Player Discussion: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Top 6 needs a makeover. Freeing up some salary will help us do that.

I appreciate everything Kyle has done in an Islanders sweater but it's time to move on.

Agreed with this. I'll always like Kyle, but we need to change things up here.

I think he ends up in Detroit or Calgary. Can't see Minnesota being able to afford him.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Watch him go to TO and become transformed under Babcock.

Honestly it would not shock me in the least. You get a professional NHL coach to demand he consistently do the things he is good at, and quit trying to be something he isn't, IMO he is going to a force that we will look back on and say "wish we had that". He obviously has skills, and think all he needs is a coach who forces him into staying within himself.

The gift of Flintstone will keep on screwing us, if that happens. My hope is the coach is sent packing and we could get Kyle to stay at the $5.75-6M mark. I doubt that happens.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Honestly it would not shock me in the least. You get a professional NHL coach to demand he consistently do the things he is good at, and quit trying to be something he isn't, IMO he is going to a force that we will look back on and say "wish we had that". He obviously has skills, and think all he needs is a coach who forces him into staying within himself.

The gift of Flintstone will keep on screwing us, if that happens. My hope is the coach is sent packing and we could get Kyle to stay at the $5.75-6M mark. I doubt that happens.

Would you keep him for $6.5 lets say if we got a new coach.

MartyC

Jul 15, 2013
I'm not sure a "real " head coach could change Kyle. He was playing with John Tavares and didn't feel the need to adjust at all to facilitate more success-my opinion.
Also a little put off by the "nope-we haven't talked, all good things come to an end" attitude. Maybe I would not feel that way if he added "we tried to" or "we wanted to" " I like it here, I'd like to work something out". I've been a fan of his since he was drafted, I think his injuries have affected him. irks me when a player defends his negotiating posture with -this is a business- but when a team treats it like business he conveys insult. Capuano has to go-weight has to go- love Kyle to stay but for 5.5, 5- yrs tops

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Love Kyle and I always will, but if he's asking for too much then he has to go. We need a two way winger for JT kind of like Frans.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Could this have anything to do with it? Snow currently works for Wang and would be negotiating a long-term contract that would be paid by the new owner. And Snow doesn't necessarily know whether he will even be the GM come July 1st.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Wonder if Okposo lost out on a few more million in UFA $ based on his less than stellar playoffs. My guess is yes. Man, I was really expecting a dynamite year and an even better post season from a motivated, contract year, Okposo. Disappointing...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Could this have anything to do with it? Snow currently works for Wang and would be negotiating a long-term contract that would be paid by the new owner. And Snow doesn't necessarily know whether he will even be the GM come July 1st.

Could be, but the new owners already have a relationship with Wang and future one - they could just inquire about saying - we want him back - and approve the transaction in advance, there's no contingency here.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
KO looked useless for most of the SCP...

Definitely brought him down by a few million.

That was one of the few forwards that every team was watching...

But, we've seen this magic trick before, KO is either on a hot streak or useless

bf095bc0-a621-11e3-a531-138b3ea5b14a_fc8f6fcb523463de5b60ad3e618a8212.gif

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
KO looked useless for most of the SCP...

Definitely brought him down by a few million.

That was one of the few forwards that every team was watching...

But, we've seen this magic trick before, KO is either on a hot streak or useless

bf095bc0-a621-11e3-a531-138b3ea5b14a_fc8f6fcb523463de5b60ad3e618a8212.gif

Ovechkin is a moody player. But he has been busting his tail of for years now. I don't think anyone would accuse Ovechkin of being lazy, floating or not backchecking these days.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I wanted to trade Kyle as i always thought he was as good as gone. If we had a team that could win the cup then i keep him but i never felt we had a team good enough to win it all without a some upgrades at the trade deadline. Oh well now he will leave for nothing.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I wanted to trade Kyle as i always thought he was as good as gone. If we had a team that could win the cup then i keep him but i never felt we had a team good enough to win it all without a some upgrades at the trade deadline. Oh well now he will leave for nothing.

Unbelievable that this ridiculous logic is still out there. He's not "leaving for nothing." As the poster above mentioned, he got 8 points in the playoffs. That's 8 more than any picks/prospects would have gotten this year. And it also would've meant that one of our healthy scratches would have had to suit up for 11 more games this playoffs. Would have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced our chances against FLA. Hell if they let Okposo go at the deadline there's a good chance we get WAS in the first round. Or miss the playoffs altogether.

It's not "losing him for nothing." :shakehead It's having him for the stretch run and playoffs. Which is the most important part of the season. And the biggest reason why good teams look to ADD at the deadline. Not dump their vets.

Jesus Christ.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Would you keep him for $6.5 lets say if we got a new coach.

Dunno, I'd like to have the new coach in as soon as possible, get his thoughts on what he get out of him and if I was really excited about what I heard, possibly. Babcock is obviously very near the top of the totem pole. If we brought in a Sutter/Q, etc and they said retain, then yes I would. If we brought in only a slight improvement, probably not.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

This team has to learn how to win a playoff series before winning a cup. Trading away Okposo for AT MOST a low 1st round pick would not make up for the amount of experience they gained from winning a playoff series.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Unbelievable that this ridiculous logic is still out there. He's not "leaving for nothing." As the poster above mentioned, he got 8 points in the playoffs. That's 8 more than any picks/prospects would have gotten this year. And it also would've meant that one of our healthy scratches would have had to suit up for 11 more games this playoffs. Would have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced our chances against FLA. Hell if they let Okposo go at the deadline there's a good chance we get WAS in the first round. Or miss the playoffs altogether.

It's not "losing him for nothing." :shakehead It's having him for the stretch run and playoffs. Which is the most important part of the season. And the biggest reason why good teams look to ADD at the deadline. Not dump their vets.

Jesus Christ.

The ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup. I still would have moved him for the best assets even if meant not making the playoffs. Whatever its over with now. Will see what management does to replace his offense.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This team has to learn how to win a playoff series before winning a cup. Trading away Okposo for AT MOST a low 1st round pick would not make up for the amount of experience they gained from winning a playoff series.

Huge offseason for Islanders management. Very important to take a step forward and not a step back.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup. I still would have moved him for the best assets even if meant not making the playoffs. Whatever its over with now. Will see what management does to replace his offense.

Wow… :shakehead

So I guess we should have traded Nielsen and Martin as well. And basically trade every UFA at the deadline every year. Unless we feel we have a cup contender. But how do we know if we have a cup contender if we have a firesale every year and never make the playoffs? :laugh: Sounds a lot like 1995-2015. Those were great years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad