Value of: Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman are probably the only "older" players in the Devils who have some kind of trade value.

I really like both players, so I'm not overly enthusiastic to trade them, but if the Devils brass chooses otherwise, what kind of players they can expect to get back?

Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 31 Thoughts:
13. Last week, I mentioned the Devils looking at “hockey trades,” not just rentals. I think they are looking for young players, maybe guys who would get more of an opportunity there than in their current situation. Players who can grow with Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes.

So who are these young players, guys who would get more of an opportunity there than in their current situation? Let's focus on one for one trades, no prospects or picks.

Coleman is 28 years old, and he has one year left in his contract (cap hit $1,800,000 per year). He has played 55 games and he has 21 goals and 10 assists this season.

Palmieri is 29 years old, and he also has one year left in his contract (cap hit $4,650,000 per year). He has played 51 games and he has 21 goals and 17 assists this season.

One more stat I found:

Reactions: banks

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
Not sure if we're good trading partners but I've always loved Coleman and think he'd make a great fit on the Avs. Would you guys be interested in something centering around Zadorov?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
I
Not sure if we're good trading partners but I've always loved Coleman and think he'd make a great fit on the Avs. Would you guys be interested in something centering around Zadorov?
i REALLY don’t want to trade Coleman but this would make me think

Reactions: NinjaKick

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman are probably the only "older" players in the Devils who have some kind of trade value.

I really like both players, so I'm not overly enthusiastic to trade them, but if the Devils brass chooses otherwise, what kind of players they can expect to get back?

Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 31 Thoughts:
13. Last week, I mentioned the Devils looking at “hockey trades,” not just rentals. I think they are looking for young players, maybe guys who would get more of an opportunity there than in their current situation. Players who can grow with Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes.

So who are these young players, guys who would get more of an opportunity there than in their current situation? Let's focus on one for one trades, no prospects or picks.

Coleman is 28 years old, and he has one year left in his contract (cap hit $1,800,000 per year). He has played 55 games and he has 21 goals and 10 assists this season.

Palmieri is 29 years old, and he also has one year left in his contract (cap hit $4,650,000 per year). He has played 51 games and he has 21 goals and 17 assists this season.

One more stat I found:

Likewise the Bruins could use both players - but that being said, I am not sure how much they are looking to move off their roster as a "hockey trade"

Perhaps something like the below (without knowing what the devils are looking for):

Bruins get
Coleman
Palmieri

Devils get:
Backes (cap)
Karson Kuhlman
Trent Frederic
1st 2020
3rd 2021

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The Devils are not trading either Palmieri or Coleman unless it's too good to pass up. Zadarov is not that player considering that they need to expect that one of the four defenseman they drafted in 2019 and Kevin Bahl will turn into a defenseman like him. Not to mention, and this is only my speculation, that the defenseman they really covet is Dylan Samberg, who could potentially be had for less depending on whether he makes it clear he won't sign with Winnipeg (not disparaging the Jets, there have just been rumblings).

Likewise the Bruins could use both players - but that being said, I am not sure how much they are looking to move off their roster as a "hockey trade"

Perhaps something like the below (without knowing what the devils are looking for):

Bruins get
Coleman
Palmieri

Devils get:
Backes (cap)
Karson Kuhlman
Trent Frederic
1st 2020
3rd 2021

Sorry, but this deal is absurd. You are not getting two playoff runs of two 30 scorers for an enormous cap dump, a fourth line center, a borderline draft bust and a pick that will probably be in the 25-31 range. Chickensh*t does not turn into chicken salad if you scoop enough of it in there.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
The Devils are not trading either Palmieri or Coleman unless it's too good to pass up. Zadarov is not that player considering that they need to expect that one of the four defenseman they drafted in 2019 and Kevin Bahl will turn into a defenseman like him. Not to mention, and this is only my speculation, that the defenseman they really covet is Dylan Samberg, who could potentially be had for less depending on whether he makes it clear he won't sign with Winnipeg (not disparaging the Jets, there have just been rumblings).

Sorry, but this deal is absurd. You are not getting two playoff runs of two 30 scorers for an enormous cap dump, a fourth line center, a borderline draft bust and a pick that will probably be in the 25-31 range. Chickensh*t does not turn into chicken salad if you scoop enough of it in there.

So what is your value or expectations? I mean sure Coleman is a versatile player but not top end talent. Palmieri is the key and in his prime years of youth was traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. I dont know about a draft bust when Frederic just turned 22 yesterday - bit early to start ringing that bell.

Either which way cap has to go back if the devils are dealing with a playoff team I guess - we all know the Devils are doing well.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Ugh.

To me, Coleman is damn near untouchable, but Zadorov is exactly what the Devils need. That's a tough one.

Gun to my head, I say no.

Bruins get
Coleman
Palmieri

Devils get:
Backes (cap)
Karson Kuhlman
Trent Frederic
1st 2020
3rd 2021

**** that to the moon and back.

Reactions: StonedAF and banks

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
So what is your value or expectations? I mean sure Coleman is a versatile player but not top end talent. Palmieri is the key and in his prime years of youth was traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. I dont know about a draft bust when Frederic just turned 22 yesterday - bit early to start ringing that bell.

Either which way cap has to go back if the devils are dealing with a playoff team I guess - we all know the Devils are doing well.

If you were talking Coleman and Palmieri right now, I want a young player as good as Necas and a first round round pick that might be in the teens. For one of them, I would expect similar value to what the Rangers got for Stepan.

Reactions: banks

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Bruins get
Coleman
Palmieri

Devils get:
Backes (cap)
Karson Kuhlman
Trent Frederic
1st 2020
3rd 2021
Awww helll no

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Lmao what? Good luck with that ridiculous ask.

lol, you’re asking for two 30 goal scorers with another year left on their deals, one of whom was able to score twenty goals last year with no power play time, is an excellent penalty killer, and is in the top five in even strength shots on goal this year.

A Necas level prospect and first is probably an underpayment. Oh, I’m sorry, I really want to take on David Backes’ contract and get a bunch of future waiver fodder instead.

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
To New Jersey
Vaakanainen
1st round pick 2020
2nd round pick 2021
Heinen
Lauzon

To Boston
Palmieri
Coleman

Two picks, and three promising young players who would get more of an opportunity than in their current situation.

Stop.

Vesakainan might be a fringe NHL player. Lauzon is waiver fodder. Heinen is a bottom six forward. The first will be in the 25-31 range.

Again, stop.

Reactions: HBK27 and banks

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Vaakaninen has high ceiling actually. This one isn’t nearly as bad as the other guys

Yep, Vaak has 26pts in 72 AHL games, and he played 30 of those games as a 19 year old. He was the #1D on the Finnish gold medal team at the WJC's. He's an elite skater, and he's looked like a 10 year vet when called up.

Lauzon is no slouch either. He's 3rd in the AHL in plus/minus, but has really made an impression when called up. He's big, he's mean, he's mobile. Last year when we had injuries to Chara and Krug he played a string of games in the first pair. Right now he's playing the right side with Gryz and killing penalties and again, looks excellent. If the playoffs started today, he'd be in the lineup. I'd say about half of the Bruins board would keep him over Vaakanainen, not because he has a higher upside but because we need what he brings.

These guys have both been the victim of Boston's depth on the left side; Chara, Grzelcyk and Krug.

Heinen is exactly what @Verdoux said they were interested in. A younger player who could do more with more opportunity. He had 47 points as a rookie but has been stuck behind Marchand and DeBrusk on the 3rd line. He's a really intelligent two-way player, but the Bruins need more of a hitter from that spot in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flannelman

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
To New Jersey
Vaakanainen
1st round pick 2020
2nd round pick 2021
Heinen
Lauzon

To Boston
Palmieri
Coleman

Two picks, and three promising young players who would get more of an opportunity than in their current situation.

That’s a lot closer than the first proposal. Part of the problem is Coleman is more valuable to the Devils than other teams (at least their fan bases) will want to pay. What would make sense for us based on this offer?

Devils: Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Backes, 2020 1st
Bruins: Palmieri, Coleman

....but I know the chance of Boston trading both prospects is practically zero, even if the Devils take the Backes contract.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Stop.

Vesakainan might be a fringe NHL player. Lauzon is waiver fodder. Heinen is a bottom six forward. The first will be in the 25-31 range.

Again, stop.
Stop.

Again, stop.

Vaakanainen is probably their top defensive prospect. He’s more of a defensive presence but he’s easily got top4 upside.

Reactions: thethinglonger

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
That’s a lot closer than the first proposal. Part of the problem is Coleman is more valuable to the Devils than other teams (at least their fan bases) will want to pay. What would make sense for us based on this offer?

Devils: Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Backes, 2020 1st
Bruins: Palmieri, Coleman

....but I know the chance of Boston trading both prospects is practically zero, even if the Devils take the Backes contract.

Yeah, honestly I was surprised to see Coleman in the OP. I didn't think he was available.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
To New Jersey
Vaakanainen
1st round pick 2020
2nd round pick 2021
Heinen
Lauzon

To Boston
Palmieri
Coleman

Surprised you think those two are worth that much. to me Heinen and Coleman are a wash at best. And I don't mean that as a shot at Coleman. Heinen is a good player, younger and very smart. I have no doubt Heinen would outproduce Coleman if he was getting the minutes Coleman is getting in New Jersey.

So that leaves a 1st, 2nd Vaak and Lauzon for Palmieri...? No shot I do that, and I like Palmieri a lot. He's my first choice for the Bruins to acquire to play with Krejci. But at this price I'm good with going for Toffoli

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Surprised you think those two are worth that much. to me Heinen and Coleman are a wash at best. And I don't mean that as a shot at Coleman. Heinen is a good player, younger and very smart. I have no doubt Heinen would outproduce Coleman if he was getting the minutes Coleman is getting in New Jersey.

So that leaves a 1st, 2nd Vaak and Lauzon for Palmieri...? No shot I do that, and I like Palmieri a lot. He's my first choice for the Bruins to acquire to play with Krejci. But at this price I'm good with going for Toffoli

Coleman plays 3 more minutes per game than Heinan but he spends those minutes on the penalty kill. Heinan also get 2:00 of power play time per game while Coleman gets basically none. So no, they are not a wash, and if Heinan got Coleman's minutes he'd score less and get scored on more. Enjoy Toffoli.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Coleman plays 3 more minutes per game than Heinan but he spends those minutes on the penalty kill. Heinan also get 2:00 of power play time per game while Coleman gets basically none. So no, they are not a wash, and if Heinan got Coleman's minutes he'd score less and get scored on more. Enjoy Toffoli.

They're a wash at best, Heinen probably has a little more value considering his age. Coleman is playing in these situations because he plays for an awful team. He wouldn't kill penalties for the Bruins. For all the talk about Coleman, he is 28 and on pace for 46 points while playing big minutes. He's a nice player, but not that good.

Reactions: PeanutButter37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad