Confirmed with Link: Kyle Dubas Not Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
What did I say that was incorrect or as you phrase it a load of shit.

One guy left on his terms and one guy was told to go home early - before that contract expired even. Expecting them to both react the same way is a bit naive. I am no Dubas fan but we only heard Shanny's side of the story. I am also no fan of Shanny.

Are we so insecure that we need Dubas to say nice things about Toronto after he was fired?

He had no obligation to say nice things about Toronto, and neither did Treliving re. Calgary. The point I was making is that it showcases a difference in class and respect for those whom you built with relationships with and gave you an opportunity in the first place.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
The logic is “I wear a suit and I want the big boy pants to match.” And in Pittsburgh he just went from Ron Hextall career level to Brian Burke level. Not bad at all for 37.

I take this all in as sports as drama and entertainment.
100%, good on him for laddering up on hype. I don't think he does well in that role but we will see

Leafs will be fine

Reactions: myleafs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How is that Dubas is allowed to run the Draft for Pittsburgh but Treliving is not?

What did I miss here?

Teams are free to set conditions on guys who are still technically under contract. Some choose to do so, some don't.

I don't believe MLSE has a habit of setting conditions on their former guys - though they have outright refused on occasion another teams request to interview am MLSE employee

Reactions: hockeywiz542

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I think Dubas is free to be as cut throat and Machiavellian as he wants to be. He’s building his career and has accomplished more in the game than guys a couple decades older and poised to do even more. Very impressive before the age of 40. He’s free to ask for whatever he wants (others are free to say no).

I guess my big comment is do all that stuff. Great. Just don’t frame it like you’re such a Good Human. That last part just is just overkill.
So glad we could sacrifice the best opportunity this franchise had seen in decades so he could play Wall Street.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
So glad we could sacrifice the best opportunity this franchise had seen in decades so he could play Wall Street.
Thats exactly my feelings too, this team was loaded with rookie deal stars and a ton of talent ready to go for multiple years and we punted away a lot of that depth for on the job training for someone looking to climb the corporate ladder.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

How Pittsburgh, Dubas got here

Dave Beeston, co-head of Fenway Sports Management and the Penguins’ alternate governor, oversaw a seven-week search that included at least 10 candidates for the GM position and multiple rounds of interviews.
After the Maple Leafs’ second-round playoffs loss to the Florida Panthers, Dubas said, “You won’t see me popping up elsewhere” on May 15. Four days later, Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan parted with Dubas, citing Dubas’ public remarks as a reason to doubt Dubas wanted to continue as GM in Toronto.

The Penguins were deep into their search when Dubas was fired, but quickly sought permission to speak with him, which the Maple Leafs granted. They ended up hiring him as president, a role that will oversee all of hockey operations — and he’ll presumably bring in his own GM at a later date. — Rossi

What this means for the Penguins

Dubas will inherit a powerful coach in Mike Sullivan, who has four years remaining on a contract that was extended last August.
Sullivan, a two-time Stanley Cup winner with the Penguins, is a Massachusetts native and has considerable clout with Fenway Sports Group, which is Boston-based.

Sullivan and Hextall did not click as a GM-coach partnership, but Sullivan did work well with Jim Rutherford when he was GM in Pittsburgh (2014-2021). Sullivan’s preferred style of play — an attacking, speed-skill approach — would appear to be a fit with the teams Dubas built in Toronto. Again, Dubas’ title will give him full oversight of hockey decisions.

Beeston said on April 14 that FSG’s expectation is for the Penguins to compete for the Stanley Cup with a core that consists of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang — all of whom are contractually tied to Pittsburgh for at least the next two seasons.
Malkin and Letang signed extensions last summer, and Crosby can negotiate an extension after the 2023-24 season. Dubas will have to quickly decide if Tristan Jarry is his goalie of the future, as Jarry is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Another big decision for Dubas will be whether to keep, trade or extend Jake Guentzel, Crosby’s longtime winger, who is set to enter the last season of his contract. — Rossi

This is a huge win for FSG. Dubas was clearly the guy for the Penguins, who went through weeks of GM interviews before hiring Dubas as president of hockey operations. They still need a GM, but in Dubas, FSG gets an executive whose traits remind the ownership group of Theo Epstein.

The Penguins now boast a power combo with Dubas and Mike Sullivan running the show.
— Yohe

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

How Pittsburgh, Dubas got here

Dave Beeston, co-head of Fenway Sports Management and the Penguins’ alternate governor, oversaw a seven-week search that included at least 10 candidates for the GM position and multiple rounds of interviews.
After the Maple Leafs’ second-round playoffs loss to the Florida Panthers, Dubas said, “You won’t see me popping up elsewhere” on May 15. Four days later, Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan parted with Dubas, citing Dubas’ public remarks as a reason to doubt Dubas wanted to continue as GM in Toronto.

The Penguins were deep into their search when Dubas was fired, but quickly sought permission to speak with him, which the Maple Leafs granted. They ended up hiring him as president, a role that will oversee all of hockey operations — and he’ll presumably bring in his own GM at a later date. — Rossi

What this means for the Penguins

Dubas will inherit a powerful coach in Mike Sullivan, who has four years remaining on a contract that was extended last August.
Sullivan, a two-time Stanley Cup winner with the Penguins, is a Massachusetts native and has considerable clout with Fenway Sports Group, which is Boston-based.

Sullivan and Hextall did not click as a GM-coach partnership, but Sullivan did work well with Jim Rutherford when he was GM in Pittsburgh (2014-2021). Sullivan’s preferred style of play — an attacking, speed-skill approach — would appear to be a fit with the teams Dubas built in Toronto. Again, Dubas’ title will give him full oversight of hockey decisions.

Beeston said on April 14 that FSG’s expectation is for the Penguins to compete for the Stanley Cup with a core that consists of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang — all of whom are contractually tied to Pittsburgh for at least the next two seasons.
Malkin and Letang signed extensions last summer, and Crosby can negotiate an extension after the 2023-24 season. Dubas will have to quickly decide if Tristan Jarry is his goalie of the future, as Jarry is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Another big decision for Dubas will be whether to keep, trade or extend Jake Guentzel, Crosby’s longtime winger, who is set to enter the last season of his contract. — Rossi

This is a huge win for FSG. Dubas was clearly the guy for the Penguins, who went through weeks of GM interviews before hiring Dubas as president of hockey operations. They still need a GM, but in Dubas, FSG gets an executive whose traits remind the ownership group of Theo Epstein.

The Penguins now boast a power combo with Dubas and Mike Sullivan running the show.
— Yohe
Yes, they totally pivoted and offered this much control to their organization in 4 days :D

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thats exactly my feelings too, this team was loaded with rookie deal stars and a ton of talent ready to go for multiple years and we punted away a lot of that depth for on the job training for someone looking to climb the corporate ladder.

I’m surprised Dubas took the Penguins job. In a year’s time they could look like a lottery team like Washington and St. Louis this year.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The Penguins were deep into their search when Dubas was fired, but quickly sought permission to speak with him, which the Maple Leafs granted.

If you believe this I have some snake oil I'd love to sell you

5Ef.gif

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

what depth did we punt away? exactly? it also got replaced.

and again - i'm not defending Dubas here, but it is always so frustrating that people tend to always lay the blame at his feet - but not lay some at the players. a lot of people here love babying them and not give them any kind of ownership. they didn't really set the world on fire during the playoffs either. they don't seem to really want to do what it takes either. starting with Matthews. for the record. and working all the way down.

not to mention had Dubas [OR ANYONE] here put their foot down (as they should have) and not given those guys the moon, then people woulld be whinging that we were wasting their years by having them sit out etc etc etc. but that's mostly because most teams refuse to let their younger players earn anything anymore they just throw them money and terms and NTC/NMCs all the time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad