Value of: Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Verdoux, Feb 12, 2020 at 4:27 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verdoux

Verdoux Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman are probably the only "older" players in the Devils who have some kind of trade value.

I really like both players, so I'm not overly enthusiastic to trade them, but if the Devils brass chooses otherwise, what kind of players they can expect to get back?

Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 31 Thoughts:
    13. Last week, I mentioned the Devils looking at “hockey trades,” not just rentals. I think they are looking for young players, maybe guys who would get more of an opportunity there than in their current situation. Players who can grow with Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes.

So who are these young players, guys who would get more of an opportunity there than in their current situation? Let's focus on one for one trades, no prospects or picks.

Coleman is 28 years old, and he has one year left in his contract (cap hit $1,800,000 per year). He has played 55 games and he has 21 goals and 10 assists this season.

Palmieri is 29 years old, and he also has one year left in his contract (cap hit $4,650,000 per year). He has played 51 games and he has 21 goals and 17 assists this season.

One more stat I found:

banks likes this.
  2. TanguaySauce

TanguaySauce Better Than BBQ

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Hotels
    Not sure if we're good trading partners but I've always loved Coleman and think he'd make a great fit on the Avs. Would you guys be interested in something centering around Zadorov?

3. devils29

devils29 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I
    i REALLY don’t want to trade Coleman but this would make me think

NinjaKick likes this.
  4. BearsofBeantown

BearsofBeantown Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

Likewise the Bruins could use both players - but that being said, I am not sure how much they are looking to move off their roster as a "hockey trade"

Perhaps something like the below (without knowing what the devils are looking for):

Bruins get
    Coleman
    Palmieri

Devils get:
    Backes (cap)
    Karson Kuhlman
    Trent Frederic
    1st 2020
    3rd 2021

5. Setec Astronomy

Setec Astronomy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The Devils are not trading either Palmieri or Coleman unless it's too good to pass up. Zadarov is not that player considering that they need to expect that one of the four defenseman they drafted in 2019 and Kevin Bahl will turn into a defenseman like him. Not to mention, and this is only my speculation, that the defenseman they really covet is Dylan Samberg, who could potentially be had for less depending on whether he makes it clear he won't sign with Winnipeg (not disparaging the Jets, there have just been rumblings).

Sorry, but this deal is absurd. You are not getting two playoff runs of two 30 scorers for an enormous cap dump, a fourth line center, a borderline draft bust and a pick that will probably be in the 25-31 range. Chickensh*t does not turn into chicken salad if you scoop enough of it in there.

Inno, Bet the Over, StonedAF and 10 others like this.
  6. BearsofBeantown

BearsofBeantown Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    So what is your value or expectations? I mean sure Coleman is a versatile player but not top end talent. Palmieri is the key and in his prime years of youth was traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. I dont know about a draft bust when Frederic just turned 22 yesterday - bit early to start ringing that bell.

Either which way cap has to go back if the devils are dealing with a playoff team I guess - we all know the Devils are doing well.

7. SpeakingOfTheDevils

SpeakingOfTheDevils Devils Advocate

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    N/A
    Ugh.

To me, Coleman is damn near untouchable, but Zadorov is exactly what the Devils need. That's a tough one.

Gun to my head, I say no.

**** that to the moon and back.

StonedAF and banks like this.
  8. Setec Astronomy

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    If you were talking Coleman and Palmieri right now, I want a young player as good as Necas and a first round round pick that might be in the teens. For one of them, I would expect similar value to what the Rangers got for Stepan.

banks likes this.
  9. Smitty426

Smitty426 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Zadorov yes, for Coleman, no

NinjaKick likes this.
  10. Smitty426

Smitty426 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Awww helll no

11. 780il

780il Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Lmao what? Good luck with that ridiculous ask.

Skelen and UnSandvich like this.
  12. goonybird

goonybird PhD in bodies and farmers and farmer bodies

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    for both? that's not that crazy. Is Necas better than Palmieri now? (no) will he ever be? (maybe?) Is he worth more than both Palmieri and Coleman together?

Steeler23, _Del_ and banks like this.
  13. PlayMakers

PlayMakers Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Real Estate Developer
    To New Jersey
    Vaakanainen
    1st round pick 2020
    2nd round pick 2021
    Heinen
    Lauzon

To Boston
    Palmieri
    Coleman

Two picks, and three promising young players who would get more of an opportunity than in their current situation.

Unbiased Fan likes this.
  14. Setec Astronomy

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    lol, you’re asking for two 30 goal scorers with another year left on their deals, one of whom was able to score twenty goals last year with no power play time, is an excellent penalty killer, and is in the top five in even strength shots on goal this year.

A Necas level prospect and first is probably an underpayment. Oh, I’m sorry, I really want to take on David Backes’ contract and get a bunch of future waiver fodder instead.

MilwaukeeDevil likes this.
  15. Setec Astronomy

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Stop.

Vesakainan might be a fringe NHL player. Lauzon is waiver fodder. Heinen is a bottom six forward. The first will be in the 25-31 range.

Again, stop.

HBK27 and banks like this.
  16. devils29

devils29 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Vaakaninen has high ceiling actually. This one isn’t nearly as bad as the other guys

Steeler23 likes this.
  17. PlayMakers

PlayMakers Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Real Estate Developer
    Yep, Vaak has 26pts in 72 AHL games, and he played 30 of those games as a 19 year old. He was the #1D on the Finnish gold medal team at the WJC's. He's an elite skater, and he's looked like a 10 year vet when called up.

Lauzon is no slouch either. He's 3rd in the AHL in plus/minus, but has really made an impression when called up. He's big, he's mean, he's mobile. Last year when we had injuries to Chara and Krug he played a string of games in the first pair. Right now he's playing the right side with Gryz and killing penalties and again, looks excellent. If the playoffs started today, he'd be in the lineup. I'd say about half of the Bruins board would keep him over Vaakanainen, not because he has a higher upside but because we need what he brings.

These guys have both been the victim of Boston's depth on the left side; Chara, Grzelcyk and Krug.

Heinen is exactly what @Verdoux said they were interested in. A younger player who could do more with more opportunity. He had 47 points as a rookie but has been stuck behind Marchand and DeBrusk on the 3rd line. He's a really intelligent two-way player, but the Bruins need more of a hitter from that spot in the lineup.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 10:53 PM
    Flannelman likes this.
  18. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

That’s a lot closer than the first proposal. Part of the problem is Coleman is more valuable to the Devils than other teams (at least their fan bases) will want to pay. What would make sense for us based on this offer?

Devils: Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Backes, 2020 1st
    Bruins: Palmieri, Coleman

....but I know the chance of Boston trading both prospects is practically zero, even if the Devils take the Backes contract.

19. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Vaakanainen is probably their top defensive prospect. He’s more of a defensive presence but he’s easily got top4 upside.

thethinglonger likes this.
  20. PlayMakers

PlayMakers Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Real Estate Developer
    Yeah, honestly I was surprised to see Coleman in the OP. I didn't think he was available.

21. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I don’t even know that he is and I definitely don’t think he should be, but his name is floating out there.

PlayMakers likes this.
  22. A StudNick68

A StudNick68 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Surprised you think those two are worth that much. to me Heinen and Coleman are a wash at best. And I don't mean that as a shot at Coleman. Heinen is a good player, younger and very smart. I have no doubt Heinen would outproduce Coleman if he was getting the minutes Coleman is getting in New Jersey.

So that leaves a 1st, 2nd Vaak and Lauzon for Palmieri...? No shot I do that, and I like Palmieri a lot. He's my first choice for the Bruins to acquire to play with Krejci. But at this price I'm good with going for Toffoli

FuriousGeorge37 likes this.
  23. Old Drunk Guy

Old Drunk Guy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Palmieri probably fetch similar to Zucker. A first pick and solid prospect.

banks and MichaelJ like this.
  24. Blackjack

Blackjack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Home Page:
    Coleman plays 3 more minutes per game than Heinan but he spends those minutes on the penalty kill. Heinan also get 2:00 of power play time per game while Coleman gets basically none. So no, they are not a wash, and if Heinan got Coleman's minutes he'd score less and get scored on more. Enjoy Toffoli.

Steeler23, MilwaukeeDevil and My3Sons like this.
  25. A StudNick68

A StudNick68 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    They're a wash at best, Heinen probably has a little more value considering his age. Coleman is playing in these situations because he plays for an awful team. He wouldn't kill penalties for the Bruins. For all the talk about Coleman, he is 28 and on pace for 46 points while playing big minutes. He's a nice player, but not that good.

FuriousGeorge37 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.