The Star: Kypreos: Opinion|The Leafs played hardball with Kyle Dubas, and now the clock is ticking

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why the h would it be the same thing?

They come from completely different worlds.

Kypreos is an ex-leaf (proud leaf alumni), a friend of the organization in many ways, players union advocate, NHL Insider, etc.

^All of this is completely foreign to Cox.

You're saying they are the same because one of them criticizes the coach and the other one criticizes the GM?
I think a lot of Leafs fans, myself included, don't think much of either Cox's or Kypreos;s opinons and thus put little weight on those opinions, hence, we tend to lump them together.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Wouldn't that be a very Leafy thing to happen? They want to extend him but someone offers more and he leaves.
At this point he is not leaving unless he is shown the door. It is my opinion that in his mind he wants to finish what he started

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If a years extension doesn’t change anything and he would most likely be fired if they flame out in the first round again (if in fact that’s what they are thinking) what’s the point.
It just becomes an extra severance package

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Why would you say that? He’s been writing for that organisation all year.

Kypreos has been right about the Leafs a lot and that rubs some fans the wrong way.

Yeah Pontus Holmberg being offer sheeted I'm sure will come about.

Best thing Kypreos ever did was decide to go get a bucket of chicken

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
After being forced to watch so many brutal GM's in Toronto over the years (JFJ, Babcock Raps, Riccardi Jays), I would sign him to a lifetime deal right now. I have lived through the other side and it ain't pretty.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
After being forced to watch so many brutal GM's in Toronto over the years (JFJ, Babcock Raps, Riccardi Jays), I would sign him to a lifetime deal right now. I have lived through the other side and it ain't pretty.
and which one of those Gm’s started with the elite young core Dubas did ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kypreos is a bit of a one trick pony in terms of storylines.

It's always, the Leafs had a chance to lock up X, but because of positive Y performance, they may be exposed and Team Z might come in and really make things interesting. Level of regret variable.

It could be Matthews eyeing Los Angeles. It could be teams looking to offer sheet Holmberg after a good month of NHL play, it could be Dubas.

The thing to consider here with MLSE is they let the clock run down on Masai Ujiri too. But locked him and his staff in at the last moment.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Theres really no rush to extend a GM, especially with Dubas. This is his dream job and how the Leafs fare in these playoffs will determine whether he's still here or not.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You know Toronto Sports is a dumpster fire when people are praising a GM who hasn't won a playoff round yet as "not brutal" Lol.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Could be part of rhe storyline to try to get the team to play harder for a lame duck GM who "believes in them"

Or could be a what has Dubas really done? Brodie wanted to be to Toronto, so did Gio, and so did Tavares. Not much negotiations needed there.

Otherwise he's kept the same stars he's inherited, generally botched their contracts, traded loyal torontorian Kadri and lost Hyman.

Overall he's done a fair job... But could someone else have done better?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You know Toronto Sports is a dumpster fire when people are praising a GM who hasn't won a playoff round yet as "not brutal" Lol.

For years the Leafs operating strategy was spent chasing their own tail trying to squeak into a final playoff spot and for the vast majority of fans this was great and they actually supported building an entire team around Phil f***ing Kessel.

After all that pain and suffering we finally got the draft-rebuild that was absolutely necessary all that time, and now getting bounced in first round for 6 consecutive years is also now OK, not so much for actual Leafs fans, but more-so for the proponents of free internet blogger stats.

The more things change, the more things more-or-less stay the same.

It's getting cliché at this point to state but absolutely no-one back in 2016 would have thought the Leafs upside 6 years later was not only zero Cup wins, but shockingly zero playoff round wins.

That's abject managerial failure, and no matter how many excuses are presented year after year there's absolutely no disputing it after that duration of time.

The way these Leafs have been mis-managed is arguably as bad as the Burke/Ferguson era because it's just been an absolute tease. The rare pieces have been there all along but what's holding them back is an idealist GM who puts his own biased views of how a hockey team should be constructed and how the game ought to be played ahead of how the game actually is played, what gets consistent success in the playoffs, and now we as fans watch season after season wasted away.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
If Dubas gets fired he will instantly get hired by another team.

He's not bad at all.

Let's see what happens in April.

Not Dubas' fault that we're in a division with the Bruins and Tampa.

Not his fault that the cap ceiling was expected to explode and COVID came along.

Not sure he's to blame for guys like Marner getting equal pay like a UFA Tavares etc.

I like Keefe but that's where it starts if head are getting lopped off.

Nothing wrong with Shanny at all.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Excuse. Boston and Tampa both find ways to push through in the same division to a much greater degree than the Leafs do.

And last I checked, Toronto losing to Columbus in a made-up play-in series and Montreal after blowing a 3-1 series lead (also last place team now) have exactly nothing to do with Tampa and Boston being in the same division.

Not his fault that the cap ceiling was expected to explode and COVID came along.

Another excuse. All teams' cap plans were interrupted by a stagnant cap.

Not sure he's to blame for guys like Marner getting equal pay like a UFA Tavares etc.

Yet another, even more absurd excuse. Dubas presented Marner with that contract that he ultimately signed. Like seriously? Who else would be responsible for a contract other than the GM of the team? Carlton the Bear? The Illuminati? Seriously, let me know. I'm very curious.

And of course the ultimate excuse. The coach, that was his own hire. The one that was supposed to fix the errors of the previous one. The one that will acquiesce to every little last roster decision based on Dubas' excel table. Admitting Keefe is a failure is as much admitting Dubas is since he's basically a puppet coach that will do whatever he wants. Been that way since junior when he gave Keefe his second chance in hockey.

Yup, nothing wrong with 6 consecutive 1st round losses.

Everything's been peachy.

Last edited:

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
If Dubas gets fired he will instantly get hired by another team.

He's not bad at all.

Let's see what happens in April.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

To be fair, we should give Dubas his due, he's won something before:

1676613098294.png

Can't call him a total proven-loser quite yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad