they are wrong, not because of their discussion of the concept of "cancel culture," but rather their intentional disregard of many of the facts surrounding the DeAngelo situation. By pinning the blame on the idea of "cancel culture," they are essentially giving him a pass for behavior that stretches back years.

What behavior though?

That is the point.

Until the victim comes out and verifies exactly what was said to them, no one has any hard proof DeAngelo crossed that line of lines.

There is no proof. Period. That is exactly what Kypreos point is.

In today's online culture all you have to do to ruin someone is yell "racist" and all the SJW knobs instantly run to a platform and repeat the lie till, months later, after it has snowballed, the umproven rumor becomes a hard fact.

Where is the proof?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What a terrible take. Ownership shouldn't step in to protect their brand and ultimately their profit? Who cares who's "right", if a player like DeAngelo is going to cause the fans to leave or boycott or whatever, then f*** yes the ownership have really the biggest reason ever for them to step in - their money.
Second time I've heard this in the thread. Can you point out the proven reasoning why fans would boycott the product if their GM decided to take a chance on this kid at a bargain?

The reasoning behind these arguments are where the terrible takes lie. They're accusations of racism with absolutely nothing to back them.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
... By pinning the blame on the idea of "cancel culture," they are essentially giving him a pass for behavior that stretches back years.

It's almost as if that is the entire point of the concept.

"I'm not a bad person, I'm actually the victim!"

It is interesting to me that a group will bend over backwards trying to defend anyone who they feel is being attacked for a certain set of views. Screeching about cancel culture. Yet I've never seen the obvious counter-argument that this group is only defending people like DeAngelo because they hold similar political views as him. It's worse than pure tribalism as the persecution complex is so pathetic.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It's not a bad take. It is a take you disagree with.
Having certain beliefs/values today, particularly if you are vocal about it, can get you cancelled. It's happening in all walks of life and there are countless examples.
If this is only about Tony being a bad team mate, there should be concrete evidence presented. I've heard that most of the Rangers room thought Tony was a good guy. Are there fights between team mates? Yes, although less frequently than in the past. It used to be called taken care of team issues behind closed doors. FWIW, Georgiev went after DeAngelo. Georgiev did make a horrible decision that cost the team the game. Frustration ensued. It wasn't the first time and will not be the last.
As far as the Puckgate thing, there hasn't been anyone coming out stating that actually happened.
Also, GM's won't sign Tony for one reason, fear of public, morally superior media's woke condemnation.

I don't believe "puckgate", so that's neither here nor there... I do know he was suspended twice by his team in jrs due to harrassment of a teammate, his behavioural issues date back even before then, and I also know that fighting a goalie in the tunnel after a game is very, very different than fighting a teammate in practice.

Fact is, we have direct evidence that the Rangers have confronted him about his behaviour several times, and at no point did they bring up politics and, usually, it wasn't following incidents that were even peripherally related to politics. Yes, he is a PR nightmare, but to act like that is purely because of politics is a huge, huge stretch. He's a PR nightmare because he's a loose cannon. His politics are secondary.

You’re missing the point.

Plus, this cancel culture BS is relatively recent.

Oh, I'm missing the point? Okay, then elucidate it for me!

Also, lmao, "cancel culture" is not relatively recent at all. It is a recent phenomenon for essentially anonymous folks like you, me, or some guy who says something on twitter and then gets reported to his company and fired - that much I agree with - but that's an entirely different phenomena than what is happening with Deangelo (even if he was being blacklisted for his politics, which he isnt). Also, by no means has Deangelo even been cancelled. He's set to make close to 10 million dollars over the next two years and has been off of an NHL roster for 10 days.

Cancel Culture isn't a new thing. Its just a new term for "accountability" so that people participating in the today's Culture War have something to be mad about.

Why is getting fired or deplatformed considered "being cancelled", yet never getting the job nor ever having a large outreach is not? I think a lot of people don't realize that they themselves are inherently cancelled and are defending people that don't need defending.

Further, in today's society where information is more freely distributed and broadcasted, it makes sense that more people are being found "accountable" for their actions. Before, you had to tell your story to the newspaper, local news, etc., and if they didn't like your story... well... guess who is getting "cancelled"? Not the powerful guy who is beloved by the media.

I think its also no surprise that this is a prevalently American narrative, where broadcasting and media standards leave much to be desired. The only high profile case in Canada of someone "getting cancelled" is Don Cherry.

Great post.

Sidenote, but while I disagreed with the reasons for Cherry's firing, and don't think his final comments were even top 100 of the worst things he's said, the standard for a media member who is on a government funded channel is a lot different than almost anyone out there.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Voynov was a wife beater.

Leipcic was a fringe NHL player.

DeAngelo scored 53 points last season as a 24 year old right shot defenseman. The only thing proven against him is that he's outspoken on social media platforms and he's an abrasive personality in the locker room.

Ownership should have absolutely no reason to step in if these are the only factors involved.

You're forgetting the suspension for the use of slurs. I guess that's not a big deal?

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Second time I've heard this in the thread. Can you point out the proven reasoning why fans would boycott the product if their GM decided to take a chance on this kid at a bargain?
What? Nothing needs to be proven, it just needs to be believed. Take a look at pretty much every thread in every team's subforums about Deangelo. Look at how many fans at least say they would no longer support the team if they claimed/traded for him. That's money out of the owners pockets if they follow through (and DeAngelo doesn't bring in more money...). So owners don't want to take the risk of losing money, the reason most of them have a team.

Also his own team suspended him for at least one of racist, misognistic or homophobic statements, that's a fact.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Cancel Culture isn't a new thing. Its just a new term for "accountability" so that people participating in the today's Culture War have something to be mad about.

Why is getting fired or deplatformed considered "being cancelled", yet never getting the job nor ever having a large outreach is not? I think a lot of people don't realize that they themselves are inherently cancelled and are defending people that don't need defending.

Further, in today's society where information is more freely distributed and broadcasted, it makes sense that more people are being found "accountable" for their actions. Before, you had to tell your story to the newspaper, local news, etc., and if they didn't like your story... well... guess who is getting "cancelled"? Not the powerful guy who is beloved by the media.

I think its also no surprise that this is a prevalently American narrative, where broadcasting and media standards leave much to be desired. The only high profile case in Canada of someone "getting cancelled" is Don Cherry.

There is a difference between the two. Digging through someone's past on twittering and finding they said something mean twelve years ago is absurd unless it's especially hideous. You aren't holding them accountable. You're attempting to destroy their current success based on something they did when they were over a decade younger.

In the case of DeAngelo. That is accountability less so because of his political views and more his attitude. We only know of the public outbursts and suspensions. If that's his behavior publicly, you can reasonably surmise he's worse behind closed doors. The Rangers are dropping a 53 point defenseman because he supported Trump nor do they actually care if people whined about it. They're kicking him off the team because he's become a distraction in their locker room. For all we know, it may be the players themselves who want him gone. He isn't exactly known for being a swell guy.

DeAngelo has been suspended twice now and caught spewing racial slurs. How many chances does he get before it isn't "cancel culture" and "this dude's just an asshole"?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Nothing Kypreos said was untrue. It's the politically correct environment we live in today.
It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

Maybe using racist slurs, being an asshole to a rookie and your goalie, and being a dirtbag in general should have consequences? That's not political correctness, it's GMs and owners protecting their organizations.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

The reasoning behind these arguments are where the terrible takes lie. They're accusations of racism with absolutely nothing to back them.

What a terrible take

Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate

Those clouds parted on Friday, when the Ontario Hockey League announced they had suspended the native of Sewell, N.J., eight games for violating the league’s harrassment, abuse and diversity policy. It's the second time this season the 18-year-old has been suspended for contravening the rule which attempts to keep homophobic, racist, sexist, and the other derogatory language used by small minds – out of the game.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You're forgetting the suspension for the use of slurs. I guess that's not a big deal?
It was addressed in junior. Nor was there any proof that it was a racially-charged comment. Absolutely no context was ever provided, as noted in the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Voynov was a wife beater.

Leipcic was a fringe NHL player.

DeAngelo scored 53 points last season as a 24 year old right shot defenseman. The only thing proven against him is that he's outspoken on social media platforms and he's an abrasive personality in the locker room.

Ownership should have absolutely no reason to step in if these are the only factors involved.

They are not the only factors involved, that much is a matter of public record. That said, saying that ownership should not step in when someone is "abrasive... in the locker room" is one of the strangest things I've ever heard, because, quite literally, there are hundreds upon hundreds of incidents in which professional athletes have been suspended or worse for exactly that.

It's pretty much scientifically proven that everyone is racist to a degree, and you're clearly referring to me here, so I'll just say that I do not condemn him as a racist - although, in the past, he has certainly used prejudicial language, we all have, and the fact that his was a matter of widespread public knowledge doesnt make him irredeemable (please, lets not bother with you saying this was never confirmed.... the hockey world is small and this is as close to fact as you get).

All that said: can accept the premise DeAngelo is less racist than the average person and still see ample justification for him being cut from NY, and for teams being extremely, extremely wary of him.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

:laugh:

He admitted to it...

Reactions: Rob Brown

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
As noted in the video, no context was ever provided. It was an internal issue in Sarnia that was addressed by the team.

Should an emotionally-charged comment a player makes as a teenager come back and haunt him nearly a decade later when it's used completely out of context?

Teams are concerned about this player's character and how he fits into a room of professional hockey players. Now there's a completely different dialogue about racism and owners worried about fans boycotting. It's a really odd argument.

Reactions: MBH

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
As noted in the video, no context was ever provided. It was an internal issue in Sarnia that was addressed by the team.

Should an emotionally-charged comment a player makes as a teenager come back and haunt him nearly a decade later when it's used completely out of context?

Teams are concerned about this player's character and how he fits into a room of professional hockey players. Now there's a completely different dialogue about racism and owners worried about fans boycotting. It's a really odd argument.

I don't care how "emotional" he gets, there is not excuse for calling someone a slur.

I've been upset plenty of times, but never use words like that in anger at someone.

Edit: He also allegedly punched a teammate in the face, which is why he's not playing right now. If someone shows you who they are....believe them

Reactions: Seachd

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
What behavior though?

That is the point.

Until the victim comes out and verifies exactly what was said to them, no one has any hard proof DeAngelo crossed that line of lines.

There is no proof. Period. That is exactly what Kypreos point is.

In today's online culture all you have to do to ruin someone is yell "racist" and all the SJW knobs instantly run to a platform and repeat the lie till, months later, after it has snowballed, the umproven rumor becomes a hard fact.

Where is the proof?

The Rangers clearly have some proof of bad behaviour which is why they made the decision to waive him. I suspect it's also known around the league as GMs talk to each other. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Utterly ridiculous to think a business would let go of a talented player simply because of his political beliefs. There are plenty of other players that share DeAngelo's views, so your point is completely dead on arrival

Reactions: r0bert8841

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think his political views/ opinions are being lumped in with how he conducts himself in locker rooms/ around fellow hockey players

His political views/ tweets are polarizing - that isn't really an issue beyond I believe Rangers brass telling him to knock off the social media outbursts (source needed)

His behaviour/ presence has seemingly been problematic though, and that is what is at the heart of this

I think most of us would be let down by a few of our favourite players if we knew their extensive list of political opinions or maybe just personal views on life/ marriage/ economics, etc. because they may not line up with our own - that is one thing and it has nothing to do with running out of chances or being ostracized by the NHL

However, whatever DeAngelo has been doing in juniors, Tampa/ Syracuse, Arizona/ Tuscon, and now New York/ Hartford has obviously been an issue for 3 NHL organizations to move on from a young, cost-controlled, impactful defender, so this seemingly goes beyond someone's political views and more into how do teammates communicate and work together? If it isn't working you have to address the issue and rectify it, and for NY that means DeAngelo is done playing for them.
Does trying to get someone to fight you outside of MSG because they argued with you on Twitter part of his “political views”? Or just more evidence he’s asshole head case? I’d go with the latter.

This debate is perfect for dumb sports talk like this because it pointless. DeAngelo was waived. He wasn’t fired for cause, the Rangers can waive him for any reason they want. Sometimes players need to be dumped, they aren’t worth the trouble they cause. He has a contract and it will be honored, he’ll survive.

And then the other complaint is GMs won’t trade for him because he’s an asshole? Sadly I wasted time listening to the clip, I’m skeptical about the multiple teams were “ready pull the trigger” and I’m not sure who he allegedly heard that from other than DeAngelo’s agent.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
Yup definitely cancel culture. That is why you definitely would never have Donald Trump as President or 50% Republican senators.

I’d be amazed if 40% of the league didn’t vote Trump but only one man is getting demoted and traded..seems like maybe the poor locker room behaviour is really the issue.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
You’re missing the point.

Plus, this cancel culture BS is relatively recent.
Play shitty games, win shitty prizes. 'Canceling' is a dumb term but if you're a shitty person there are consequences. It's called accountability. If I got in a fight with my colleague at work or was racist or whatever I'd get zero second chances. Stop normalizing it.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Having certain beliefs/values today, particularly if you are vocal about it, can get you cancelled. It's happening in all walks of life and there are countless examples.
If this is only about Tony being a bad team mate, there should be concrete evidence presented. I've heard that most of the Rangers room thought Tony was a good guy. Are there fights between team mates? Yes, although less frequently than in the past. It used to be called taken care of team issues behind closed doors. FWIW, Georgiev went after DeAngelo. Georgiev did make a horrible decision that cost the team the game. Frustration ensued. It wasn't the first time and will not be the last.
As far as the Puckgate thing, there hasn't been anyone coming out stating that actually happened.
Also, GM's won't sign Tony for one reason, fear of public, morally superior media's woke condemnation.

Despite facts about the encounter between Geo and ADA, people still vehemently defend ADA as if he's some sort of martyr in this situation. His departure from NYR has 0% to do with his political opinions, it has 100% to do with the fact that he was combative and abrasive in the most general sense to the point of literally scrumming with not 1, not 2, but 3 teammates because he couldn't just keep his mouth shut.

No one honestly gives a single shit ADA supports/supported Trump. Maybe it was a sore spot for some fans, but it ultimately held no weight in NYR management's decision on what they did. When you start causing physical fights in your workplace because you can't keep whatever your other opinions are to yourself, that's when it's a problem. Tack on the fact that management had told him repeatedly to cool his shit from his first season in NY and he refused to do so, it's not a great look.

Also imagine fighting 3 of your teammates because you can't handle a loss in OT. If it wasn't this "incident" that set ADA off, it would have just been the next loss. Funny thing is ADA f***ing sucks at his own job of defending so he's not really in a great position to cast stones at Geo making a mistake.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What? Nothing needs to be proven, it just needs to be believed. Take a look at pretty much every thread in every team's subforums about Deangelo. Look at how many fans at least say they would no longer support the team if they claimed/traded for him. That's money out of the owners pockets if they follow through (and DeAngelo doesn't bring in more money...). So owners don't want to take the risk of losing money, the reason most of them have a team.

Also his own team suspended him for at least one of racist, misognistic or homophobic statements, that's a fact.
And this is essentially the problem. If someone has a particular set of views today that you don't agree with, all you really need to do is dig up something shitty from their past, misrepresent their stance and out them as an extremist. We're a really lazy society when it comes to arguing and would prefer to zing someone instead of working with them to change for better.

Tony DeAngelo is currently suspended by the NY Rangers because the team has a problem with his behavior and his personality. They aren't holding him out because they're suddenly bent out of shape about something he did as a teenager. It didn't stop them from paying dearly for him from Arizona.

I'm not buying that teams are worried about Tony DeAngelo affecting their bottom line, if acquired. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: The S5

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Care to shed some light on your insider sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad