Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Being mistaken isn’t the same as lying....

I thought Sparks had a .889 sv%.

Either way, Mac’s numbers are still garbage, even for a backup.
Same with sparks, except he hasn't proven he's been a good backup, unlike mcelhinney has

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If we are being reasonable and fair with our critique of the farm system, then let's start with the entire point of the farm system - not to win a championship, but to develop talent.

Take a quick look at the Leafs roster - it's jam packed with Marlies graduates, almost all of whom came through while Dubas was running the farm.

Talk to us when you've figured it out

In fairness, is that largely not the work of Mark Hunter?

Reactions: Polaris1010

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
In fairness, is that largely not the work of Mark Hunter?
I'd call it 50/50. Hunter made some solid picks, but then he started picking some giants and it stopped looking as good, but the Marlies dev. system that Dubas built helped make Hunters picks what they are now, also lots of free agent signings have helped. Definitely Hunter deserves some credit, but Brown, Johnsson, Kapanen, Nylander, Hyman, Gauthier, Leivo, Kadri, to an extent Reilly, Sparks, weren't picks made by Hunter at all. We won't see Hunters boys for at least another season or two at the earliest. His only real picks were Marner, Matthews and Dermott, that are playing for our big club.

Reactions: baton elevated

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Unrelated, but what makes dubas’ tenure as marlies gm unique was that he made some really effective low-cost/risk high reward moves in froese and Holl.

Edit: panik was 1 year before dubas...it just feels like a dubas move.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Same with sparks, except he hasn't proven he's been a good backup, unlike mcelhinney has

I wouldn’t say McBackup is “proven” either. He’s been consistently mediocre the bulk of his career and had a very small amount of games where he’s played very well.

Either way, I find it hard to say the Leafs made he wrong decision here considering all the goalies thry could have gone with have underperformed.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Excuse my ignorance, but what's so special about Kyle. What makes him such a rare commodity at the young age of 32?

I understand that Shanahan likes him.

But what has HE achieved that the organization wouldn't have without him.

And lets try to stay away from the "lol! You don't know anything about hockey" responses. Tell me something I don't know.

Thanks
he wouldnt have signed a washed up plug like 39 year marleau for 3 years 6.2 mill like the hof gm lou did.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sparks may have a decent future still and we're not going to know either way unless he was given an opportunity

Going outside of the organization for a backup would have been insane, then all three of the other guys would have ended up on waivers

So what? they have all sucked anyway, At least if we had singed Halak or Khudobin or somebody else we'd have 2 NHL goalies, as it stands we have Andersen and that's it, If Andersen goes down this team is f***ed because Sparks can't carry the load.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It was absolutely right to keep the young AHL Goalie of the year over the other two. No question. Anything else would have been beyond stupid.

He might fail, but then they'll find another backup. This won't be a problem at all.

There is no might to it, despite the 2-1 record he IS failing

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Sure, but drafting is just one part of the process.

Development is the other part, and that's where Dubas deserves a lot of credit.

Trust the process.

DkPkm8HVAAALqJ-.jpg:large

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
IMO, Dubas hasn't done anything yet, I believe Tavares was coming home, it didn't matter who the GM was. We will see what this team looks like this time next season and see what he does with our RFA's, defense and back up goalie next summer

Reactions: hotpaws

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
IMO, Dubas hasn't done anything yet, I believe Tavares was coming home, it didn't matter who the GM was. We will see what this team looks like this time next season and see what he does with our RFA's, defense and back up goalie next summer

It mattered alot actually. The presentation he put together apparently had a big impact on Tavares. Unlike the Stamkos debacle, which is a bullet we dodged thankfully.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
It mattered alot actually. The presentation he put together apparently had a big impact on Tavares. Unlike the Stamkos debacle, which is a bullet we dodged thankfully.
Dubas did a good job, no doubt... but regardless of who GM was at the time JT would have still signed (Leafs pajamas, Babcock, Mitch/Auston, Shanny, etc.)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dubas did a good job, no doubt... but regardless of who GM was at the time JT would have still signed (Leafs pajamas, Babcock, Mitch/Auston, Shanny, etc.)

Maybe. The fact is though that Lou failed, and Kyle succeeded and from what we've heard, the key to Lou's failure was the presentation which is on him.

Reactions: rumman

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Yup. And he also inherited Matthews, Marner, Reilly, Andersen etc., and so the people who don't like Dubas will use these facts to justify never giving him any credit for anything even if we win 5 straight cups. They just say he got lucky and will criticize him for the backup goalie and 7th defenseman.

There's a bunch of people out there who will never like Dubas no matter what.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
How many hunter fans used to carve the leafs when Burke went for the big guys. I remember always hearing you can trade skill for size more easily.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Maybe. The fact is though that Lou failed, and Kyle succeeded and from what we've heard, the key to Lou's failure was the presentation which is on him.
Stamkos wasn't leaving a cup contender to join s bottom feeder and what was said at the time was Stamkos was only trying to drive up the offer up from the Bolts and that's why he met with the Leafs.

And if we were still a bottom feeder JT wouldn't have came here regardless of the pitch Dubas' or anyone else would have made .

Reactions: HamiltonNHL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad