Sportsnet: Kyper says Leafs have inquired on Berglund for Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If you look in depth at this ''rumor'' i see it this way

Kadri+ for Berglund+shattenkirk (or an NHL ready D prospect)
==> it means we won't resign bolland+we have another deal in place to acquire a top 1/2 C (Dion for E Staal)

If you look at it this way, i wont' be mad at this !!

By "look in 'depth'" you mean, extrapolate fantasy based on speculation...

I seriously doubt Shattenkirk is being offered in proposals by STL.

Kadri for Berglund makes sense from a 1-for-1 POV, with a possible pick swap to cover value discrepancy (i.e. TOR 3rd for STL 2nd or TOR 2nd for STL 1st), as IMO Berglund is slightly less valuable than Kadri.

But in terms of this meaning we aren't re-signing Bolland, I don't see how you draw that conclusion.

If anything it means we're dead-set on re-signing Bolland, as Berglund is a 3C, Bolland a 2C, Kadri is also a 2C.

Without Kadri, we'd have a much clearer C depth chart. Bozak -> Bolland -> Berglund -> Holland.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What this team lacks is young, highly skilled players with pretty big upside.

So it's fitting that this team is considering trading a young, highly skilled player with pretty big upside.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I wanted the Leafs to draft Berglund instead of Tlusty in his draft year with the 13th overall pick.
I remember you wanting one of the top 12, since that was where the cut-off was in the draft. The Kings going off-the-board with Bernier allowed the Leafs to land Tlusty, who was in that top dozen prospects.

Berglund was ranked lower, so he wasn't really an option for the Leafs at #13.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Kadri for Berglund makes sense from a 1-for-1 POV, with a possible pick swap to cover value discrepancy (i.e. TOR 3rd for STL 2nd or TOR 2nd for STL 1st), as IMO Berglund is slightly less valuable than Kadri.

But in terms of this meaning we aren't re-signing Bolland, I don't see how you draw that conclusion.

If anything it means we're dead-set on re-signing Bolland, as Berglund is a 3C, Bolland a 2C, Kadri is also a 2C.

Without Kadri, we'd have a much clearer C depth chart. Bozak -> Bolland -> Berglund -> Holland.

Slightly less valuable? I would want their first as well as their second and Berglund

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Despite hitting a career high several years ago, Berglund has consistently been a 35 - 45 point producer. I'd be very, very wary about this - I've seen Blues fans rag on him nonstop about his play. If this is gonna happen, Blues need to add.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
There seems to be a lot of smoke in regards to Spezza today.

Since a Leafs trade with Ottawa for Kadri would be highly unlikely it would take a 3rd team to complete such a transaction being my thinking.

I think Anaheim has more to offer especially after STL moving quite a lot for Miller. So I could see Spezza end up out there and Kadri being another option for STL.

Badger Mayhew*

Berglund is not a bad player, infact he is a solid player, perhaps Leafs are looking for more complete players with size. He is not without talent, proven 52 point Center.

You're not a "proven 52 point centre" if you've scored 52 points exactly once in your career lol

Clarkson, the proven 30 goal winger!

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Bolland is not nor has he ever been a number 2 center You'd think that Chicago, who has long been searching for a 2C, trading him away would give you some indications to that...

And Berglund for Kadri does not make sense. It's some stupid need to get bigger, while sacrificing a lot of talent and potential.

Same old Leaf nation. Can't ever let their own players develop. Whatever, we'll just see Steen and Kadri play together and make Leaf nation ask why they were traded while Berglund goes all Stempniak on us

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Berglund is not a bad player, infact he is a solid player, perhaps Leafs are looking for more complete players with size. He is not without talent, proven 52 point Center.

And Kadri is a proven 50 point Center.

Goodness gracious you won't rest until he's run out of town.

Berglund single-handedly cost the Blues two games in round 1 vs. Chicago, with dumbassed defensive plays.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Whatever the case, it seems Kadri's days are numbered here.

Looks like Leafs want to turn the page on him.

I'll bet you all my VCash that Kadri doesn't get traded. I'll find a way to throw in more in a bet that Gardiner won't be traded either.

However, trading a highly-skilled young player for some an unskilled 3rd liner seems like a Leafs-type move.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France

Any team that has Bolland as 2C is definetly in the lottery, period !!

If the leafs went head first and asked about berglund (3C) then they might have a back up plan for a top 2C

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Berglund was a -3 in two of the 4 playoffs games he played this year.

He is also not a "proven 52 point" man. It happened once, his other career totals are very meh.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Berglund for Bollands rights and Kules rights with a Holland on top maybe.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I remember you wanting one of the top 12, since that was where the cut-off was in the draft. The Kings going off-the-board with Bernier allowed the Leafs to land Tlusty, who was in that top dozen prospects.

Berglund was ranked lower, so he wasn't really an option for the Leafs at #13.

I wanted to trade up to get Nik Backstrom or trade down and take Patty Berglund and then Kulemin with the extra pick.. We ended up with Kully with our own 2nd rounder.

Barry Trapp wanted to take Chris Stewart with the pick and then was replaced by JFJ with Morrison so the Leafs could draft Tlusty, but they really were hoping Brian Little would fall to them as their first choice.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Despite hitting a career high several years ago, Berglund has consistently been a 35 - 45 point producer. I'd be very, very wary about this - I've seen Blues fans rag on him nonstop about his play. If this is gonna happen, Blues need to add.

I'd be interested to see how much PP time he's getting down there though. If he's getting 40 points with not a lot, Then it helps the deal along.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
St. Louis throws in their first round pick and I'd consider it. Only two years older than Kadri, though he is currently an RFA, and you'd have to worry about how much he's asking for.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
If the make this deal or a similar deal like this for Kadri, I'm done. Same ol' management, just new faces.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'd be interested to see how much PP time he's getting down there though. If he's getting 40 points with not a lot, Then it helps the deal along.

I don't have the #'s but I believe he was getting 2nd unit PP time. At the very least for us, he'd give us another big body to throw in front of the net. I'm more wary about exactly why Blues fans complained about him so much, literally - it was like all the time, every game. :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Kadri went for Berglund and their was no other 1sts or legit top prospect coming back that would be it for me here.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I wanted to trade up to get Nik Backstrom or trade down and take Patty Berglund and then Kulemin with the extra pick.. We ended up with Kully with our own 2nd rounder.
... Or stay at #13 grabbing one of the top 12 or Sanguinetti.

Berglund at 13 wasn't an option or a suggestion by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia