Confirmed with Link: Kyle Dubas Not Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think its a good reflection of MLSEs asset management and judgement that they fired someone who immediately recieved a promotion from a competitor
Toronto being a 2nd round exit looked like Paradise to any team which missed the playoffs altogether.

Last edited:

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Silver Lining potential.

Well the good news about Dubas signing in Pittsburgh is that at least now we have a realistic potential destination for Matt Murray to go to. ;:wg:

Not only is Matt Murray a former Soo player, but a key (based on past Stanley Cup experience with Pens) and coveted player by Kyle Dubas who he claimed he needed for playoff success for Leafs.

With Pens starting goalie Tristan Jarry a pending UFA, Dubas will be looking for his next goalie, so lets strike while the iron is hot.
Oh that’s gooood, lol.

Maybe that’s why Shanahan and Treliving were so complimentary today.

Treliving: Kyle! Congratulations!
Dubas: Brad…Thanks, Brad! And, Brad, to you as well, Brad.
Treliving: So - Murray; Call it your fifth this year and dinner on me next time we’re in town.
Dubas: Brad, gimme a…second here…Brad…
Treliving: Kyle?
Dubas: It’s gotta be our third from New Jersey for that fifth in ‘24 from Chicago.
Treliving: Do you know something we don’t?
Dubas: Brad…We’ll let’s just say it’s a possibility, Brad.
Treliving: Deal.
Dubas: Brad, deal, Brad.And, Brad, thank you, Brad.
Treliving: Be well, Kyle and congrats again!
Dubas: Brad, thanks again, Brad. Brad, let’s talk soon Brad. Brad, bye, Brad.

<click>

(Oh please Lord make Pittsburgh our new farm team.)

Reactions: Mess

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You've got to understand how corporate climbers operate. The general manager Kyle Dubas chooses will not be an impressive individual. We saw the stunt Dubas tried to pull on the very man who gave him the chance of his lifetime. Climbers always hire individuals with zero chance of threatening their own position.
It sure seems that way doesn't it? Also I would add that he must see this team he has now is a real shit show. He didn't want to sit in the GM seat because he knows nobody can fix this but father time and he wants to be able to turf the guy who is going to take all the bullets for this crappola of a roster in Pittsburgh. Real crafty guy when it comes to that stuff...but I am glad he is gone in the end because he wasn't so crafty with his GM work.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What happened to you won't see me pop up anywhere?
POS

He had this in his back pocket all along. I called that out long time ago
He's not fooling anyone
He was for all intents and purposes fired, and this caused Pittsburgh to reopen their search. Pittsburgh aggressively persued him, not even waiting 24 hours before asking Toronto permission to talk to him. They convinced him to change his mind. He was never irrevocably locked in to any statements that he made. Pittsburgh even gave him the time to discuss things with his family.

• Haha
Reactions: yubbers

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Dubas Presser:

Dubas just said "maybe i was too honest that day with how i was feeling in that moment.... but thats in the past" regarding his press conference with the Leafs on May 15th. Then gave an awkward smile. I feel like he regret saying what he said that day.

The day after he was fired (May 20th), he got a call from Sam (the Pens) saying they wanted to talk to him about the job. Dubas says he didnt want to talk because he and his wife wanted to take "breather as that was their intention from earlier in the week (leafs presser on May 15th)" but his wife told him to "go in and at least meet with them (Pens ownership) ... [because] its going to be a great fit for you".

Seems like the family comments was negotiating. How can his wife have problems prior to the Monday to come back with the Leafs? Where he needs to think about re-signing with an org you were with for 9 years and less than 6 days later, his wife is encouraging him to go to another organization in another country?

Haha Dude stays playing the family card I see

Reactions: rumman

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Sure are a lot of butt hurt from people on this forum who supposedly can't stand the guy. He got fired...and he got another, better job. He's gone. You won. Move on. Sheesh. It's like all those "Kadri so good...buh buh...we got hosed!". After his return to normal this year, those yobs are suspiciously silent. As should all you other yutz's still bitching about Dubas.
:deadhorse

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

How Pittsburgh, Dubas got here

Dave Beeston, co-head of Fenway Sports Management and the Penguins’ alternate governor, oversaw a seven-week search that included at least 10 candidates for the GM position and multiple rounds of interviews.
After the Maple Leafs’ second-round playoffs loss to the Florida Panthers, Dubas said, “You won’t see me popping up elsewhere” on May 15. Four days later, Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan parted with Dubas, citing Dubas’ public remarks as a reason to doubt Dubas wanted to continue as GM in Toronto.

The Penguins were deep into their search when Dubas was fired, but quickly sought permission to speak with him, which the Maple Leafs granted. They ended up hiring him as president, a role that will oversee all of hockey operations — and he’ll presumably bring in his own GM at a later date. — Rossi

What this means for the Penguins

Dubas will inherit a powerful coach in Mike Sullivan, who has four years remaining on a contract that was extended last August.
Sullivan, a two-time Stanley Cup winner with the Penguins, is a Massachusetts native and has considerable clout with Fenway Sports Group, which is Boston-based.

Sullivan and Hextall did not click as a GM-coach partnership, but Sullivan did work well with Jim Rutherford when he was GM in Pittsburgh (2014-2021). Sullivan’s preferred style of play — an attacking, speed-skill approach — would appear to be a fit with the teams Dubas built in Toronto. Again, Dubas’ title will give him full oversight of hockey decisions.

Beeston said on April 14 that FSG’s expectation is for the Penguins to compete for the Stanley Cup with a core that consists of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang — all of whom are contractually tied to Pittsburgh for at least the next two seasons.
Malkin and Letang signed extensions last summer, and Crosby can negotiate an extension after the 2023-24 season. Dubas will have to quickly decide if Tristan Jarry is his goalie of the future, as Jarry is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Another big decision for Dubas will be whether to keep, trade or extend Jake Guentzel, Crosby’s longtime winger, who is set to enter the last season of his contract. — Rossi

This is a huge win for FSG. Dubas was clearly the guy for the Penguins, who went through weeks of GM interviews before hiring Dubas as president of hockey operations. They still need a GM, but in Dubas, FSG gets an executive whose traits remind the ownership group of Theo Epstein.

The Penguins now boast a power combo with Dubas and Mike Sullivan running the show.
— Yohe

There is 0 chance Sullivan lasts the season

Dubas doesn't like people who aren't yesman

The 19-20 team was built horrifically. In part because Dubas was trying to get Babs out

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
And annoucing a half hour before. So desperate....

Scheduling the presser right after the leafs/the announcement so he won't have to face tough questions shows how much of a p***y he actually is.

Hopefully Sid asks out at the deadline when he has to put up with Keefe for half a season and we can swindle him

Reactions: CincoHolio

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm still a little bit puzzled by how Dubas became such a hot commodity that Pittsburgh is begging him to come to their team. It has gone over my head for sure whatever it is... I get the guy has style, but style doesn't win hockey games as we've seen first hand. I'll take Al Bundy. He scored 4 TDs in a single game at Polk High.

Reactions: rumman and sxvnert

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is great news that the penguins hired him. Should move some of the rift raft here to the penguins board.
some? it's going to be a nice change of pace not dealing with a bunch of nerd loving fan boys.......

Going from Burke/Hexstal to Dubas/whoever is quite an upgrade. Dubas played this perfectly. The criticism he is getting in this thread doesn't make sense honestly. At least there seems to be a rivalry here which is cool.
please tell me you just became a Pen's fan.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad