The Star: Kypreos: Opinion|The Leafs played hardball with Kyle Dubas, and now the clock is ticking

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Even if his job cannot be saved unless the Leafs get past the first round, I firmly believe the Leafs GM should have been granted a one-year extension last summer to take some pressure off.

So, why didn’t the Leafs feel the same way?

Despite the Game 7 loss to Tampa Bay last spring, Dubas didn’t deserve a year as a lame duck general manager. This really is no different than watching what Bruce Boudreau just went through with the Vancouver Canucks. Outside of the circus atmosphere that has thankfully been avoided in Toronto, the underlying message is exactly the same: We have lost faith in your ability to do your job and salvage this team beyond this season, unless you prove otherwise.

So who made the decision to not extend his contract for another year? Did that fall solely on Leafs president Brendan Shanahan? Or perhaps it was the board of directors at MLSE who didn’t like the internal optics of extending a contract for a playoff underachiever.

I find it hard to believe Shanahan, who stuck his neck out to first hire Dubas as assistant GM way back in 2014, would care about the perception of adding a simple industry-standard year to Dubas’s contract. If I was a betting man, I believe the board may have felt differently. This could be the new wave of hardcore NHL ownership tactics moving forward.

A one-year severance cheque would not hurt one of the wealthiest franchises in pro sports history, especially if doing so eliminated the elephant in the room — both for Dubas and his players, who no doubt will be worried about who might replace him if things go awry.

If we look at the bigger picture, outside of playoff disappointment, Dubas has done an admirable job in Toronto, especially for a guy who came to the Leafs with zero pro experience.

His rosters over the last four years have always held their own among the top-five teams in the league — at least in the regular season. He has gained a very strong reputation for finding undervalued assets and turning them into gems like Michael Bunting, Ilya Mikheyev, David Kämpf, Ilya Lyubushkin and Conor Timmins, just to name a few.

Under the MLSE roof you couldn’t find one person who doesn’t have a good word to say about Dubas. He’s hard-working, respectful, honest and a compassionate executive. Some may read this and say that doesn’t matter. But it does. It should have earned him a one-year add-on, especially if this season winds up being the best window for the Leafs to finally get over the hump. I’m not blind that Dubas has left himself vulnerable with no salary cap space, some suspect trades and depleted assets. He’s currently one of 10 contending GMs we can say the same for.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They obviously should have extended him, but what's done is done, and there's really nothing to suggest it's been a distraction or impacted anything in any way.
Credit to Dubas for focusing on what's best for the team, in the present and future.
Hopefully we come into this offseason with Dubas holding a new contract in one hand, and the cup in the other.
I don't think every new opinion piece needs its own thread.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nick Kypreos, so basically the same thing
This must leave some conflicted.
We often hear how Kypreos is an idiot but he seems rather complimentary of Dubas here.

I agree with him, he should have been given the token year. I don't think he's going anywhere though so it really doesn't matter.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Grant him the one year extension and fire him anyway if they lose in the first round of the playoffs again? Does that really change anything? Any risk obviously exists in the team finally having success and Dubas potentially being able to call his shot as a free agent. There will be free agent players and possibly coaches and/or GMs every season. Can't let that distract too much from the task at hand.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We often hear how Kypreos is an idiot but he seems rather complimentary of Dubas here.

I agree with him, he should have been given the token year. I don't think he's going anywhere though so it really doesn't matter.
Oh God no, don't you remember the whining and crying that went on when Burkie gave RW the token year

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Grant him the one year extension and fire him anyway if they lose in the first round of the playoffs again? Does that really change anything? Any risk obviously exists in the team finally having success and Dubas potentially being able to call his shot as a free agent. There will be free agent players and possibly coaches and/or GMs every season. Can't let that distract too much from the task at hand.
Wouldn't that be a very Leafy thing to happen? They want to extend him but someone offers more and he leaves.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

As a Dubas supporter Kypreos is still an idiot and this is a bad read.

By the sounds of it Dubas has been very professional and, as CJ reported IIRC, general sense around the league is Dubas is not acting as a lame duck GM.

Also, at some point this team needs success, and while I hope it’s with Dubas at the helm, something needs to change if they don’t find it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Oh God no, don't you remember the whining and crying that went on when Burkie gave RW the token year
I don't but I tend not to pay attention to those who don't understand the game.
Year extension is common practice and really doesn't change anything.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Why would they have to be a better team? I would think they would bring him in so he can make them a better team.
I'd personally view it as a matter to not fret much about if he bolted to an inferior team. My point essentially is that a one year extension is probably meaningless if they lose in the first round again, and I wouldn't worry about losing him to a rival team (in the event of success for the Leafs this season) unless that team is even better than the Leafs are.

Reactions: rocketman588

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Nick Kypreos, so basically the same thing
Why the h would it be the same thing?

They come from completely different worlds.

Kypreos is an ex-leaf (proud leaf alumni), a friend of the organization in many ways, players union advocate, NHL Insider, etc.

^All of this is completely foreign to Cox.

You're saying they are the same because one of them criticizes the coach and the other one criticizes the GM?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t understand what him having that contract even does

If we lose first round, he’s done. No ifs or buts, so we’d be giving him a contract, in which he, Shanahan, MLSE, and us fans know is a “fake” that only stands if he gets past the 1st, probably 2nd round. It should make no difference to either him or the team because once they lost to tampa this should’ve been seen as his saving grace. He probably could’ve been fired after the tampa series and it would be justifiable in terms of results.

All of that is to say, contract or not, It wouldn’t change the outcome of his tenure if he delivers, he stays either way, if not, he’s shown the door

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I'd personally view it as a matter to not fret much about if he bolted to an inferior team. My point essentially is that a one year extension is probably meaningless if they lose in the first round again, and I wouldn't worry about losing him to a rival team (in the event of success for the Leafs this season) unless that team is even better than the Leafs are.
He could go to a team that is on bubble or one that is leaving its rebuild and has caproom just as AM34 becomes a FA.
Look what AA did when the Jay's let him walk. He has built a solid contender and won a World Series.
I get earning your contract but he also doesn't owe the Leafs anything and could walk even after winning afew rounds.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad